September 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Favorite gifts that you gave and/or received?

I realize that Christmas shouldn't be about presents, but it can be fun to recap.  I really love finding that perfect present for someone. 

For H's niece (9), she sent this HUGE list, which she always segregates into 'really want' and 'kinda want' and on.  We got a few things off the list, but I went off list and picked up a puppy Pillow Pet, and she freaking loves it.  Yay, me! 

For my niece (also 9), she loves to cook, and my mom got her a ton of cooking and baking supplies.  She also put together a binder with plastic sleeves so we could give her our favorite recipes.  I made homemade caramels to bring to Christmas, and printed the recipe for her, to add to her book.  She was stoked with all of it. 

For H, as his 'team' gift (we give each other team and individual gifts), I got him a Blu-Ray player and some movies.  He knew I was buying it and bought me a few movies as well, including this cheesy movie that we'd watched at the hotel while trying to fall asleep after the wedding, and the gift tag attached to it said something like so that we could relive the wedding night.  What a sweet man.  Big Smile

For my team gift, H got me an awesome new santoku knife, smaller than the one we got from our registry, and a beater blade for my KA mixer.  Can't wait to use them both! 

Re: Favorite gifts that you gave and/or received?

• My favorites to receive were a down filled vest from Eddie Bauer that I had asked for as a birthday gift and thought everyone had forgotten about and the Pioneer Woman cookbook, which I have already used.

Favorite to give was a wedding picture for my Grandma.

• image mushE:

For my team gift, H got me an awesome new santoku knife, smaller than the one we got from our registry, and a beater blade for my KA mixer.  Can't wait to use them both! 

I am sooooooo jealous. I at least need a new spatula cause my cheapie grocery store brand ones are sucking at bowl scraping!

I cannot pick a favorite gift. I loved all of them. Technically P.D. was sort of a Christmas gift, so I pick him!

My favorite thing to give was BIL's circular saw. It will be H's r/c airplane when we get around to buying it.

(An unmatched left parenthesis creates an unresolved tension that will stay with you all day.

The Princess of Anything is Coming!

Had a dream I was queen.
    Woke up. Still queen.
  • This Christmas went really well gift-wise - not to sound like a brat, but we usually get quite a bit of junk, and we'd already decided to leave it in NJ til our next trip since we were taking the train and had limited space in our luggage.  Turns out that didn't happen!  Jeff got me a sweater that I really wanted (but I was waiting for it to go on sale - actually, I was hoping it would go on sale after the holidays and he'd get it for my birthday), and I think that was my favorite thing. But I gotta say I was psyched to get stuff I could use from the family members who usually give me white elephants!

Jeff's parents really liked the digital picture frame that we gave them, which was pre-loaded with some wedding pictures and other pictures from vacations we'd taken with them.  His mom started crying and his dad just moved his chair and watched it instead of the TV later that night. I was really surprised when his brother walked into the living room the next day and turned it on and just sat down and watched it.  That may have been my favorite to give, although Jeff's little brother also really appreciated the gift card we gave him for beer-brewing stuff; I felt bad just giving a GC for the main part of his gift, but I wasn't sure what he needed, and he immediately got online and spent it, and then kept checking his order status and showing off what he bought (just showing the order confirmation) to everyone. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I received alot of good gifts this year, Nightmare Before Christmas Monopoly, DVD player for our bedroom, portable IPOD player (plug in or batteries), electric toothbrush. Those are basically my favorites.

Favorite to give were, Shutterfly photobook to MIL and 80 dollar frying pan to her, Bon Jovi greatest hits CD to best friend (she knew all her gifts except that one), COD:Black Ops Xbox controller to H (no one he knows has one yet, so he's been bragging all weekend).

Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • image QueenofAnything:
    image mushE:

I am sooooooo jealous. I at least need a new spatula cause my cheapie grocery store brand ones are sucking at bowl scraping!

I cannot pick a favorite gift. I loved all of them. Technically P.D. was sort of a Christmas gift, so I pick him!

My favorite thing to give was BIL's circular saw. It will be H's r/c airplane when we get around to buying it.

I got a Tavolo silicone spatula at a Marshall's a few months ago, and it's amazing.  I just Googled, and Amazon has them for like $9.  It scrapes like nobody's business!  Picture below.

imageimage" mce_src="image">

• I got these AMAZING snow boots from Chris. Loves them. I've been wearing them nonstop in all the snow we just got.

Favourite gift given - a macbook air to Chris.  The best part is that it didn't cost a thing. hee hee (long story)

TTC since 2010
    Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
    DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
    BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
    IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
    Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • in case you don't know my on fb- I've been gushing about receiving TWO pairs of TOMS- a pair of flats and a pair of wedges! :o) Was really stoked about that--- 

my favorite gift that we gave was O put all of his moms old home videos (from the 90's)  onto DVD's and he played one from Christmas 92 for everyone. That particular video had his grandma on it (she has since passed away) and his mom and grandma were really close-- so of course MIL was bawling. Then later on that same DVD was a Christmas visit to FIL's sisters house (who has also passed) which made FIL cry too....... it was by far I think, the best gift all day! :o)

Datsyuks & Ferdy- We Go Together Like...

• image Ferdy2584:
    my favorite gift that we gave was O put all of his moms old home videos (from the 90's)  onto DVD's and he played one from Christmas 92 for everyone. That particular video had his grandma on it (she has since passed away) and his mom and grandma were really close-- so of course MIL was bawling. Then later on that same DVD was a Christmas visit to FIL's sisters house (who has also passed) which made FIL cry too....... it was by far I think, the best gift all day! :o)

So amazingly thoughtful.  Nice work. 

TTC since 2010
    Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
    DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
    BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
    IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
    Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hmmm...My favorite gift to give was probably the photobook I gave to my aunt/godmother. She was so excited to see the wedding pictures.

Receive...its a toss up between the ice cream maker for my Kitchenaid and new bras. The fun part of me is all "WOO HOO you can make ice cream!" and the practical part of me is all "WOO HOO you don't have to spend that money on bras!"

Currently, the fun part of me is trying to talk the practical part of me into buying a Kindle. I want one and I did get a raise, but the raise amount per paycheck does not equal the Kindle amount + all the books I want so I'm hesitating. 

• LTB: I got only free books for the first few months, and then I asked for Amazon gift cards for Christmas.  I'll do the same for my birthday.  It has worked out pretty well; I have read a ton of books and haven't spent any of my own money!  The majority so far have been free.
  • Confession: I've already created a wishlist of free and relatively cheap (under $10) books that I want. I just wish you could search all of the free books on amazon easier.
  • image Ferdy2584:

That is so incredibly sweet!  What a great idea.

• image lovethebeach16:
    Confession: I've already created a wishlist of free and relatively cheap (under $10) books that I want. I just wish you could search all of the free books on amazon easier.

Ditto! 

When I got mine for my birthday in October, I told H I'd likely use it only for travel...which quickly turned into all the time.  I used to go to the library all the time, so that's one of my goals this next year, to get back to that to save money, since I read so much.

• Favorite gift I gave... I got K new hunting boots which he desperately needed and he was like a kid in a candy store when he saw them. This is the first time we've ever bought gifts for each other so I was thrilled that he was surprised and loved them. We also got my 3yo niece roller skates and she loved them. She was roller skating around the kitchen all day. Favorite I got...very hard to say. I had an amazingly blessed Christmas this year. The best I think was that my family traveled to be in MD with me since K had to work. I also got an awesome new DSLR camera from my mama.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • I generally check out the top 100 free books every so often; there's usually a few free promotional books I want to read every time I look.  Check the reviews though, because some of them are just teasers/first chapter and the description doesn't say so!

Edit: Also, there are usually some free games on there, so snap them up while you can - it's the only time Jeff uses the Kindle, and it keeps us occupied together on trips.  There is supposedly going to be a share feature soon, so maybe we can start a September TN book club to share :)

• Fav gift I gave:  I gave my mom an overnight trip to NYC for her 50th birthday next month.  She was so excited and couldn't stop talking about it.  She was also happy that she isn't having a party. 

Fav gift I received:  That would be a laptop which DH gave me.  My mom got me a digital picture frame which I can't wait to put wedding/honeymoon pics on.  I also got some scrapbooking stuff that I am pretty excited about! 

Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • Fav. gift I gave: H got an Xbox 360 and a Halo game. It wasn't Halo Reach but Halo ODST. he's been playing it here and there and said he loves it. He was taken back that I got this for him and had no idea.

Fav. gift I received: Toss up between an engraved wedding album w/some pictures that my in-laws gave us and the new point & shoot camera and CD stereo for my SUV from H. 

Me (33)& DX: DOR, FSH-20.3; DH(28):SA=normal 8/11 HSG= clear!
    IUI #1 10/12/11 (Bravelle + HCG + Prometrium & acupuncture) = 10/26 BFP! Beta #1=250, Beta #2= 615. 1st u/s 11/8. image Visit The Nest! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image LauraT25:

I generally check out the top 100 free books every so often; there's usually a few free promotional books I want to read every time I look.  Check the reviews though, because some of them are just teasers/first chapter and the description doesn't say so!

Edit: Also, there are usually some free games on there, so snap them up while you can - it's the only time Jeff uses the Kindle, and it keeps us occupied together on trips.  There is supposedly going to be a share feature soon, so maybe we can start a September TN book club to share :)

That would be cool!  My mom also has a Kindle, but sometimes we don't like the same kind of books, so she doesn't always like to share with me. 

• Fave gift I got- probably the quad H surprised me with. It is really nice and I can't wait to get some ride time in! :) he spoils me lately. Fave gift I gave- probably the chest protector I got H so rocks won't hurt him when he rides with others on our track. I also was pretty happy with the jewlery trees I got my sisters.
    [url="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=breastfeeder&utm_medium=ubb&utm_campaign=badges"][img]http://images.thenestbaby.com/badges/tb_sig_ebf.gif [/img][/url]