Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Who watched the debate??

What did you think of it, and who would you declare the winner?

Re: Who watched the debate??

• as I was out on Friday night, I've been piecing it together from the internets this weekend. Therefore, I do not know enough to speak even half intelligently to comment.

what were your thoughts?

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/mjodh1.jpg[/IMG] Hi Francey!
  • I thought that they both did well. I thought that John McCain sounded very knowledgeable and I was impressed (most of the time) with how he came across.

The negatives of McCain to me were the way he interacted with Obama. He he didn't seem able to look Obama in the eye. IMHO it was disrespectful and indicative of a certain shiftiness. I am wary of people who are unable to make eye contact.

I didn't like that he kept laughing and grinning while Obama spoke. Again disrespectful and dismissive. This may have been his intent, but one can only imagine if he did this with leaders of other countries who may not like being spoken down to like that.

Lastly I thought that he didn't seem to have much of a problem with lying now and again. Obama pointed this out on several occasions.

Still, I thought that McCain was convincing, and for the first half of the debate I thought he was doing better than Obama.

I thought Obama did well. Surprisingly I thought that McCain had more presence than he did. I really liked that Obama was able to tell McCain where he agreed with him, while still forcefully but respectfully disagreeing with him on certain points. McCain could learn a lesson from Obama in this respect I think.

I doubt McCain will make these same mistakes twice and will work to improve his attitude and demeanor towards Obama for the next debate.

I know most of the polls have Obama as the winner. I agree with that, but think it was a close call. Both men can think on their feet.

I am cringing already thinking how the VP debate is going to go. I do think that expectation on Palin's performance is so low, that if she manages to even get through it without a huge blunder she will be considered the winner. We shall see.

• rummy; did you look at that website I posted for you last week?
  • Very well put, blueberry.  I felt the same way you did.  A lot of the time I felt like they were both saying they wanted to take the issue in the same direction, but it was like, "My change is better than your change." 

I also was tipsy through the whole thing, so... 

• i agree with a lot of the OP's points, but felt that Obama was a clear winner.  McCain's smirk just reminds me too much of Bush's smirk and don't think that that's something we want to continue to represent our country. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I DVR'd it and haven't gotten a chance to watch all of it. Therefore, my opinion hasn't been completely formed yet.

The parts that I did see were good.

I found it completely ignorant that McCain did not once look at Obama when speaking. (again from the parts that I saw).

I did like when McCain would say something and try and twist Obama's words around, Obama would bring attention to that and correct him.

During the parts I watched, McCain kept bringing up the Surge. Like that was the only thing he had left to hang on to.

They were both very knowledgable about the issues, there is no doubt about that. As far as a "winner", I would have to watch the entire thing before I could make that decision.

On a side note, I was watching their Bio's that they aired before the debate, and they both lived very interesting lives. I fell asleep half way through that, so I still need to watch the ending.

• imageblueberrystoli:
    rummy; did you look at that website I posted for you last week?

hit me with it again, por favor

• imagesuperbef:

Very well put, blueberry.  I felt the same way you did.  A lot of the time I felt like they were both saying they wanted to take the issue in the same direction, but it was like, "My change is better than your change." 

I also was tipsy through the whole thing, so... 

Exactly. Yet Obama was able to say 'you are right' to McCain, whereas McCain looked like he would rather die than admit that Obama could be right about anything.

Of course I have heard some republicans saying that Obama agreeing with McCain on some issues was an admission of weakness. <<rolls eyes>>.  I actually see it as confidence to be able to agree on some issues while strongly disagreeing on others. I feel like McCain would diasgree with Obama on what day of the week it was, just on principle. That concerns me.

McCain did manage to get across that he has a lot more foreign policy experience than Obama, yet I felt he lost the edge on that by retaining the Bush hard line on opening discussions with countries like Iran without preconditions. He lost more ground when he swore that Kissinger supported his position - in fact an unseemly squabble seemed to ensue as both sides claimed that Kissinger was on their side. I think it has since been confirmed that he supports Obama's position, which is that it is better to talk, than not to talk. Obama conceeds that it may not actually get us anywhere, but at least it opens the door to discussion. I thought Obama was totally correct on this point.

It was an interesting debate all in all.

• imagerumdrinx:

imageblueberrystoli:
    rummy; did you look at that website I posted for you last week?

hit me with it again, por favor

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-presidential-election/

It moves extremely fast with a lot of input from both sides. The 'debate thread' had over 200 pages of responses in two days, so it's probably too much to get into. If you look at new threads it can be quite interesting, although both sides can be nasty.

Someone actually posted a 'defend Palin' thread. i took a look at it, and what struck me was that hardly anyone did. Surprising with the number of extremely outspoken and die hard republicans on the site. I'll try and find it, and link to it although it's more comedy value than anything else.

I wonder if the love affair the repubs have with Palin is waning? 

• McCain's laughter and smirking really annoyed me, and I thought it took away from his argument.

All and all I thought they both did well. I find it hard for me not to just side with the candidate I like because I agree with his take on the issues and agree with his plans for the future.

The idea of McCain's spending freeze scares the shit out of me, does he realize how much businesses  rely on government money even if it is just indirectly helping.

• Watching this debate made me want to punch both of them in the face.  Seriously.

Neither of them could give a straight answer and when they did speak it seemed like regurgitated sound bites from their campaigns. 

McCain came across as out-of-touch and the repeating of stock answers was annoying.  Obama came off as arrogant and I just don't agree with much of what he says.  But if I had to pick a winner I would give the edge to Obama

I never in a million years thought I would EVER say this, but I miss Hillary.

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • thanks for posting Eagles!

also, i think you shld start a new post commenting on the game.  McNabb's fault?  jackson's? reid's?  what say you?

• I also wonder how Hillary would have done. Honestly I still wish she had got the nomination. Obama is just the lesser of the evils for me.

I didn't mind McCain so much until he picked Biden as his VP. That was the final nail in the coffin for him as far as I'm concerned.

• imageblueberrystoli:

I also wonder how Hillary would have done. Honestly I still wish she had got the nomination. Obama is just the lesser of the evils for me.

I didn't mind McCain so much until he picked Biden as his VP. That was the final nail in the coffin for him as far as I'm concerned.

dude, check your post! 

• Ah yes. Try Palin as VP. My brain is addled by too much cider at the weekend. Stick out tongue