June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Sketchy...

A while ago I signed up for a sittercity account to search for babysitters in our area. We interviewed a few and closed our account. We had to recontact a couple more people a month ago because our sitter and backup didn't work out (one was never available when we needed her and one moved). We interviewed 2 college students--1 we loved and 1 we were iffy about and didn't even bother checking refs for. We hired the one we loved and have used her several times. The other one we never contacted again.

Fastforward to yesterday when I got an email from sittercity stating that the second girl we interviewed has been "terminated for violating sittercity's Terms of Use." Of course I didn't really know what this meant, so I asked them and they responded that they can't say exactly why for privacy reasons, but their Terms of Use are: 1. The User is at least 18 years old and is legally authorized to work within the jurisdiction of the United States; 2. The User has not been convicted of a crime of any nature, including any felony or any misdemeanor of any kind, and has not been convicted of any sexual offenses; and 3. The User further represents that User is not currently out on bail or on User's own recognizance pending trial, relating to any felony or misdemeanor charges or sexual offenses of any kind. If Sittercity.com becomes aware (such as through a background check) that an Eligibility Condition is not met or appears not to be met, Sittercity.com may terminate the user.

I'm freaked out. I know the chick is 18, so it must be that she's been convicted of some sort of crime. I'm so glad we didn't hire her.

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2nqdy12.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Sketchy...

• Way sketchy... these type of situations make me wish i still lived in my tiny hometown where everyone knows everyone.  At least your instincts were good.
  • Thank god you didn't hire her. You can only hope that she was arrested for something when she was young and stupid and will be able to get her life back on track.
  • I'm thankful you didn't hire her, but I also recommend giving the girl the benefit of the doubt...it she was at a party that got broken up for something like underage drinking or smoking pot (which, admit it - there are plenty of people who have done this who aren't bad people and/or would not be irresponsible with other people's children!), she would be terminated based on those terms of use.

Still, it is sketchy since you don't know for sure the reasons why, and I'm glad you avoided a potentially awkward or even dangerous situation.

Photobucket
  • Wow, that is sketchy. Good thing you followed your instincts on her.
    [img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt10a803.aspx[/img]

Our journey to Baby #2
    3/17/11-BFP; 4/4/11-natural m/c-7w1d;

9/16/11 BFP

[img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttade0f.aspx[/img]
  • Eeep. Bullet dodged.
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • image keb270:
    Thank god you didn't hire her. You can only hope that she was arrested for something when she was young and stupid and will be able to get her life back on track.

Or something totally unrelated to babysitting.  My best friend technically got arrested for "disturbing the peace" when we were in college by being a minor essentially in the presence of open liquor containers (not drinking from them).  They were camping and some other people had brought them.

• image SBS0628:

I'm thankful you didn't hire her, but I also recommend giving the girl the benefit of the doubt...

DH and I were talking about it again this morning and trying to think of all the possibilities that would be "minor" -- like public intoxication or smoking pot or something like that. It's hard to not know what the deal is and be left with speculation, but we also remember asking her if she had ever committed a crime and she said no. Regardless, we're glad we found a sitter we love.

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2nqdy12.jpg[/IMG]
  • image vhcoleman09:

Regardless, we're glad we found a sitter we love.

That's true. Yes

Photobucket
  • Maybe it's the other part of #1 - she's not legally allowed to work in the US. Is it possible she's an illegal immigrant? A lot of my students are totally responsible, have lived here for years, but they don't have socials so they're going to have trouble getting jobs later.