Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Frustrated and in need of me time

Our oldest DD asked if I'd play barbie with her.  I told her in 20 minutes.  I need some downtime.  DD got upset and started to cry; I really need a few minutes to myself.  DH scolds me for making her cry.  Seriously?  He spent all day yesterday watching sports on tv; I spent the day cleaning house and doing laundry. 

I don't think I'm evil for asking for 20 minutes to myself.  He got up and is now playing barbie with her.  He just pisses me off that he has the balls to scold me when I work 4 days a week outside the home and yet he helps so little around the house.  I basically work 2 FT jobs.  He gets the weekend to "recharge his batteries" when do I get to "recharge mine"?

Just needed to vent.

Re: Frustrated and in need of me time

• I guess my biggest comfort is just this past Wednesday my hours got cut at work so I'll be working 3 days a week instead of 4.
  • Sounds like it is time for a Come To Jesus talk with the H.
    Hope is not a strategy.
  • imagebryans4:

I work 4 days a week outside the home and yet he helps so little around the house.  I basically work 2 FT jobs.  He gets the weekend to "recharge his batteries" when do I get to "recharge mine"?

Have you talked to him about this?  At a time when you aren't upset, talk to him. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• You are absolutely right.  That is unfair. He can play Barbies with her just as much as you can.  Trust me,  my husband plays tea party, picnic, grocery store and has done his fair share of painting toenails.  You need to tell his about the inequality in this relationship.

FWIW, I too sometimes  feel guilty when I don't always play with  my daughter.  Don't get me wrong, I will spend hours on the floor with her playing with make up, colorining in color books, putting on costume jewelry and pretending to make cookies; however, sometimes I also need down time and she needs to understand that she needs to wait or play by her self for a while.  In fact, it is good for kids to play alone sometimes. 

• You need to sit his a&& down and have a talk with him. you need to set a schedule for your time each weekend. End of story.

• talk to him and let him know about your frustrations.
  • i see a few issues here. first and foremost-dh scolding? no no no. that's unacceptable. he would've gotten quite a response from me.

2nd i see is that it seems like your DD is in charge. she asks for something, you say no, she cries and daddy gives in. she's getting what you said no to.

also though-your dh clearly enjoys the situation-he gets to recharge and you just keep on doing all that you're oding. why would he pitch in? you do it all. perhaps if you stop it might wake him up a bit.

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • imagealithebride:

2nd i see is that it seems like your DD is in charge. she asks for something, you say no, she cries and daddy gives in. she's getting what you said no to.

This is an excellent point too.  Your DD needs to learn that she can't always get what she wants.  You and your DH need to back each other up or you're going to raise a child who always goes to the other parent when she doesn't get the answer she wants from the first.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Why did your H watch tv all day if you were cleaning and doing laundry? Does he ever do his share?

Also you and your H need to be a united front. 

I think it's past time you sat down together and figured things out.

• I would be sitting his butt down too and having a nice little conversation with him. Trust me, it works.