Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

So do you watch yourself give birth?

Do they put a mirror down there or something?  Or is it all people telling you what it looks like?  Do you need to look? 

I imagine it looks something like the scene from Alien where the creature pops out of the person's stomach. But then again, I have the image that childbirth is a baby ninja-kicking its way out of my vag, so maybe I'm being overly dramatic.

What does it look like?  I need to know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: So do you watch yourself give birth?

• They asked if I wanted a mirror with Charlie and I said no way.   The nurse kept bugging me, thinking it would encourage me to push harder if I saw his head.  She even went so far as to wheel one in.

At that point I grabbed mr eagles and said "tell that woman I DO NOT want a mirror and get it the hell out of here"

He took care of it.  I needed to focus and the mirror would distract me, not to mention I had zero interest in seeing that

ETA - Sam came out so fast there was no time for a mirror lol

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Ditto eagles all the way. The offered but I said no way.
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116b04.aspx[/img][/url]
  • They also offered and said hellz noes.
  • I'm all about the mirror.  I haven't come this far to cop out now.

So two things from birthing class:

1)  Last week in a video, the baby was coming out, and the mother said, crying, "It doesn't look like a baby!"

2)  Last night's video featured a couple from Boston.  I forget her name, but his was "Carl", the baby was "Carl, Jr.", and it featured such fun words for the Boston accent as "hard", "labor", and even a nurse named "Barbara".  Unrelated to everything, but it was a total riot to listen to.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • I watched some of it, but the whole thing was an out-of-body experience so I didn't fully understand it was ME I was watching.
    My Boys

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2d9vkzn.jpg[/IMG]
  • If I remember right, Bryn Mawr had a mirror built into the ceiling.  I wanted no parts of looking at that. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Okay, so I don't have to look. 

My friend actually pulled her own baby out.  Or something like that. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • image Beagle211:

Okay, so I don't have to look. 

Kourtney Kardashian did that on tv!  I had no idea that was coming, I don't need to watch anyone else giving birth either.  I hate all those Baby Birthing Story shows.  Some things are just not meant to be shared

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I think I'll want the mirror for motivation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image larrysdarling:
    I think I'll want the mirror for motivation.

I thought about this. Then I learned about how babies are big fat teases, and you will see the head, and then it can disappear up your vag again.  So I will probably just start yelling at it.

• i hope to pull a KK and deliver my own kid and look as spot on as she did while doing it. i know it won't happen but we all have our goals.

amynumbers- i think i saw that same video of the mom who was like that doesn't look like a baby, our class broke out in laughter and agreed. i was glad i saw that just in case my kid lacks hair etc.   

• image amy052006:

I thought about this. Then I learned about how babies are big fat teases, and you will see the head, and then it can disappear up your vag again.  So I will probably just start yelling at it. 

i just LOLd at this and read it to DH, but he didn't laugh quite as hard as I did.

I do not want a mirror.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My coworker and I were just talking about this yesterday.  His wife is due November 10ish and he was showing off his new video camera they bought for the baby.

Someone said something about taping the baby coming out, and I said there was no need to zoom in on the vag.  His wife is NOT gonna want to look at that later.

Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10 
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011 

• image Amerbutt81:

My coworker and I were just talking about this yesterday.  His wife is due November 10ish and he was showing off his new video camera they bought for the baby.

Someone said something about taping the baby coming out, and I said there was no need to zoom in on the vag.  His wife is NOT gonna want to look at that later.

I 100% agree with this.  I am fine with some video of Jr. out and on me or getting cleaned up on whatever.  But we do not need one of the actual pushing out.

• Before DD1 was born, I never would have thought I'd want to watch, but after everyone was making a fuss about seeing her head, I asked for a mirror so I could see for myself. I'm glad I did it, but still, it was, um, interesting.

DD2 was born like 10 minutes after I got into the hospital bed, so there wasn't any time for anything fancy like a mirror. lol.

Emily Suzanne 11.29.2007 | Kate Josephine 4.3.2010 | D&E 10w6d 9.5.2012 | EDD 8.17.2013
  • They asked me if I wanted to see, once they were able to see the head. They held a flashlight, so I could see (she was still far up there). I did look in the little mirror. It's the first time you actually see that there is a baby there...I mean you know they're in there, but to actually see this little head. It's pretty crazy?she had a bunch of hair. I had a long labor, so it was very rewarding to see and feel her little head full of black wet hair. Then motivating to see more and more of her head moving down and out. It's definitely amazing and totally your decision. 

• image Beagle211:

Okay, so I don't have to look. 

I did this with T1 and watched with a mirror, i thought the whole thing was so cool. T2's delivery was a little hectic so there was no time for foo foo stuff

David John 4.19.01
    Jonathan Dean 4.5.08
    Anna Capri 5.4.11