Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

controversial opinion

there was a poly-parenting couple that joined our birth class last night. i just don't get how poly relationships are easy at all. i am total prude. 

there was a mom to be and then she introduced her wife and then her boyfriend. my mind exploded. they had such a weird dynamic between all three of them. they were stand offish and i assume its because the rest of the couples are more traditional aka either straight married or mono homosexual relationships. 

bottom line i am a prude and think their relationship is selfish.  

anyone else got anything to be controversial about?  

Re: controversial opinion

• i doubt they are 'easy'

and i'm not sure why your assumption is that they are selfish.

my opinion is to each their own frankly. doesn't bother or harm me.  

• Maybe I watch too much TV about shitty parenting, but my gut reaction was "What kind of guy that is banging a wife couple is really going to stick around and raise a kid?"

Maybe they would shock me and have some nice and neat legal arrangement drawn up, but in general I would not be shocked if that ends in drama.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • image stilldreaming:

i doubt they are 'easy'

i think polygamy is selfish because you want it all. its controversial i know. i admit i believe a relationship is between two people (sex of said people doesn't matter to me). 

• image amy052006:

Maybe I watch too much TV about shitty parenting, but my gut reaction was "What kind of guy that is banging a wife couple is really going to stick around and raise a kid?"

Maybe they would shock me and have some nice and neat legal arrangement drawn up, but in general I would not be shocked if that ends in drama.

no no the guy is the boyfriend to one of the wives not the other. 

a quick article on polyparenting: http://offbeatmama.com/2010/07/poly-parenting 

• image lachute:
    image stilldreaming:

i doubt they are 'easy'

i think polygamy is selfish because you want it all. its controversial i know. i admit i believe a relationship is between two people (sex of said people doesn't matter to me). 

I don't really have an issue with polygamy.  But the fact that the women identify themselves as wives, and the man is boyfriend SCREAMS "sperm donor" to me.

Plural marriage, whatever (provided it is consenting adults and doesn't involve 15 year old child brides and all of those things). Polyamorous non-commited relationships having kids, eh, I judge.

• i dont think i care.

if it works for them, if everyone is safe and happy, it works for me. 

• re: sperm donor

I actually would have understood if it was a third party male who was the donor who wanted to apart of the child's life. the boyfriend/other partner title threw me.

not related at all but it was lol: the non-pregnant wife was freaked out that the midwives hugged moms a lot on the video they showed us and would touch you etc. she was like um CAN YOU TELL THEM NOT TO TOUCH HER. i was like um okay. 

• i'm disappointed, i was hoping this was going to be about race or abortion . . Wink
    image Ridin dirty
  • Speaking of *** I judge...

My boyfriend originally was coming to Atlanta every other weekend to play in our local LARP,

• i'm still confused.  so is he the baby daddy?

its an interesting set up.  i guess i am fine with it.  seems like she is getting the best of both worlds.  but there is no way in heck i could do it.  i am way to jealous to share

• image ering1115:

i'm still confused.  so is he the baby daddy?

its an interesting set up.  i guess i am fine with it.  seems like she is getting the best of both worlds.  but there is no way in heck i could do it.  i am way to jealous to share

um i actually have no idea if he is the baby daddy, they could have another sperm donor? he was called the boyfriend. and her main partner was listed as her wife on all her paperwork/class list.  

• I think, for the most part, I'm indifferent to the situation.  But at the same time, they wouldn't be the "couple" I'd exchange phone numbers with for future play dates. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My controversial opinion is that I hate Halloween. 

I hate dressing up and I hate getting a party invite and being told I HAVE to dress up.  Guess what?  I am not coming

I hate all the candy laying around my house that I will inevitably eat.  I hate answering the door and having to make a fuss over the 187th Buzz Lightyear (or whatever the hot costume is).  I hate the young punks who throw on a cape or something and act like that's a costume.

I am so over Halloween

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • image eaglesfan700:

My controversial opinion is that I hate Halloween. 

I hate dressing up and I hate getting a party invite and being told I HAVE to dress up.  Guess what?  I am not coming

I hate all the candy laying around my house that I will inevitably eat.  I hate answering the door and having to make a fuss over the 187th Buzz Lightyear (or whatever the hot costume is).  I hate the young punks who throw on a cape or something and act like that's a costume.

I am so over Halloween

Amen.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i have never heard of poly-parenting before and I think that it is weird.

that said, if everyone is doing their proper job and the kid is loved and healthy, I cannot complain.

but don't go asking for 3 sections on a parental consent forms - for example -  for my mom, my other mom, and my dad.

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/mjodh1.jpg[/IMG] Hi Francey!
  • image eaglesfan700:

I am so over Halloween

I will be trick or treating in your hood.  You better get excited over a baby robot if we end up at your house :)  

In all honesty though, I don't even want to go trick or treating this year.  My kid can't have candy.  It's like hi, here's my baby who can't have candy, but I can!  DH was so upset that I didn't want to do it that I agreed we could walk around with our friends and he has to walk him to the door and he's only "carrying" a tiny felt pumpkin for a few pieces of candy for DH to have a Kodak moment and then I'm calling it a night.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • image eaglesfan700:

I am so over Halloween

Me neither. Even as a kid, I was over Halloween. 

• image eaglesfan700:

I am so over Halloween

i have always loved halloween but last year and the year before were dominated by the phillies. this year i am kind meh about going out because i can't drink. so my love for halloween has died down.  

• i love halloween. love love love, and it has nothing to do about drinking. i hope this kid shows up on halloween.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i hate working in the consulting world where adults can use made up words like automagically and have people take them seriously.  ugh.
  • I hate Halloween.  I hate having to find a costume.  I hate that the Antoine Dodson costume does not come in maternity size.

Although if my baby was already here, I would probably dress him up like one of those tampon things from Yo Gabba Gabba.  Because that is funny.

• image amy052006:

I hate Halloween.  I hate having to find a costume.  I hate that the Antoine Dodson costume does not come in maternity size.

Although if my baby was already here, I would probably dress him up like one of those tampon things from Yo Gabba Gabba.  Because that is funny.

There is a Halloween Yo Gabba episode OnDemand that Charlie is obsessed with.  I have watched it every.single.day.  I cannot wait for Halloween to get here because that is the day it ends 

Shannon, of course you and your little robot are welcome at our house!

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • image meldot:
    i love halloween. love love love, and it has nothing to do about drinking. i hope this kid shows up on halloween.

meee toooooo!! i guess you just have too comfy of a womb, babydot is chillin'!

image Ridin dirty
  • i love halloween. i love parties. i love fantasy and creativity and breaks from every day life. 

and candy.

and glitter.

• Antoine Dodson! Why didn't I think of that!? That would have been a great costume!