Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cyclists recommend your lights please.

My DH loves to ride, but we get sidetracked after work and now it is too dark for him to ride at night. Our area is fairly well lit, so the light doesn't need to be the only source of light, but it also needs to be bright enough that he can see in the darker areas.

He would really like one of the lights that has the power generated by the bike, but are they even worth it? Thanks for your help.

photo 23_zps55098dc4.jpgphoto 5_zps844d0072.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo rainbows_zpsb95a8e2b.jpgphoto dairy_badge_zpsf1627fb3.jpgphoto gooddrugs_badge_zps46a70739.jpg

Re: Cyclists recommend your lights please.

• DH and I both have the Light & Motion Stella 120.  Actually, I think he has the 150.  Either way both are retina-searing bright.  We love them.

My only problem with it is it's a handlebar mount only (no helmet adapter).  But it's so bright I can't really complain.

L&M does have a new one (pricey, at $170) called the VIS360.  All helmet mounts, front and rear lights.  It looks really cool!  I might have to start saving my money.

• I bought DH the Blackburn USB lights for Christmas last year and he really likes them.
  • Don't bother with cheap lights if he actually needs to see. Also, be prepared to spend $200+ on good lights. Here's a tidmt from my bio:

Mountain Bike Lights Most "good" mtb lights start at around $250. Serious lights go for $400++. Avoid anything that is a "commuter" light or a "road" light. Also, avoid any light that has the batteries within the lighting housing (these will often be AA or maybe C alkaline batteries). For serious night riding, the battery will be separate from the light; these batteries are all rechargeable, and the light systems will come with a charger. I can tell you that you will NOT find a light that is good for off road riding for $30-75. It just doesn't happen unless you want to tape a few flashlights to your handlebars. You'd be best off having a handlebar mount and a helmet mount. Having said that, I have a Jetlite helmet light that I really like. You will probably also want a "blinkie" for the rear of your bike even if you are mountain biking. I like the ones from Planetbike that are widely available online and from REI for about $25. There are other brands that are good for about $20.
    Great info here: http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/category/lights-shootout/ 

• FWIW:

We bought black diamond headlamps (got a discount cuz a friend works for a climbing gym)

We wear them over our helmets and don't have any slipping problems while riding technical off road trails.  Had them for about a year now and haven't had to change batteries at all.  They have a low battery indicator light.  We even use them for other activities too, which makes me feel a lot better about the price. There are several settings for distance and brightness adjustment and even have a strobe feature (so my husband can find me when I fall off my bike in the middle of the woods :-) )

• Thanks for the advice!
    photo 23_zps55098dc4.jpgphoto 5_zps844d0072.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo rainbows_zpsb95a8e2b.jpgphoto dairy_badge_zpsf1627fb3.jpgphoto gooddrugs_badge_zps46a70739.jpg