Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What do you do with your old keepsakes?

What do you do with your old mementos and keepsakes like yearbooks, old note books, and old school stuff you hung onto? We moved a few months ago, and it's just been in storage in a box but I was curious what others have done with theirs.
Mom to:
Miles (6 year old Maine C00n mix), Boots (5 year old Lab mix), Darla (4 year old GSD/Collie mix), Frankie (1.5 year old DSH mix), Peanut (15 months old - 09/11), and Bean (arriving Feb 2013).

Re: What do you do with your old keepsakes?

• I am one of those nut jobs that gets rid of everything. 

However, the special things that I do keep, like stuff from our wedding, baby keepsakes, the children's school stuff, I get some stackable containers and put stuff in there.  I either put them on the top shelf of the closet or in my husband's workshop. 

• When we bought our house, both DH and my parents were excited to get a lot of our crap out of their attics.  I designated three large tupperware bins (one for my childhood stuff, one for DH, and one for our joint stuff).  After going through everything, each of them are less than half full, so I figure going forward as we accumulate more, I will only allow what will fit in those bins.  Otherwise we will have to purge. Right now the bins are in our spare bedroom, but eventually they will be moved to the attic.
  • My mom did something fun with my old drawings from elementary school - she copied them onto iron-on paper and made quilt out of them.  For certain things, I take a photo - then I don't have to keep the item.  Most of the things I keep I set out - I have a small glass curio cabinet/shelf or my china cabinet where I display things like our wedding cake topper, etc.

For like yearbooks and my old prom corsage and whatnot I have them in a rubbermaid tote in our garage.  And I never look in it because it's out there...so I wonder why I keep it at all.  I like the idea the pp had about limiting the items to what will fit in one bin.

Photobucket
  • Thanks everyone for the info :)

image Aimee8314:

My mom did something fun with my old drawings from elementary school - she copied them onto iron-on paper and made quilt out of them.  For certain things, I take a photo - then I don't have to keep the item.  Most of the things I keep I set out - I have a small glass curio cabinet/shelf or my china cabinet where I display things like our wedding cake topper, etc.

For like yearbooks and my old prom corsage and whatnot I have them in a rubbermaid tote in our garage.  And I never look in it because it's out there...so I wonder why I keep it at all.  I like the idea the pp had about limiting the items to what will fit in one bin.

I'm thinking I just need to transfer mine to a rubbermaid bin too and not let it grow anymore. I did the photo thing and took quite a few pictures. I just need to scrapbook them.

Mom to:
    Miles (6 year old Maine C00n mix), Boots (5 year old Lab mix), Darla (4 year old GSD/Collie mix), Frankie (1.5 year old DSH mix), Peanut (15 months old - 09/11), and Bean (arriving Feb 2013).
  • image Aimee8314:

My mom did something fun with my old drawings from elementary school - she copied them onto iron-on paper and made quilt out of them. 

I love this idea! This is an idea I'm going to store in the back of my mind for my future hypothetical children :)

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!
  • image blue_elle:
    image Aimee8314:

My mom did something fun with my old drawings from elementary school - she copied them onto iron-on paper and made quilt out of them. 

I love this idea! This is an idea I'm going to store in the back of my mind for my future hypothetical children :)

haha.  I bet your future hypothetical children will love it just as much as I did.  :) 

Photobucket
  • image steph81:
    When we bought our house, both DH and my parents were excited to get a lot of our crap out of their attics.  I designated three large tupperware bins (one for my childhood stuff, one for DH, and one for our joint stuff).  After going through everything, each of them are less than half full, so I figure going forward as we accumulate more, I will only allow what will fit in those bins.  Otherwise we will have to purge. Right now the bins are in our spare bedroom, but eventually they will be moved to the attic.

Cool Idea!  We just moved.  I think I will do this! Big Smile

Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I shredded all but the most important things.  I created a shadow box  for a couple of swimming medals and my life guard whistle.  On the back of the box is a photocopy of a great picture of my on my own life guard tower.  My husband thinks my 16 year old self is a knockout too.  

If only I had my 40 year old confidence in that 16 year old body.... 

• I have a tub of things from high school, and a tub from college and our wedding.  Hubs has the same thing.  All are kept in our crawl space. 
    DS #1 5.5.07 DS #2 12.3.08 DD 5.21.11
  • I have had a "memory box" since I was a baby! I just moved everything to a old fashioned steamer trunk & included some more items I wasn't quite willing to part w/ yet.  H just started a "memory box" this week at my suggestion b/c he didn't know what to do w/ certain things he wanted to keep. 

I also have a medium size fabric box for our wedding keepsakes that we keep in our bedroom. And a small decorative box that holds my parents' & grandma's sympathy cards/obits/etc. 

• Flowers or Paper objects that are hard to part with you can get jewelry made out of them! I have a friend who just started a business who can make earings, necklaces, beads that can fit your charm bracelets, key chains and more out of your dried flowers or old papers such as invitations, programs, etc. They turn out really pretty. She has a link on Facebook: Memory Beads

Price if very affordable too!!! 

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Memory-Beads/308513580077