January 2006 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What do you do when...

you just can't seem to find time to write?  I know I just need to put something down on paper, but I have to keep my house clean (as in, spotless and practically not lived in because my landlord is currently being a jerk) and open enrollment at work is killing me. 

So what are your tips ladies?  How do you make yourself write when life seems to get in the way?

Re: What do you do when...

• I've been following the nano word sprints on twitter. they're generally 10-30 minutes long. i find that when they say ok, you have 10 minutes to write as much as you can, i take the small challenge and forget about the big picture of 50k in 30 days. the little 10+ minute sprints have really added up for me, i was able to get close to caught up yesterday, about 3000 words.
    Love 9.3.03 Marriage 12.1.07 Baby Carriage 8.3.11
  • If I can squeeze in a little bit of time to write, then I'm happy.  Even if I only get 500 words.  I've also been using my lunch break.  Since Nano started, I've tried to get as much done as soon as I get home from work.  Then I spend the rest of the night writing.  My evening might be like this after I get home:

Take dog outside

Sort mail

Change out of work clothes (put dirty clothes in hamper)

Start dinner

Vacuum while dinner cooks

Eat

Clean up kitchen

Homework

Writing

Pick up stuff before bed

After I finish getting ready for work in the mornings, I wipe out my sink.  I always make our bed as soon as I get up.  That alone helps our room look neater.  My PJ's get folded and are laid on the bed to wait for the next night (unless they need washed).  I have class two nights a week, and I don't do anything on those nights.  DH knows not to make a huge mess in the kitchen, because I'm not cleaning it after 2.5 hours of class.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • I am finding myself doing a lot of writing at work on my lunch hour. I'm finally in a cube by myself and I just sort of zone out after scarfing down my lunch so I have more time to write!
    Sammie born 04/23/09 (Peanut allergy)
    Emmett born 01/28/2013

2015 Books Read 3 * 2014 Books Read: 151
    2013 Books Read: 90 * 2012 Books Read: 125
    2011 Books Read: 150  * 2010 Books Read: 117

Jennie Writes Words ~~~ We Still Read ~~~ Presidential Challenge
  • Like others I write on my lunch break. 

I also get up 20 minutes earlier every morning and write while I wait for H to shower and get ready. Then we eat breakfast together and go to work.

This might not be doable for you if you have to keep your place spotless, but I limit myself to one cleaning activity per night, and I never clean for more than 15 minutes. There's only two of us here though, so the place never gets too dirty, especially since we're not even here during the day.

Another thing I do is cook a big dinner on Sunday and Monday and it lasts us until Friday. Not having to cook or clean up a load of dishes really helps productivity. I don't write on Fridays so I don't mind cooking.  

I didn't get home until 8pm tonight and I still managed to get in over 2k words today.