May 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Baby Shower Gift

I just got the invitation for one of my friend's baby showers.  Everyone is assigned to a month during the first year and it says to bring a gift and book for that month.  I was assigned 11 months.  I know nothing about babies.  NOTHING!  So I need some help.  What do babies do at 11 months and what could I buy?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Baby Shower Gift

• HHhmm thats a tough one. I don't remember what my niece was doing at 11 months. Is she having a boy or a girl? Maybe a nice rag doll for a girl, or a truck for a boy? By then they're usually playing alot.

Two souls but a single thought; Two hearts that beat as one image
  • They chose not to find out what they're having, so that makes it even harder.  Whatever I buy has to work for a boy or a girl.  
  • Maybe see what month it will be when the baby is actually 11 months old, if that makes sense.  Like if he/she turns 11 months old around Christmas, get something Christmas-themed.  You could probably think of a theme for any month.  Books are definitely a safe bet for kids of any age so I'd definitely include a book.  I don't have babies so I'm not sure what else....
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • Good idea Ash!  It will be 11 months in October, so maybe I can find some cute stuff on sale post Halloween as part of my gift.
  • Diapers too! Though I have no idea what diaper stage they are in then..
    Anniversary
  • By then, they are recognizing colors and sounds.  Maybe you could get an educational toy that promotes hand-eye coordination or something they can sing to or dance to.
  • I've never heard of a baby shower that covers each month of the first year of life. That's a cool idea, but makes it really hard too, especially when you don't know what the baby is going to be. It's hard because you can't really get clothes or diapers because they might be bigger or smaller than they should for that age. Like my  nephew, he was born wearing 3 month old cloths. I agree with some of the other girls, books and some sort of toy would be good. Something with colors and music usually goes over well. Good luck!
  • Ok a cloth book that makes different noises n stuff with a teething thing on the corner. Teething stuff is good and a yellow 11mont old outfit. Done and done.
  • image Buckeye_43:
    Good idea Ash!  It will be 11 months in October, so maybe I can find some cute stuff on sale post Halloween as part of my gift.

That sounds like a perfect plan!

• Around 11 months they are usually getting ready to walk, so you could get some sort of walking toy that they push around. Also, since they will be 11 months old around this time of the year, maybe you can get some fall winter clothes for 12 month old.

It seems like a cool idea to assign a month bc lots of baby showers are full of stuff for the first few months of life, then the mom has nothing else. 

• I'll ask my brother.  My nephew just turned one October 9th

EDITED TO CORRECT MY BLONDENESS.... It's too damn early to be thinking about how many months are in a year....

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Here's what my SIL said:

A walker (it?s like a little push cart they can walk around with) is good for that age.  Sippy cups are useful.  I also have these 2 plastic cups with handles that don?t spill things like cheerios but the kid can put their hand in to grab the food on their own.  I bought a rubber mat that you can take to restaurants that suction cups to the table; that?s been nice.  Shoes are good but you wouldn?t know what size at this point.  You could get a baby Einstein video, books in general, bath toys, etc? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image stu31105:
    Here's what my SIL said:

A walker (it?s like a little push cart they can walk around with) is good for that age.  Sippy cups are useful.  I also have these 2 plastic cups with handles that don?t spill things like cheerios but the kid can put their hand in to grab the food on their own.  I bought a rubber mat that you can take to restaurants that suction cups to the table; that?s been nice.  Shoes are good but you wouldn?t know what size at this point.  You could get a baby Einstein video, books in general, bath toys, etc? 

Awesome!  Thank you!