D.C. Area Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Oh my... My boss just...

gave me an informative "note" for my personnel jacket stating my pumping times and quoting the law stating i have to finish my "lacation period" by April 13, 2011 because the law only gives me a year. 

idiots...

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Oh my... My boss just...

• Indifferent 

That is unbelievable.

So if you want to pump past a year, what are you supposed to do?

And why send a message to your employee that basically says "the only reason we're letting you do this is because of the law, not because we support mothers" ?

And not only that, why is he giving you this now, when the year is up in APRIL?

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • The breathtaking dumbness of this astounds me...why is it these policies and laws are clearly written without consulting the group of people they affect most? When it comes to pumping prescribing times and limits is at best inconsiderate and at worst cruel.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am totally outraged on your behalf. That is terrible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is just... I don't even know what to say. Unbelievable. Heaven forbid they should impose such restrictions on people who go outside for smoke breaks.
  • Wow. I can not believe that! I am also outraged on your behalf
  • That is simply atrocious. How awful! Is your boss a man or a woman? (I'm assuming man...but maybe that's sexist of me...)
    chickwithchopsticks
    St. John, USVI
  • That is rather uncalled for.  Out of curiosity how long do you take to pump.  I know when I went through some supply issues I would wind up pumping for over a half hour, sometimes more like 45 minutes three times a day.  I know I got some looks then.  For the most part though it was 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day.  I always tried to do the first one before work but I wasn't always successful fitting it in.  

I haven't read the law in a long time but doesn't it read, reasonable amount of time and not specific limits.  I know it doesn't restrict frequency.  

• image RomeRomance06:
    That is just... I don't even know what to say. Unbelievable. Heaven forbid they should impose such restrictions on people who go outside for smoke breaks.

Agreed.  That's just outrageous.

• image Jitterbug2668:

gave me an informative "note" for my personnel jacket stating my pumping times and quoting the law stating i have to finish my "lacation period" by April 13, 2011 because the law only gives me a year. 

idiots...

expand on this more...is your boss keeping track of when you are pumping? what is personnel jacket? and why is your boss giving this to you now...it is basically Nov.?

• This really makes me angry. We had a situation where my boss questioned a coworker about the number of times she was pumping (3) and told her she could do 1. We had to call in a union rep and explain to her that she could not dictate this. Apparently (I was not involved in this dispute) my boss backed down after the rep was called.

(I was pregnant at the time, not BF yet.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image MrsSstrug:
    image Jitterbug2668:

idiots...

expand on this more...is your boss keeping track of when you are pumping? what is personnel jacket? and why is your boss giving this to you now...it is basically Nov.?

He asked me to send him an email with the times I would be pumping so basically yes he keeps track which is fine.  That part doesnt bother me because its 3x a day for approx. 30 minutes which normally I also work through. 

Personnel jacket is our permanent record to include disciplinary measures and performance review. 

And yes, hes a man. 

I'm just a little pissed that he feels the need to document my personal business and has made me change pumping rooms because the other persons office I was using wasnt comfortable having me in there pumping even though we're on completely different shifts.  Instead of coming directly to me about it, he went directly to my boss.  It just creates more unnecessary tension. 

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  •  I don't understand how people can be so insensitive and stupid.