Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Analyze my BMR calculations

Here is my random assortment of thoughts.  Do with it what you wish.

I'm 5'5, 155lbs.  I usually feel my best around 135lbs. 

I use Livestrong.com to calculate my caloric needs on any given day because my activity level varies RIDICULOUSLY.

Goal: Lose 2lbs/week.

1) I work three days a week as a nurse - usually 14ish hour shifts spent entirely on my feet. 

Moderately Active - Calories needed: 1527

2) On one or two of my days off I run errands/clean/etc.

Lightly Active - Calories needed: 1190

3) On one or two of my days off I like to do NOTHING.  Literally NOTHING.

Sedentary - Calories needed: 1106

**When I work out, I wear a Polar F6 to calculate calories burned and then add that deficit into my daily caloric needs.  ie. Lightly Active Day + Burned 300 calories = Eat 1490 calories.**

My problem is that I've been following this pretty easily (never feel starved) and actually gained a pound this week.  What gives??

::end narrative::

Re: Analyze my BMR calculations

• Give it time?  How long have you been following this plan?  Sometimes it takes a bit for our bodies to catch up, but what you've got seems reasonable for someone of your height.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You need at LEAST 1200 calories a day. I'd bump up your minimum calories to 1200. You  may not be eating enough.
  • your goal to lose 2 lbs/week is a bit unrealistic given that you don't have much weight to lose.  shoot for 0.5-1 lb/week, eat/exercise based on that goal and you'll be much happier.  what you're eating right now is unsustainable.

you might also want to compare your calculations with www.sparkpeople.com

good luck.

• Gah, nevermind me.  I misread (and apparently have been doing so all day).

• image raynes:

image Sadlebred:
    You need at LEAST 1200 calories a day. I'd bump up your minimum calories to 1200. You  may not be eating enough.

Normally I'd agree with this, but given that fact that the OP is so short (only 5'1) she can probably get away with fewer base calories than someone like me who's 5'7

I think she said 5'5" in her OP...

Photobucket
  • image raynes:

image Sadlebred:
    You need at LEAST 1200 calories a day. I'd bump up your minimum calories to 1200. You  may not be eating enough.

Normally I'd agree with this, but given that fact that the OP is so short (only 5'1) she can probably get away with fewer base calories than someone like me who's 5'7

Just butting in to say that she says she's 5'5", not 5'1". 

ETA - Actually, I want to address the "moderately active" on your work days.  I wore my Polar FT7 for a day at work (I am also a nurse) to try to see how much more I burn on a work day than a non-work day.  I found that I burned 900 more calories on the days I worked.  I would try wearing your HRM to work one day (and maybe even on a day that you are at home and doing nothing, as well as on one of your lightly active days) in order to get some better information.  I can't wear a watch to work, so I kept the watch part of the HRM in my scrub pocket (after locking the controls), and it was able to communicate with the chest strap without a problem. 

I do want to say that I weigh a good bit more than you do.  But maybe having more information will help you set your calorie goals better. 

Otto
    My (New! Improved!) Blog

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• I edited.  I totally misread.  My brain is not here today.
  • image MrsBrownsFan:
    image raynes:

image Sadlebred:

Just butting in to say that she says she's 5'5", not 5'1". 

ETA - Actually, I want to address the "moderately active" on your work days.  I wore my Polar FT7 for a day at work (I am also a nurse) to try to see how much more I burn on a work day than a non-work day.  I found that I burned 900 more calories on the days I worked.  I would try wearing your HRM to work one day (and maybe even on a day that you are at home and doing nothing, as well as on one of your lightly active days) in order to get some better information.  I can't wear a watch to work, so I kept the watch part of the HRM in my scrub pocket (after locking the controls), and it was able to communicate with the chest strap without a problem. 

I do want to say that I weigh a good bit more than you do.  But maybe having more information will help you set your calorie goals better. 

Interesting.  Maybe this is my problem?  I do run around like a madman.

I know the whole 1200 calorie rule... and I usually want to preach that to others as well, but since I don't ever really feel hungry or deprived I accepted it.

I probably should cut the attempted loss down to 1-1.5lbs/week since I don't have much to lose. 

I've never been one to be patient though...  Wink