Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Halloween is just around the corner, what are......

you gonna dress up as?  Are you doing anything?  I love Halloween, ever since I was a little girl, I always dressed up in outrageous costumes.  My sister loved to sew and she made all my stuff all the way up till I was in High school.  The Hubs and I kinda met on Halloween so it's a specal "holiday" for us.  He would never in a million years thought that he would be dressing up for Halloween.  But since he met me it's been kind of a tradition :)  Last year I was a cat from the broadway show CATS and the hubs was a gorilla.  He is always a gorilla.  So this year I made him think outside of the box and he decided to be ZORO, I'm gonna be a pirate.  We have fun going out on the motorcycle all dressed up, even if we don't really go anywhere, it's fun to ride around town.  We dress up as Mr. and Mrs. Claus Christmas time and ride around town too.  Yes we are nutts, but we are fun nutts  :)  so what about all of you, any plans?

Re: Halloween is just around the corner, what are......

• image thoperopesope:
    you gonna dress up as?  Are you doing anything?  I love Halloween, ever since I was a little girl, I always dressed up in outrageous costumes.  My sister loved to sew and she made all my stuff all the way up till I was in High school.  The Hubs and I kinda met on Halloween so it's a specal "holiday" for us.  He would never in a million years thought that he would be dressing up for Halloween.  But since he met me it's been kind of a tradition :)  Last year I was a cat from the broadway show CATS and the hubs was a gorilla.  He is always a gorilla.  So this year I made him think outside of the box and he decided to be ZORO, I'm gonna be a pirate.  We have fun going out on the motorcycle all dressed up, even if we don't really go anywhere, it's fun to ride around town.  We dress up as Mr. and Mrs. Claus Christmas time and ride around town too.  Yes we are nutts, but we are fun nutts  :)  so what about all of you, any plans?

I love it! Riding around on a motorcycle in costume sounds fun. With my luck, the wind would shred my costume. Then, I'd be a shreddy with a helmet... or worse.

I really want to be the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland. Mostly because I want to yell, "Bring me the pig!" and ask people if they'd like a pig... and talk my H into dressing like the pig. hahaha, really, I just think the hair and makeup is great. I am having trouble finding a puffy dress. I wish I had your sisters talent to make costumes. I thought I would be able to find some horrible homecoming dress at Nordstrom Rack and embellish it. So far, no luck.

Any ideas on where I could find a dress... or pieces? I don't want to buy the standard costume. More fun to piecemeal it.

Newlyweds since 2007
  • I saw the Red Queen's dress at K-Mart.  I got my costume there and the costumes are 30% off right now.  Pretty decent quality, you should check it out.  Savers is the other place you can check out.  And of course you could always use your trusty glue gun and add some felt and fabric to a bought skirt and blouse.  Sounds like a fun costume to make.....pictures please :)
  • We don't have any plans for Halloween, other than taking DD trick-or-treating.  I still want to dress-up though, so I am going to be Strawberry Shortcake.  My sister (who lives with us) is going to be The Peculiar Purple Pie Man of Porcupine Peak.  He is the villain from the Strawberry Shortcake cartoons.  DD has decided that she wants to be a mailman.  She's convinced that our dog, Reptar, is going to chase her around all night.
  • Bella's going to be a ladybug.  RYan and I were thinking of being different bugs, any ideas? Or a tree and a flower? 
  • image MrsZiz:
    Bella's going to be a ladybug.  RYan and I were thinking of being different bugs, any ideas? Or a tree and a flower? 

Have you seen Miss Spider? If not, check google images. They have very bright bugs. The costumes would be easy to make... a few circles of bright felt (or even poster board) decorated. You could wear black leggings or tights... then, make extra legs with black tights. Your H could wear black jogging pants.

Newlyweds since 2007
  • image Surfinbride:

image MrsZiz:
    Bella's going to be a ladybug.  RYan and I were thinking of being different bugs, any ideas? Or a tree and a flower? 

Have you seen Miss Spider? If not, check google images. They have very bright bugs. The costumes would be easy to make... a few circles of bright felt (or even poster board) decorated. You could wear black leggings or tights... then, make extra legs with black tights. Your H could wear black jogging pants.

Great ideas!! I'll share it with DH and hope he doesn't veto it! We have to decide this weekend! 

• image Surfinbride:

I really want to be the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland. Mostly because I want to yell, "Bring me the pig!" and ask people if they'd like a pig... and talk my H into dressing like the pig. hahaha, really, I just think the hair and makeup is great. I am having trouble finding a puffy dress. I wish I had your sisters talent to make costumes. I thought I would be able to find some horrible homecoming dress at Nordstrom Rack and embellish it. So far, no luck.

Any ideas on where I could find a dress... or pieces? I don't want to buy the standard costume. More fun to piecemeal it.

What about the thrift store or goodwill? I was there the other day and they had tons of HORRIBLE old school prom/homecoming dresses. That's where I would start. You could always use RIT dye and change the color of the dress too... I'm good and piecemealing things too. WAY more fun than just buying a costume, at least for adults. This year I think the "real" costumes are super slutty and there's no way they'd cover my butt let alone the growing bump.