9 to 5
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dress Code

My office has a casual business dress code in place.  We are not allowed to wear jeans except for casual Fridays. 

There is a co-worker of mine who wears jeans every now and then, some days back to back...THEN...another one started doing the same thing.....should I ask my supervisor again if the dress code has changed?

What would you do?

[Poll]
Anniversary ExerciseMilestone ExerciseMilestone

Re: Dress Code

• I'd be super casual about it, but yeah, I would say something. What annoys me about people who abuse dress codes is that supervisors tend to not want to say something. But if they know others are noticing and questioning, it might move them to do something.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• My company has 2 sites. The larger site tends to follow the dress code more stringently (due to the presence of HR), but the smaller one is more of an anything goes atmosphere. People will regularly wear jeans on days other than Friday. As long as they're not meeting clients on those days, no one really makes a big deal out of it.

Why do you want to bring it up with your supervisor? Do you want the code enforced, or do you want to be able to wear jeans on a random Tuesday?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our little Irish rose came to us on March 5, 2010
    Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • I would casually bring it in conversation.
  • I would like to be able to wear jeans as well....just to be comfortable.

Jeans is just easier all the way around.

Anniversary ExerciseMilestone ExerciseMilestone
  • It sounds to me like your coworkers have taken it upon themselves to "fudge" the dresscode. I wouldn't speak to your boss or you're looking like a tattle tale. But I also wouldn't start wearing jeans more than you're supposed to.

I worked in a "business casual" environment and a number of my coworkers wore jeans regularly, and after quite a while, some of those coworkers were reprimanded. Those of us who continued to stay professional remained in good standing in our boss' eyes and it was clear we were more in tune with what was necessary, especially for meeting with VIPs.

• I would probably casually ask if the dress code changed like you said, without calling out anyone in particular. I'd also be careful to do it on a day that those coworkers were following the dress code so you don't look like a tattle tale. Becuase if it changed I'd want to be able to wear jeans sometimes, too.
    [IMG]http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/tanyaforpresident/photoshoot_zps71a58861.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/tanyaforpresident/zombie_zps45403a27.jpg[/IMG]

Daughter b. Oct 12 January Siggy Challenge Favorite Moment of 2012 My zombie 5th anniversary.
  • I wouldn't bring it up.  I have bigger fish to fry at work than concerning myself with the jeans that others are wearing.   I'm surprised that everyone else would say something.  To me this is such a non-issue and seems so petty.  If I were a supervisor I wold think, "Really?  This is what you knocked on my door to ask me?  Do you have that much free time on your hands?"

But then, I get to wear jeans to work. 

• imagemarcylth:

It sounds to me like your coworkers have taken it upon themselves to "fudge" the dresscode. I wouldn't speak to your boss or you're looking like a tattle tale. But I also wouldn't start wearing jeans more than you're supposed to.

I worked in a "business casual" environment and a number of my coworkers wore jeans regularly, and after quite a while, some of those coworkers were reprimanded. Those of us who continued to stay professional remained in good standing in our boss' eyes and it was clear we were more in tune with what was necessary, especially for meeting with VIPs.

This.  And as another poster asked... don't you have bigger fish to fry?  I sure do. I might deviate from this if the people were meeting with customers and you think it is affecting the perception of the company.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker