Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pet Insurance? go ahead...snicker, snicker! LOL

I already posted this on the Pets board, but I wanted to see if any of my Philly girls had pet insurance for their animals.  Our little monster, Julia-dog, is 3 years old and I think we should get it before anything happens.  I've heard good things from Petplan and VPI and they look comparable. 

Re: Pet Insurance? go ahead...snicker, snicker! LOL

• I considered getting it and asked the girls who work at my vets office.. They said they feel it's not worthwhile.  They said that a lot of things tend to be excluded, and the coverage isn't so great.  If you find out differently, let me know?
  • I decided not to get it... instead I have an ING account for my dogs that pulls money out of every paycheck. I don't pull enough to cover some crazy expensive illness, though.
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dctxu1.jpg[/IMG]
  • I looked into it a while back with Trixie and then again when we got the three little kitties. From what I have read you are betting off doing what pp suggested. It can get pricey and alot of the time they won't reimburse you for things plus, if your dog is a particular type of breed that is know to have a certain issue, that isn't covered either...Good luck!
    <Image and video hosting by TinyPic>
  • Channel 6 did a consumer reports report about pet insurance a couple of weeks ago...

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/consumer&id=7725362

• i wish i would have had it with oliver when he broke his leg. but now he has a pre-existing condition and he is not qualified for another break. 

• image stilldreaming:

i wish i would have had it with oliver when he broke his leg. but now he has a pre-existing condition and he is not qualified for another break. 

He is the poster puppy for healthcare reform!

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • image martinsgirls:
    I looked into it a while back with Trixie and then again when we got the three little kitties. From what I have read you are betting off doing what pp suggested. It can get pricey and alot of the time they won't reimburse you for things plus, if your dog is a particular type of breed that is know to have a certain issue, that isn't covered either...Good luck!

How are your three little ones?  I bet they are starting to get big!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • my small private practice vet said that it wasn't worth it.  however, he said that if it was a larger animal hospital and basically offered some sort of in-house pet insurance that it would probably be worth it. 

apparently, pet insurance companies also have docs that are in network and all of that stuff too so you need to make sure it would work for the vet you want to see.

• image Kimbatron:
    I decided not to get it... instead I have an ING account for my dogs that pulls money out of every paycheck. I don't pull enough to cover some crazy expensive illness, though.

This. 

Pet insurance isn't worth the price for the coverage it gives you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have Trupanion Pet Insurance. We haven't had to use it yet but I did a lot of research and this one doesn't change the premium when age goes up. We have a high deductible and I only have it in case of severe emergency--we also have a breed that is prone to injury/health issues so it was in the best financial interest for us.
    I suck at getting pregnant
    I really suck at staying pregnant
  • Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it.  We take Julia dog to a small, independent vet office (and we love him!).  I'm thinking of taking the route of just setting money aside in an ING account if there's ever the need for it.  We've had one late-night animal ER visit and I think that was $175 or $180; that's not cheap, but it is definitely under what most plans offer for a deductible, so we'd still have out-of-pocket costs to address first. Thanks again!