Decorating & Renovating
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What colour countertops on white kitchen cabinets? PIP

Hello Ladies,

I have just bought my first home, and while it needs a new coat of paint I was wondering if any of you have any ideas for nice countertop colours or styles in a kitchen with super white cabinets.  

I actually like the cabinets and they are in fantastic condition as is - I do plan on changing out the countertops and the knobs though.  I can't stand the blue laminate and country kitchen feel.  

We are probably going to go with a more neutral wall shade throughout the kitchen, dining room and living room area.  They all have to be the same colour since it's an incredibly open floor plan.  The current colour is a little too baby-poop brown for me :)

TIA!

Re: What colour countertops on white kitchen cabinets? PIP

• Ugh, that blue laminate does kind of suck.  My parents used the same thing (with very similar white cabinets) in their laundry room.  I was glad to see it go recently.

You could go in any of a million different directions that would all be great.  I'd just avoid something that's mostly white/cream.image

• I have white cabinets and did have whtie counter tops too. Yuck! Just got them replaced with LG Hi-Macs Mesa Granite. Here is the post.

• We're currently redoing our kitchen and our cabinets are white/gray now.  We also have blue laminate and I even like a country look but not blue laminate countertops! lol  We're going with a granite in wire-brushed or honed finish in color as close as we can get to soapstone (gray with white veining).

• I'm a fan of the tan-based granites. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Wow the blue laminate and the green paint and the blue knobs... that was an interesting choice...

I would go a dark granite. I love black granite, stainless knobs and the white cabinets and appliances. 

• Hahaha - the paint is not green I just think my camera went kind of crazy on the colour correction.  My DH doesn't really know how to use it very well.

Here's another pic of the main part.  The paint is what I define as baby poop brown though.  It does not go with the blue either in my opinion.

We are planning on putting LED lighting above and below the cabinets to brighten the room up and we are replacing the hideous flourescent thing with something... that will be fun I'm sure.

• The knobs make me cringe so much... but at least it has nice new flooring...
  • I have white cabinets and blue walls, I keep going back and forth between wanting the stone looking laminate with flecks of blue or butcherblock style wood...that room is unfortunately not of our top remodel priorities even though it is bad, so I have lots of time to decide...
    "I said what I meant and I meant what I said, an elephant's faithful 100%" Dr. Seuss, Horton Hatches The Egg. My Ovulation Chart Ttc buddies with LexiMS!
  • We have white cabinets with a black countertop (Paperstone) and a butcher block island. We love it, but may be too modern of a look with your cabinets. I'd probably go with a grayish granite or other solid surface.

• Carrera marble!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @carlab44.. Love your pic! The farmhouse sink, the hard wood floors the back splash behind the stove... I love it! What a great combination of modern and traditional.