Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How much excercise should I be aiming for?

I am extremely overweight and recently started exercising and trying to cut back on my eating (I am a horrible snacker). I am doing 2 x 30 min cardio a week plus 1 x 45 min personal training session. But I seemed to have gained 4 pounds in 5 weeks (but my waist measurement has decreased). I'm thinking that I'm not doing enough and should maybe doing longer cardio and maybe adding another day? I am finding it all extremely discouraging.
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

Re: How much excercise should I be aiming for?

• I lost 60 pounds in 2001 and have maintained it since then, with some minor ups I self-corrected (lost the last 5 I could never get off almost 2 years ago.)

I've never lost weight with exercise alone. I have lost weight with exercise + diet, and diet modification with no exercise. You really want to do both though - when I've lost weight with diet alone I've lost muscle composition.

I'm not sure how overweight is extremely overweight, but I do think that while many folks recommend 30 min exercise daily you shouldn't do that much if it will discourage you from exercising at all. E.g., at times I have totally dropped off diets and totally dropped off exercise plans because I felt I wasn't doing them in a 'perfect' way and that the entire plan just wouldn't work because of the few small mistakes I made. Perfect is the enemy of good - if you're exercising on a regular basis it's a wonderful thing.

The equation is simple: less calories in + more exercise = lost weight, but many of us know it's not so simple to put into practice. If you're gaining weight and that amount of exercise is new to you, I suggest checking out your diet too.

BTW I am a former horrible snacker :) What helped me, and may help you, is to eat on a regular schedule. If I'm at work and it's 3 pm and I'm dying for something, I'll grab a bottle of water and wait it out because I have a 4 PM snack every day (usually a banana or half an english muffin with PB.) Same with 11 am hunger pains - I wait it out because I know I'm going to have lunch soon, and usually water or tea is enough to help me wait it out. Snacking feels a lot less necessary when you rationally know you won't be starved. Also, I take my lunch and 4 pm snacks with a coworker, so there's some social pressure to show up and actually be a little hungry then!

I wish you the best of luck, keep us posted on your progress!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I lost A LOT of weight -- a huge number that I don't want to say, because it would be easy to approximate how bad my weight was.

When I first got the motivation to lose the weight, and discussed it with my Dr., he told me my first weeks goal should be to walk on the treadmill 10 minutes - 5 times a week.  He was more concerned with the frequency per week than the length of each workout.  He then had me increase my workouts as I was getting used to everything.

Good luck!! Remember slow and steady is the way to go.