Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Reactivation Question

My DH EASed on 8/10/07 and this past week we got a "Consideration for Reactivation" letter.  I was just wondering if anyone has ever or knows of anyone who has ever went through the screening.  When my DH called the mobilitation command they told him it consists of a meeting with a doc and a day full of classes.

If someone has experienced the screening, does it actually take from 0630 to 2000?  The screening is on the weekend of our 1 year anniversary and the site for the screening is a 5 hour drive and we're not sure if I should go with him and stay there or just hang out at home until he comes back in town.

image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Reactivation Question

• Interesting. ?I dont know the details of it all but are they trying to send him all the way to Leonard Wood for this screening? ?I would certainly ask for them to find a closer location for him to attend. ?Shoot, sending him to Leavenworth would be closer for him. ?

I wasnt "considered for reactivation" but I did have to visit a location to update my records and basically get a spiel from the recruiters and they went off the address I used when I ETSed which was 5 hours from me as well. ?I called HRC St. Louis and had it changed to my local Reserve command. ?You could try that and see what they'll do....this all pertains to Army of course as I have no clue about the other services. ??

?Good luck!?

• The letter was sent to his old home of record which is in Illinois and the screening is taking place in Kansas City.  They are covering the travel expenses and he has the choice to fly or drive.  He was told that the MOBCOM branch he's going to sent the letter to 2100 Marines.  I've been looking into it and I can't find another MOBCOM location at all.  I assume there's one in Pendleton and Lejeune for the other parts of the country, but that's an assumption with no basis. 

I can't seem to find anyone else who has been through it.  We've even called our friends and family stationed in California and Okinawa and they don't know of anyone who's ever been "recalled" either.  With all the other deployments we've known someone who's been through it and known what to expect but we are completely in the dark...  it stinks

• My husband separated from AD in March '07, was recalled in May of this year, when he got to Kansas City they basically said "Unless youre missing limbs youre going to war." He had orders for the sandbox with an approaching date. Sounds harsh, but you actually have a lot of options. We took the 3 year nondeployable Active Reserve option @ a local Air Reserve Base vs. the 1 year deployment. I dont know about you but since we've "gotten out" were just @ a different place in our lives and this was a huge surprise for us to say the least. My husband flew out to KC on a Mon morning and I picked him up @ the airport Tues night. He said there were a few thousand men there. They have to have a physical, several interviews with different depts such as financial. We were stationed in Oki for most of his service, and two other men from his unit have also been recalled and are doing the active reserve stint. If you have any other questions let me know.
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tted88f.aspx[/img][/url]

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Ah yes, I know there is a MOBCOM for Marines in KC....in fact I think there's a Nestie who's husband is currently stationed there now. ?Sucks he has to drive all the way over there but I suppose you could always use the trip as an anniversary trip away! ?Lots to see and do in KC :) ?

?Sorry I cant be of more help. ?Hopefully someone else will chime in with their experience. ?I seem to remember at one time other people saying they went through similar although for the life of me cant recall which branch. ??

• Darn...  can you message me or email me Linz?  I'd really like to talk to someone who can give me a lil' bit of advice...
  • Thanks for your help though QM!  I figured if I had a chance of having someone who knew advice this would be the board to check!!

• Hi-

This is my first time posting - ever. My fiance served 4 years in the Marines and he got out Sept. 2007. We spent the last year so happy and in August he finally asked me to marry him- we have been together for 5 1/2 years. Sunday night he got a phone call and he too has to go to Kansas City October 16th. I am so scared. I dont want him to have to go back. We were planning a November 2009 wedding now we have to stop everything. On top of that, he is in school and I am afraid if he doesnt finish now, he never will!

• Was it simply a phone call or was it also in writing?  Also, did he receive an email from MOBCOM covering the details of involuntary reactivation?  The Sgt my husband talked to said there was a muster there a few months back so it could be a normal update muster your fiancee is going to.  There are DD&Es that you may be able to apply for.  Schooling is one of them.  I just looked up in the handbook they emailed and it here's what it says about schooling "Educational Hardship - You currently attend a 4 yr university, tech college or are in an apprenticeship program and your education will be significantly disrupted as a result".  Keep in mind that clause is for delay.

I'm pretty clueless on the whole situation as well but if you'd like someone to talk to, by all means message me!

• Hi,

Yes, he got a FedEx package as well, but it was sent to his parents house which is why he didnt know about it until they called Sunday night. He also received the email as well. He is going to a 2-year community college but planned to go get his bachelors degree right after- do you think a 2 year school will still qualify him to be exempt? Also, I don't think this is just a normal update because the guy said it is to see if he can be recalled back to active service.

This would be his third deployment if he gets picked. We are planning on getting married anyways, do you think we should get married before he goes? I am from Massachusetts and I only know one other person whose husband is in the Marines.

• What was his MOS?  He may not be recalled if he was deployed 3 times to combat zones.  They are specifically looking for Marines that haven't seen combat.  I guess they figure it's a move even distribution.  As far as getting married because he's going off, I can't give you advice on that.  We were engaged when he was still active but decided it was better for us to wait until he got out but both agreed if he was sent off we'd get married before he went.  That's OUR personal decission.  You just got engaged though so your situation is a little different.  I don't know if a 2 year school qualifies.  It says tech school.  I'm not sure if community college counts as tech school.  Do you have msn or AIM?
  • ilovemycarats, my husband is also a Marine, and I am from Mass also. Dont stress too much about it <i know, easier said than done.> until after he goes to KC, there are so many options. Just make sure he goes prepared.  My husband was recalled in May, the reactivation has been a long process but there are options, and nothing is ever set in stone. Keep your heads up :)
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tted88f.aspx[/img][/url]

This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Hi Linz-E -

How does he go prepared? He already sent his transcripts over, does he need to do anything else? Also, we both live with my grandparens because they suffer from Alzhiemers, I am not sure if he should tell them that. He helps out taking my grandfather to Dr's appointments, with my grandmothers feeding tube, and around the house. Would they take that into consideration?

Did your husband go to active duty yet? Did he try to get out of it?

• He absolutely without a doubt needs to tell them of that.  It falls under the category of family hardship.  He'll need to bring medical documentation of the situation but if he is helping take care of them then I wouldn't not tell them...

My DH and I have looked into every angle to see if we qualify for any of the DD&Es and we can't seem to find one... 

Have you read the IRR Involuntary Activation Handbook they emailed?  It was full of a million answers, well atleast for me I found a million answers.

• By being prepared I mean bringing documents such as school transcripts/proof of enrollment, any documents that would show financial hardship, any VA documents things like that. The handbook that was emailed is helpful if you can get access to that. We go AR next month. It was a hard decision for my husband to go reserves but we decided staying local in our new house and starting a family was more important. My husband has two other friends who were recalled and 1 took the active reserve package and the other took the 1 year sandbox tour.

• The packet was sent to his parents house - I will try to get it some time this week. Since your husband is going into AR, do you know if he will be deployed?

Thank you so much for helping me!

• He took a position in a nondeployable unit @ Westover ARB in WMASS

• THANK YOU! That gives me hope!