D.C. Area Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Julie, Cheeky, Beachy - Shenandoah Brewing Co.

We actually have done it before - loved it! I did it as a Christmas present for Otto and we used it in spring 2009. I just told him we were doing it instead of buying a gift certificate because the price varies by what kind of beer you make, what supplies you need, etc.

It's kinda pricey but he loved the experience, hence we're doing it again. They have a big menu of the beers they can make - you pick from these and they give you a recipe to follow. For ours, we liked one type of beer but wanted it to be a little less bitter and a tiny bit sweeter, so they adjusted the recipe according to what we wanted.

Here's the process: http://www.shenandoahbrewing.com/brewing/guide.html

Here's the pricing: http://www.shenandoahbrewing.com/brewing/prices.html 

Highly recommend.

If you're bored Saturday between 12:15 and about 3:15, stop on by and have a beer with us while we brew!

TTC since Mar. 2010; 6 IUIs 2011 = 2 CPs; BFP (conceived naturally) 12/9/11; m/c 1/7/11

Re: Julie, Cheeky, Beachy - Shenandoah Brewing Co.

• Thanks for the info! I remember finding this place through an Internet search a few years ago, but it looks like a ton of fun.
    Vacation
  • ::Butting in::

I read about it when someone posted it 1.5 yrs ago and used it as my husband's birthday gift a year ago.  We had a great time and loved the beer we made!

We have the bottles still and want to do another brew, but since I can't drink at the moment, he's been slow at making a decision. 

Highly recommend it!!

Clicky to our blog!! image image 14 Months Old!
  • DH and his crew have done it a few times. i have gone to bottle before too once it is all done. very cool experience! enjoy.
  • great to know! maybe i'll get josh a gift card for a smaller amount just to have something to open (as that would be his "big" present). i'm a beer snob and it sounds like a fun experience so i'm sure it's worth being a little pricey. thanks for the info!
  • Butting in as well.  It's a lot of fun.  We've done it a few times.  I will say it is better with a larger group, especially if you can make 2 different beers.  Bottling takes a while btw, that is also better with more help.  One of our personal favorites is the chocolate donut stoup and I love the fruit lambics but alas my husband does not so I just get glasses when we go.  Another piece of advice, eat before you go - they have snacky food, but they often run out and you are there for a long time.... 
  • My church brews beer here (or, at least I think they still do it here...) and sells it during "pub lunch" after the service on Sundays.  Angel
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we have done it several times...I "may" have been teh one who recommended it for a gift in the past, don't remember....we enjoy it!!!
  • We haven't been there, but to a brew store up in Frederick. I got DH a beginners kit of supplies last year for his bday.  Since last September he's brewed 6-8 batches and each one has turned out great.  He's doing another one this weekend.  I don't know how expensive Shenandoah is, but if anyone's DH is interested in getting the equipment and doing it at home, let me know, DH would be happy to give advice, etc.  He loves talking about beer, especially his beers!  It's a great hobby.
    July 19, 2008

My Food Blog

• image crazyDCbride:
    My church brews beer here (or, at least I think they still do it here...) and sells it during "pub lunch" after the service on Sundays.  Angel

hmmmm....now this might get me into the whole church thing