Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Going to the Big Island next month...

It is going to my our first time and we are bringing our will-be 5 month baby. We will be staying in a house and will have a car. Is there anything that is a must do?? Any recommendations would be appreciated!! MH is buying a travel book next week but just wanted to see what you ladies recommend! :)

Thanks in advance! 

Re: Going to the Big Island next month...

• Big Island Candies and the Volcanoes National Park! I recommend those =) The only thing thing I've done on the Big Island is surfing but that's not really suitable with a 5-month old baby =)
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • i second Big Island Candies...it's in Hilo. THE best desserts in the island. 

If you're staying in Kailua-Kona side, I'd suggest Hapuna beach, Makalawena Beach (although this might be too much for a baby), also,try to check out thePu?uhonua O Honaunau National History Park.

Also, if you like sushi, my favorite place is right on Alii Drive, it's called Sushi En Fuego..there's a great patio overlooking the ocean :) Have fun! The Big Island is beautiful!

• Everything sounds great!! Thanks ladies. can't wait!!

We are staying in Kailua-Kona...I really want to try Big Island Candies now...it sounds so good! How long do you think the drive is to Hilo?

• I love love love the Big Ialsand, Hilo side though :)  There is so much history there and you really feel like you are in old Hawaii.  Check out the Mauna Loa Macadamia nut farm.  Visit Pana'ewa Rainforest zoo and gardens, It's a small zoo but very lush and beatiful, there is a beautiful white tiger there named Namaste.  Also check out Manago Hotel in Captain cook, very very old hotel great place to eat.  Make sure you get Hot malasadas at Tex Drive-In in Honokaa.  Have lunch at Kuhio Grille, get shave ice in Waimea at Mauna Kea Snow.  Check out Akaka falls, amazing beautiful.  Stop at the Laupahoehoe Train Museum. And if you can find the road to where the old laupahoehoe school use to be.  You can pay your respects to the children that lost there lives in the 1946 tidal wave....it's a very beautiful and powerful ocean front park.