Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dinner this week

I'm in a menu planning rut.  What are you all cooking for dinner this week?  Here's my plan:

Tonight:  Brats and potato salad

Monday:  Beef and Guinness stew with green salad

Tuesday:  Turkey tacos with avocado and tomato salad

Wednesday:  Leftovers

Thursday:  Spicy orange shrimp, brown rice, green beans

Friday:  ? 

Re: Dinner this week

• I'm currently eating goat cheese and crackers and chips and cream cheese salsa for dinner, so you could say meal planning isn't my forte.

I am going to try a new curry lentils and brown rice recipe sometime this week.

Do you have a recipe for the beef and Guiness stew? That sounds good.

• I used this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/beef-and-guinness-stew-recipe2/index.html

I made it today for dinner tomorrow, and it smells really good.  I added a cup of beef broth because it seemed like it needed more liquid. 

• Does Ian eat all of that too Kay? All of our sausage is super spicy so I haven't been able to get B to try any of that yet.

Tonight - Mac & Cheese and salad

Monday - Whole chicken done in the crockpot, roasted potatoes, peas and corn (B will eat all of this)

Tuesday - Beef stew in the crockpot (B will eat this)

Wednesday - Chicken fajitas (B will eat this if I leave the spices out - because I make them hot)

Thursday - Leftover stew

Friday - BLT's (we shall see if he eats it - never tried)

• Tonight - slow cooker chicken burritos

Tomorrow - shrimp fried rice

Tuesday - lettuce wraps

wednesday - leftovers

thursday - chicken gumbo

friday - out to eat

Baby Boxer is coming! 5.23.12
    www.focushunting.com
  • Unfortunately, Ian eats none of this.  He has about five things we rotate in on a regular basis.  
  • Tonight:  Beer can chicken, mac & cheese, and zucchini

Mon:  Leftovers

Tues:  Spaghetti with meat sauce (chicken/beef mix) and broccoli

Wed:  chicken fajitas

Thurs:  Bertolli (the horror) ravioli and sauce from a jar

Fri:  Order something

• I never know what B will eat. Sometimes he will eat something and then the next time we have it he won't go near it. So I always have things like cottage cheese, avocado's and cheese on hand because I know that he will eat a butt load of them.
  • Monday:  burrito bowls

Tuesday: Fish, sweet potato fries, salad

Wednesday: Leftover lentil soup

Thursday: Spaghetti and salad or Penne with vodka sauce and shrimp

Friday: Stir fry

Caroline 5/15/11
  • Last night we made Asian glazed drumsticks, green beans & rice, they were delish!

Tonight we made this Chicken pot pie, salad. It was okay. The phyllo was kind of blah.

roasted butternut squash pasta, salad, garlic bread

Pork fried rice  (from WW site)

hamburgers and oven fries

turkey tacos, refried beans

Leftovers sometime too. Or brinner. 

image Ready to rumble.
  • mmmmm Brinner.
    Caroline 5/15/11
  • Sparrow's husband is cracking me up. The next time Noisy goes to the vet she should bring along some slings.

Tonight: baked penne w/gorgonzola w/rosemary sweet potatoes

Monday: beans and rice w/sweet potatoes, salsa and plantains

Tuesday: sandwiches (avocado, pepper cheese, fakon and fried eggs) w/roasted potatoes

Wednesday: chili and cornbread (will use up avocados, cheese and salsa)

Thursday: potato leek soup with cheddar-chive scones

Friday: homemade pizza w/whatever veggies I find

I discovered tonight that Dimi really likes gorgonzola. The only foods he really won't even try are broccoli and cauliflower.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • Tonight we had chicken teriyaki stir fry with pineapple, bell pepper, and snow peas over brown rice.

Tomorrow it's Italian wedding soup ala Trader Joe's. Only they don't stock chard anymore so I use their Southern greens. I think I like it better that way anyway. Those turkey meatballs are huge and only 1 point each. We had them last night with sauce over fettucine.

That's really as far as I've gotten, but if history repeats itself...later this week will be homemade pizza with prosciutto, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and red bell peppers. I'm sure we will also have chicken nuggets and broccoli too. Maybe I'll make some beef stew for a change. Perhaps some turkey chili and baked potatoes too.

Someday I'll have the time to cook fun things again.

Sean is eating more and more finger food. He had noodles with olive oil and cheese last night. He tried some mango tonight and enjoyed it immensely. So far the only thing he really doesn't like is green peas. This is unfortunate because I love peas.

The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
  • Are you doing the whole or pureed? Dimi loves them whole, won't touch them smooshed.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • Last night we had taco salad. Tonight we are on our own because I have a class from 5-8 and my H has a meeting. Then sometime this week we are having spareribs in the crockpot (with a veg), fish sticks with a veg, barbecue chicken pita pizzas, and bacon and pancakes. Saturday we will probably go out.
  • Monday:  Baked Chx Dijon and Lime and Sweet Potato Fries

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/08/baked-chicken-with-dijon-and-lime.html 

Tues:  Jambalaya

Wed:  Spaghetti w/ Meatballs

Thurs:  Scallops and saffron risotto

Fri:  order in

image Mabel the Loser.
  • Last night we made the black bean chili recipe from the latest Bon App.  It has butternut squash and bulgar in it and it was awesome.  Lots of kick.  We topped it with some leftover slow cooker barbacoa from last week since it was otherwise meatless.  We'll have that as leftovers one night.

Also doing:  stuffed peppers with raw veggies on the side, pork chops and broccoli, steaks with spinach & tomatoes.  We always do one night of delivery (not Digiornio).

Mucho will have tastes of some of that, but she eats earlier so it is usually our leftovers from the night before.  Someday we'll get her on the same dinner schedule as us.  She is all about finger foods right now, but will still take some purees, especially if I thicken them and let her give it a go with the spoon.  She's pretty good when she wants to be, but the threat of a flying spoon is ever present.

Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • We eat these chicken kebabs regularly. When it's cold out and I don't want to grill them, I broil them (6 mins one side, 5 mins the other). You do need to let them marinade for a while.

We ate Moroccan chicken for the first time last week and it was delcious. I recommend pounding the chicken before rubbing the spices on so that it cooks more evenly.

11/11/11 = 5 years. Woah!
  • We had some leftover butternut squash from the chili that I cut into small cubes and roasted with cinnamon for MC finger food.  She housed it and was kicking so vigorously with joy that I thought she might launch herself out of the high chair.
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes