Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Peanut Butter?

I have been trying to get in better shape lately by exercising more and eating better.  I wouldn't consider it a diet, I'm just trying to make healthier choices.  However, I've run into a roadblock when it comes to peanut butter.  One of my favorite snacks is an apple with pb on it and pb&j is my fall back lunch a couple times of week.  Is there a healthier pb out there?  Or a good substitute?

Thanks, ladies! 

Re: Peanut Butter?

• I loooove peanut butter and think it is healthy if you get the kind that doesn't have sugar in it, and eat it in moderation (I can't remember but I think 1 tbsp is considered a serving?)  In terms of fat grams, I think all nut or seed butters are up there.  I think almond butter might have more benefits because they are a super food?  I think sesame seed butter (tahini) might have more calcium than the other kinds of butters?  I guess it depends on whether you are trying to cut down on fat intake, or get more health benefits.

(runs off to find out about different nut/seed butters)

GL!  Smile

• I don't think pb is bad.  In fact, MH has been reading a lot about nutrition and recent research shows that saturated fat isn't really linked to heart disease.  Plus, pb has a lot of protein so I think apples and pb are a great snack.  I like almond butter with apples, too, though. 

• I think PB is fine.  I just try to get one with less additives, like the one I get from Trader Joe's.  It has two ingredients: peanuts and salt (and there is a salt-free variety, too).  If you don't have a Trader Joe's, I'm sure a natural store would have one with just peanuts, or at the very least, a lot less additives than regular national brands.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Chika is right - look for it without sugar and watch the portion size.
  • image Amy4773:
    Chika is right - look for it without sugar and watch the portion size.

Yes  It's really not that bad for you as long as you get it without all the added sugar and you watch your serving size. Enjoy your snack!

• I love peanut butter too!  I met with a nutritionist once and she suggested almond butter to me.  I bought some at the "nut bar" at Safeway where they grind it fresh.  It was pretty good, but not as ooey and gooey as my beloved peanut butter!  They have some regular jarred ones too, but I haven't tried it.  It is expensive (in Hawaii, at least...)!
  • Ditto! PB is awesome, but getting a natural one with fewer additives is the way to go.
  • image jaymers99:
    I love peanut butter too!  I met with a nutritionist once and she suggested almond butter to me.  I bought some at the "nut bar" at Safeway where they grind it fresh.  It was pretty good, but not as ooey and gooey as my beloved peanut butter!  They have some regular jarred ones too, but I haven't tried it.  It is expensive (in Hawaii, at least...)!

I don't believe it... nothing is expensive here! 

• try cashew butter...ah-mazing! i actually make my own in my vitamix.  or i'll make macadamia butter.  any butters than peanut are actually better for you. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • image husky422:
    try cashew butter...ah-mazing! i actually make my own in my vitamix.  or i'll make macadamia butter.  any butters than peanut are actually better for you. 

I just got a Vitamix and have yet to make anything other than smoothies...how do you make nut butter with it?  Do you make a big batch?  How long will it last?

• My mom never got us peanut butter as kids - always almond or hazelnut butter since they're healthier (the hazelnut butter is good but fairly strong flavored). Tasty. Smile
  • image kaesha:
    Ditto! PB is awesome, but getting a natural one with fewer additives is the way to go.

This for sure! There are TONS of brands that have just two ingredients: peanuts and salt. We always stick to those at our house! 

• image lelekay:
    I just try to get one with less additives, like the one I get from Trader Joe's.  It has two ingredients: peanuts and salt (and there is a salt-free variety, too). 

i LOVE the organic, salt-free pb at TJ's!  And it doesn't get quite as runny/separated as some other brands of natural pb.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker