Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Gluten free recipes?? (Robyn?)

My neighbor has been super good to us since we had the baby and she herself has had some medical issues goiing on lately. I would like to do something nice for her and I know she has to have gluten free food. So anyone have an awesome recipe or something I could make her? TIA!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Gluten free recipes?? (Robyn?)

• What are you looking for?  Treats, meals?  Let me know and I will get some recipes for you :)
    [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/izn4lw.jpg[/IMG]

**Crunchy Mama to three girlies and one little guy**

*P 9.2005 * B 11.2007 * M 6.2009 * J 11.2011*
  • Sorry I have been away from the internet all day! I am thinking a meal. Like maybe a casserole or something along those lines. Treats sound good too, maybe if you have something simple for treats as well that would be awesome! Thanks :)
  • **Butting in**

It's very sweet of you to want to make her some food (esp. food she can eat!  Holidays can be very isolating for those of us who have special diets!).  I'd caution you, however.  Even though you might make her a gluten-free meal, it could still easily become cross-contaminated and could still make her sick.  You wouldn't believe how easily it can happen - maybe a pan you use has a tiny scratch in it.  That scratch holds tiny gluten particles no matter how well you scrub it!  Or maybe you use a knife from a drawer that has a few crumbs in it.  Or a wooden cutting board or spoon (anything porous that has ever touched gluten cannot be used).  Or you ate something with gluten before cutting up veggies and those teeny particles are still on your hands.

Believe me, I *know* it sounds ridiculous and totally paranoid.  But there are many of us who would become very, very sick just from that tiny amount of exposure. (I never would have believed it if I wasn't living it).  I'm just telling you this because you might knock yourself out making her a fantastic meal, and she'll be very grateful, but she might not eat any of it.  If I were you, I'd stick to something pre-prepared that you don't have to handle.  The Hy-Vee health market has some wonderful gluten free cookies, muffins, etc in their freezer section!  Good luck, and it's so nice of you to think of her needs!

[IMG]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/4/465918.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/7/736733.png[/IMG]
  • Well crap! I didn't realize that. Would it make a difference if she has ate food we prepared before? We grilled out one night and had hamburgers and she ate them.(She saw the spices we used so she knew she was ok)  Maybe that would be different since we didn't have to cut them and stuff, but they were prepared here. I really appreciate the info. I obviously know nothing about all this so any info is appreciated. I wouldn't want to make something she couldn't even eat!
  • image cats3_98:
    Well crap! I didn't realize that. Would it make a difference if she has ate food we prepared before? We grilled out one night and had hamburgers and she ate them.(She saw the spices we used so she knew she was ok)  Maybe that would be different since we didn't have to cut them and stuff, but they were prepared here. I really appreciate the info. I obviously know nothing about all this so any info is appreciated. I wouldn't want to make something she couldn't even eat!

Yeah, eating a burger is a fairly safe move on her part - it's a one-ingredient thing that should be naturally gluten free, and she could see the preparation, etc.  When you get into multiple-ingredient foods it can get dicey.  She might be on the less sensitive side of the spectrum, but for many of us we cannot eat anything that was even "processed on shared equipment with wheat" (an allergen statement that is not required by law, and thus you have to call the mfr to find this info out).  So what may look and sound safe to you, may in fact not be.  Kraft foods are very reliably labeled though!  

Also, are you sure that gluten is the only thing she can't have?  A majority of Celiacs have multiple food intolerances in addition to the gluten problem.  I'm throwing all kinds of wrenches into your plan, sorry!  :(  Sometimes it's safer to just give a non-food gift.  Many well-meaning friends and family members have offered to cook for me, but I just can't allow it - they would need new cookware, a lot of education about safe handling, etc.  The reactions I have to cross-contamination are so physically miserable that my "allowing" them to cook for me would absolutely not be worth it.  I hope your friend is not this sensitive and that there are many foods she can eat, but I'm just offering my perspective.

An alternative idea is a gift card to Outback - they have been certified by the Celiac Association, all employees are trained on the specifics of safe handling, cross-contamination, etc.  They're fantastic about all food intolerances!  I've never once been "glutened" by them (or exposed to any of my other trigger foods).

[IMG]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/4/465918.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/7/736733.png[/IMG]
  • image julandjo:

Also, are you sure that gluten is the only thing she can't have?  

This was also a question I asked myself. I think to be safe I will do something non food.  The Outback idea sounds like a good one, maybe I will do that.  Man I can't imagine having to go through all this on a daily basis!

• image julandjo:

image cats3_98:
    Well crap! I didn't realize that. Would it make a difference if she has ate food we prepared before? We grilled out one night and had hamburgers and she ate them.(She saw the spices we used so she knew she was ok)  Maybe that would be different since we didn't have to cut them and stuff, but they were prepared here. I really appreciate the info. I obviously know nothing about all this so any info is appreciated. I wouldn't want to make something she couldn't even eat!

Yeah, eating a burger is a fairly safe move on her part - it's a one-ingredient thing that should be naturally gluten free, and she could see the preparation, etc.  When you get into multiple-ingredient foods it can get dicey.  She might be on the less sensitive side of the spectrum, but for many of us we cannot eat anything that was even "processed on shared equipment with wheat" (an allergen statement that is not required by law, and thus you have to call the mfr to find this info out).  So what may look and sound safe to you, may in fact not be.  Kraft foods are very reliably labeled though!  

Also, are you sure that gluten is the only thing she can't have?  A majority of Celiacs have multiple food intolerances in addition to the gluten problem.  I'm throwing all kinds of wrenches into your plan, sorry!  :(  Sometimes it's safer to just give a non-food gift.  Many well-meaning friends and family members have offered to cook for me, but I just can't allow it - they would need new cookware, a lot of education about safe handling, etc.  The reactions I have to cross-contamination are so physically miserable that my "allowing" them to cook for me would absolutely not be worth it.  I hope your friend is not this sensitive and that there are many foods she can eat, but I'm just offering my perspective.

An alternative idea is a gift card to Outback - they have been certified by the Celiac Association, all employees are trained on the specifics of safe handling, cross-contamination, etc.  They're fantastic about all food intolerances!  I've never once been "glutened" by them (or exposed to any of my other trigger foods).

I am butting in also if it was me I won't have eaten a burger since I didn't know what had been on the grill before like a bun or anything with gluten including spices. I would see where she likes to go out to eat. I don't go out to eat since everytime I do I get sick. When people make us food my DH eats it or we throw it out (I know people are trying to be nice and it sounds mean but its not fun being sick) Some people are worst then others I am really really bad just the smallest amount of gluten can make me pretty sick for days, but my friend can eat some and not have a problem but if she eats alot then she gets a little sick.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image twobytwo2010:

if it was me I won't have eaten a burger since I didn't know what had been on the grill before like a bun or anything with gluten including spices.

I know, eating food off of someone else's grill sounds like a nightmare scenario to me too!  That girl is either very brave or not terribly sensitive to CC.

Have you tried eating at Outback?  I've gotten sick at every restaurant, except Outback.  Their gluten free menu is pretty broad, and the servers are very conscious of what that means; usually the cook delivers the meal himself and assures me it stayed gluten free.  Living like this can be so very isolating... getting to go out to dinner with your DH is a very, very special treat.  I hope you're able to do something like that soon!

• image julandjo:
    image twobytwo2010:

if it was me I won't have eaten a burger since I didn't know what had been on the grill before like a bun or anything with gluten including spices.

I know, eating food off of someone else's grill sounds like a nightmare scenario to me too!  That girl is either very brave or not terribly sensitive to CC.

Have you tried eating at Outback?  I've gotten sick at every restaurant, except Outback.  Their gluten free menu is pretty broad, and the servers are very conscious of what that means; usually the cook delivers the meal himself and assures me it stayed gluten free.  Living like this can be so very isolating... getting to go out to dinner with your DH is a very, very special treat.  I hope you're able to do something like that soon!

I went there a couple of years ago. I can't remember if they have the peanuts on the floor or that was a different place. My DH and I go out on dates (when we can someone willing to watch twins that cry : ) but of our dates are walking around the river or seeing a movie.  

I do have to ask are you kids GF and is your whole house GF? As of right now our whole house is, but I don't know how much longer that will last with the girls now starting to eat our food.

• image twobytwo2010:
    image julandjo:
    image twobytwo2010:

I went there a couple of years ago. I can't remember if they have the peanuts on the floor or that was a different place. My DH and I go out on dates (when we can someone willing to watch twins that cry : ) but of our dates are walking around the river or seeing a movie.  

I do have to ask are you kids GF and is your whole house GF? As of right now our whole house is, but I don't know how much longer that will last with the girls now starting to eat our food.

Nope, no peanuts at Outback.  :)  I can't think of the name, but that's a different restaurant.  You should give it a try.  I'm in such a bad place with my healing right now; my diet consists of exactly 11 whole foods, and that includes salt and pepper.  :(  I cannot deviate at ALL - even the tiniest CC from corn or paprika or yeast or *anything* makes me too sick to function.  (It's actually really, really depressing and I'm hitting a wall and I cry a lot.  Not that you asked, but Holy God this is wearing on me.  It didn't help that all weekend people were getting angry at me - "oh come on you're being way too hard on yourself, lighten up and just have a cheat day.  You're overreacting" etc.  People have no fracking idea what they're saying and it really hurts.  LIKE I CHOSE THIS!!!)  Despite the challenge of avoiding umpteen zillion things that will make me feel like dying, Outback has not made me sick.  That's pretty impressive!

My kids are actually the whole reason I was tested at all.  They were both so sick right off the bat with what doctors told us was MSPI, but they reacted to way more than milk and soy in my breastmilk.  Once the second baby was born with the same problems, and the pregnancies were both so very difficult, I started to think it was more than just a one-time fluke.  I got the biopsy earlier this year and it was a "raging positive".  There's a LOT of damage.  So the kids have been gluten free since birth (with the exception of a handful of single-serving gluten trials that failed miserably), and I've been gluten free for 10 months.  My husband sees exactly how painful it is for any of us to get glutened, so he's really good about keeping us safe.  The only gluten he keeps in the house is his little flatbread things he takes for breakfast.  They stay in a sealed bag in the freezer and he only takes them out of the bag over the sink, and puts them directly into his lunchbag.  He eats a regular gluten diet outside of the house though.  If we're having company over, we either serve them a gluten free meal or we order in pizza for them and they eat off of disposable plates.

Do your girls not seem to show any kind of gluten intolerance?

• image julandjo:
    image twobytwo2010:
    image julandjo:
    image twobytwo2010:

Nope, no peanuts at Outback.  :)  I can't think of the name, but that's a different restaurant.  You should give it a try.  I'm in such a bad place with my healing right now; my diet consists of exactly 11 whole foods, and that includes salt and pepper.  :(  I cannot deviate at ALL - even the tiniest CC from corn or paprika or yeast or *anything* makes me too sick to function.  (It's actually really, really depressing and I'm hitting a wall and I cry a lot.  Not that you asked, but Holy God this is wearing on me.  It didn't help that all weekend people were getting angry at me - "oh come on you're being way too hard on yourself, lighten up and just have a cheat day.  You're overreacting" etc.  People have no fracking idea what they're saying and it really hurts.  LIKE I CHOSE THIS!!!)  Despite the challenge of avoiding umpteen zillion things that will make me feel like dying, Outback has not made me sick.  That's pretty impressive!

My kids are actually the whole reason I was tested at all.  They were both so sick right off the bat with what doctors told us was MSPI, but they reacted to way more than milk and soy in my breastmilk.  Once the second baby was born with the same problems, and the pregnancies were both so very difficult, I started to think it was more than just a one-time fluke.  I got the biopsy earlier this year and it was a "raging positive".  There's a LOT of damage.  So the kids have been gluten free since birth (with the exception of a handful of single-serving gluten trials that failed miserably), and I've been gluten free for 10 months.  My husband sees exactly how painful it is for any of us to get glutened, so he's really good about keeping us safe.  The only gluten he keeps in the house is his little flatbread things he takes for breakfast.  They stay in a sealed bag in the freezer and he only takes them out of the bag over the sink, and puts them directly into his lunchbag.  He eats a regular gluten diet outside of the house though.  If we're having company over, we either serve them a gluten free meal or we order in pizza for them and they eat off of disposable plates.

Do your girls not seem to show any kind of gluten intolerance?

I sent you a PM.