Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

have to vent here- DH wouldn't understand the need to vent this

its really small and insignificant- but I am a venter- it helps me get stuff out and not boil up till I break and 'take out' others-lol.

MIL/FIL know we (DH and I) are not outdoorsy people at all. The subject of gardening, etc has came up in the past and they know we can't and don't like to do such things.

The extent of our 'gardening' involves DH cutting the grass (weeds mostly, its not a pretty yard by no means!) during the summer every other week.

ok, on to today- I get a card in the mail that can be planted and flowers will grow from it.

Here's my vent- I don't like the outside (well unless I'm sunbathing at the beach-lol). I don't like the dirt, to garden, etc, etc.... I really don't think its a slip of mind thing like they just forgot we don't 'do outside' I think they are trying to get us to enjoy their hobby.

Its no big deal, eye roll worthy really. They do not live local so it not like they'd see it planted or not. And I just needed to get this out because if I pent it up all day until DH gets home it will come out much too gripey and grumpy instead of a 'oh, look what we got' thing.

Re: have to vent here- DH wouldn't understand the need to vent this

• I hear ya!  My IL's miss the mark often w/ us too and yeah - when you feel like they don't listen or CHOOSE not to listen, it's really annoying.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Ew gardening lol.

That is annoying that they would send something like that.

• I think I often make the same mistake that your MIL and FIL did. I see something that I would like to get as a gift, or think is really cute/clever, and get all excited to give it to someone else. Usually I'm pretty sure that the recipient isn't going to HATE it, but yes...sometimes it may be more up my alley than theirs.  Confused

You're right, it's really not a big deal. At least they sent a card at all! Some in laws aren't even that sentimental. So just take it as a nice gesture, and DEFINITELY don't complain to DH about it. It's really not that bad. Just appreciate the gesture of a card, and feel better that you got to vent about it here. Good choice!

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k613/nycartist/16755_197219638704_518460_n.jpg[/IMG]
  • I have a family member who truly believes that I just need to be exposed to the great outdoors in order to learn to love it. I grew up in the country, the outdoors and I are well acquainted. My idea of camping is an hotel without room service.

Last year for Christmas she sent me a membership to a campground club that is worldwide and a gift card for a camping store.

Its not that she hates me, or doesn't listen to me, I just think she doesnt get why anyone would not love camping as much as she does.

Maybe your inlaws are like that.

• Maybe it's because I do like gardening but I would think that a little card that you just plant in the ground and it grows would be a good gift for someone who doesn't like to garden, it's super simple to do and you get flowers. Really I think maybe they were just trying to be nice especially knowing that you don't like to do much outside, it's like gardening for non-gardeners. If I got someone something like that though I wouldn't care if they didn't actually use it. And I'd probably tell them "thanks, lovely gesture but unfortunately we really avoid gardening to the extreme, we probably won't use this but we have a neighbor/friend/someone that would definitely use this, we'll pass it along to them"

• My MIL sometimes sends us religious books.  She knows damnwell that we aren't religious.  It can be annoying, but it's nothing to get upset over.  I just thank her graciously for the book and forget about it.  I would thank you ILs for the card and deposit it in the circular file. 
  • You are not a "venter" you are a complainer... You either have way to much time on your hands and need a hobby (like gardening, lol) or your life is too good to be true and this is the only thing wrong.. Get it together, listen to your hubby and stop "venting"
  • image heymistay:
    You are not a "venter" you are a complainer... You either have way to much time on your hands and need a hobby (like gardening, lol) or your life is too good to be true and this is the only thing wrong.. Get it together, listen to your hubby and stop "venting"
  • So you are venting that MIL/FIL sent you a card that has seeds in it?  Do you take everything they do as a criticism?  To me it sounds like you are grasping at things to be annoyed at them with....
    Blog: Not to be Koi

Sara, Friend?
    glove slap. I don't take crap.
  • image heymistay:
    You are not a "venter" you are a complainer... You either have way to much time on your hands and need a hobby (like gardening, lol) or your life is too good to be true and this is the only thing wrong.. Get it together, listen to your hubby and stop "venting"

I gotta say... I agree with this.  Please count your blessings, take a look at the bigger picture and THANK your in-laws for thinking of you in the first place. 

• This reminds me of how my mother and extended relatives would buy me brightly colored, ruffly clothes as a teenager during my goth phase.  I hate it when people thinks it's a gift when they get you something they think you should like instead of stopping for a moment to think of what you might actually like.
  • My niece- Ms. Sustainable Earth Urban Garden Projects gave my son one of these at Christmas. I thought he was going to tell her to shove it. WTF? was she thinking. Seriously?
  • this reminds me of that part in the movie, my big fat greek wedding, where ian tells aunt vula that he doesnt east meat, hes a vegetarian and she says... its ok ill make lamb. ahaha

maybe your il love gardening so much they cant seem to comprehend who would'nt love it at ALL. maybe they sent the card thing like.. ooo this is something even THEY can do... anyway, it doesnt sound like a big deal, just typical il being il. 

• Eh...my MIL constantly harrasses me to start baking.  She sends me recipes and has bought me baking cookbooks.  I hate to bake and hate sweets in general.  But I thank her and get over it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Lil'BlackDress:

Maybe it's because I do like gardening but I would think that a little card that you just plant in the ground and it grows would be a good gift for someone who doesn't like to garden, it's super simple to do and you get flowers. Really I think maybe they were just trying to be nice especially knowing that you don't like to do much outside, it's like gardening for non-gardeners. If I got someone something like that though I wouldn't care if they didn't actually use it. And I'd probably tell them "thanks, lovely gesture but unfortunately we really avoid gardening to the extreme, we probably won't use this but we have a neighbor/friend/someone that would definitely use this, we'll pass it along to them"

I am going to go with this one. 

[IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu52/Iluminespics/IMG_4759.jpg[/IMG]
  • ha ha ha im sorry but i know exactly what you mean there are some things my IL's do that are eye roll worthy and its best if you let that be known to some one else who has nothing to do with it and get it off your chest.. even if it is silly. or you will blow your top the next time they do something that is only "eye roll worthy" thats never good. at least they sent u something and at least they will never know if you use it or not. if your like me the flowers would never grow any way . lol i couldnt keep a flower alive to save my life.
  • I'm very active- I love to hike, bike, XC ski, etc.  My BFF hates to do most of these things- I once asked her to go on a 20-mile ride and she responded that she would just drive the 20 miles and meet me at the end.  But, I still ask her to do active things with me (when they're not too strenuous).  It isn't that I'm trying to convert her- I'm just trying to include her in an activity that I love.  So instead of asking her to go on a 20-mile ride with me again, I ask her to go on a short hike with some beautiful scenery.

I think the card was meant for the same reason.  They're not trying to turn you into a gardener- they're just trying to give you some of the benefits of the hobby they enjoy while still making it as easy as possible for you, someone that doesn't enjoy gardening and may appreciate the ease of the gift. 

• My mom sent me a card like that once.  I told her I was going to cut the card up and plant it in a pot so I could enjoy it on my kitchen window sill.

My mom was silent for a minute.  Then she asked why on earth would I cut a card up and stick it in a pot.  She had no idea the card she had sent had seeds embedded in the paper.  She just thought it was a pretty card with a nice message and didn't read the "fine print."

Just sayin'.