Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

S/O Funny Parenting Techniques

I loved a response to the post below about a mom having sisters hold hands when they were arguing.  What funny/embarrassing/shameful parenting technique did your parents use?

My sister and I used to hate it when people stared at us.  This was a very snobby attitude that we had as tweens/teenagers.  When we would complain about it to my mom, she would tell us to pick our nose and they would stop staring.  Of course, she was joking, but we would be so disgusted that we would forget about that person staring.

Re: S/O Funny Parenting Techniques

• You know the nose picking technique is one used to put off predators too.  I read a suggestion that if you feel someone is stalking you, say, on a lonely street you can pick your nose, gag and overall make yourself undesirable.  One woman forced herself to vomit after being forced to her knees in a subway during an attempted forcible oral assault.  He got disgusted and shoved her away and moved on.

As for parenting technique, I HATED that "hug your sister" when you were spitting mad.  It seemed so disgusting.  I was also smart enough to think, 'why bother if its not genuine, mom?'.

• imagefoundmydr1:

You know the nose picking technique is one used to put off predators too.  I read a suggestion that if you feel someone is stalking you, say, on a lonely street you can pick your nose, gag and overall make yourself undesirable.  One woman forced herself to vomit after being forced to her knees in a subway during an attempted forcible oral assault.  He got disgusted and shoved her away and moved on.

I went to a police protection seminar when there had been a rape in my town.  The officer suggested defecating, or at least peeing on the predator as one way to get them to back off.

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • I get the pee idea but can you imagine how hard it would be to defecate on demand?
    But great, and easy ideas to spread around.......shouldn't be too hard to act gross when you are grossed out by some jerk.

• imagefoundmydr1:

I get the pee idea but can you imagine how hard it would be to defecate on demand?

Thankfully, I have never been in a situation where I would have to try.

I do remember the officer saying it was the most effective deterrant - for good reason!

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • imagefoundmydr1:

I get the pee idea but can you imagine how hard it would be to defecate on demand?
    But great, and easy ideas to spread around.......shouldn't be too hard to act gross when you are grossed out by some jerk.

It's actually not that hard. When under that kind of duress, the body naturally evacuates. It's a biological.

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • Livinitup- you know after I pushed POST I thought of that........but there is the whole "hang on while I drop trou" problem.  But yeah, I think that would be easy under that kind of stress/fright.
  • imagefoundmydr1:
    Livinitup- you know after I pushed POST I thought of that........but there is the whole "hang on while I drop trou" problem.  But yeah, I think that would be easy under that kind of stress/fright.

well, I assume you wouldn't drop trou...

as far as funny, my dead imaginary brother.  (please note, I never had a brother)

when giving us safety instructions, 'that's what happened to Timmy' is a running family joke.

Timmy was electrocuted and then drowned.  He may have been shot first and the like.  It sounds disturbing but...really, it was just FUNNY. 

• imageGBCK:

imagefoundmydr1:
    Livinitup- you know after I pushed POST I thought of that........but there is the whole "hang on while I drop trou" problem.  But yeah, I think that would be easy under that kind of stress/fright.

well, I assume you wouldn't drop trou...

as far as funny, my dead imaginary brother.  (please note, I never had a brother)

when giving us safety instructions, 'that's what happened to Timmy' is a running family joke.

Timmy was electrocuted and then drowned.  He may have been shot first and the like.  It sounds disturbing but...really, it was just FUNNY. 

Okay, I love this and may have to start it in my family.  No Timmy though.  We actually have a few Tims in the family.

April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image