9 to 5
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Help me update my wardrobe

Hi Nesties,

I just got this fabulous new job at a big corporation. I will be leaving a more casual smaller company (non-profit) and my wardrobe is in need of a corporate upgrade. I'm in California so I don't need to go completely black suit formal but I think the "granny sweaters" and kakhi pants won't fly. What do you wear to your corporate gigs? Where do you purchase work clothes?

So excited! Thanks for your help.

Re: Help me update my wardrobe

• You should definitely check out the Fashion & Beauty board here.

I'd check out Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft as a starting spot for decent work clothes. I do well at Nordstroms (and the Rack) and Macy's too.

Good luck with the new job!

• Banana Republic

Express

Ann Taylor Loft

• Congrats!

Much to my surprise I've found The Limited to be a great source of tops to wear with suits.  They're stylish and reasonably good quality.

• Congrats on your new position! I think the suggestions of Ann Taylor and Banana Republic are great ones. New York and Co is one that I really like. I think they are a little more work appropriate than Express, and have better prices.
  • imageJynxey:
    Congrats on your new position! I think the suggestions of Ann Taylor and Banana Republic are great ones. New York and Co is one that I really like. I think they are a little more work appropriate than Express, and have better prices.

Be careful with NY&Co clothes - most of their dress pants seem to fall apart after just a few wears (for me anyway).  I love love love their button down shirts and their camisoles, though.

Ann Taylor Loft is my #1 work clothes go-to store. Lots of cute, professional clothes and pretty reasonable prices - they run tons of sales, so keep an eye out for coupons or good sale weekends to shop.

I really love Banana Republic and J.Crew, but they are much more expensive. I only shop there when they have big sales going on.

You can also score great deals at Kohl's, especially on the basics.  My very favorite pair of dress pants I got for $20 at Kohl's. The Lauren Conrad and Elle lines have some very cute pieces.

Congrats and Good Luck!

imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congratulations on the new job! I actually just bought a new wardrobe (weight loss, unfortunately not a new job - both good, though) and I was very strategic about it. Here's some of what I did:

• Buy clothes that can all really blend together. For me, it was lots of blacks, browns, neutral greens, navys, and ivorys. Then I can wear almost every top with almost every bottom.
    • Pants: I went with GAP for all of my pants. They have a pant line called "perfect trouser" and they are literally perfect. I bought three pair of black, a brown pinstripe, grey, and navy pinstripe. These have been my staples.
    • Tops: The Limited is fantastic for good quality thin sweaters. I echo what PP said, stay away from NY&C. Great for accessories, but their clothes quality is terrible.
    • Jackets: I also invested in some staple jackets. Black, navy, brown tweed, brown canvas, and a couple of fun patterned jackets as well. Again, they go with many of the sweaters I bought and I can wear them with almost any pair of pants too.
    Hope that helps. Like I said,the biggest key to building a wardrobe is to stick in a similar color family so you have a lot of options to mix and match.
  • Kohls, Express, NY&Co, etc.

Congrats/GL

Anniversary
  • I love Ann Taylor....great quality and style.  Also, like Banana Republic
    10/10 Sept. Siggy: 1st Anniversary Ideas- a weekend away at our favorite B&B in NH
    [IMG]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/chelley599/spring-image-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Express is a fave of mine for shirts.

I LOVE dress pants from Victoria's Secret. A lot of cuts & fits.