Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Ironically, I hate jujubes.

I think the correct spelling is jujube.  It's a fruit they have in Korea, in Korean it's called a dae-chu.  In the traditional Korean wedding ceremony called pae-baek, jujubes are thrown at the bride as she sits with her husband.  She tries to catch them in the skirt of her hanbok, the traditional Korean dress.  How many she catches has something to do with how many children they will have.  Also, if she doesn't smile/show teeth, i think that's supposed to be good for having boys??

Koreans like to also boil them for tea, and put them in this Korean chicken soup.

Anyone knowledgeable about Korean wedding traditions please correct my mistakes here, there are probably plenty.

When I originally changed my screen name here from ejenjoo to jujubee96, it was because a close friend in 7th grade called me jujubee as a nickname once.  Literally once.  Because my name is jenjoo.  joojoo.  juju.  whatever.  I had no idea that dae-chu were called jujubes until i saw them in the Korean market recently.

I told you I had to increase the number of my posts.

Re: Ironically, I hate jujubes.

• I always wondered what your screen name represented.  Now I know.  :)

• Ha! I just always thought you really liked these things lol:

• image redshoegirl:

Ha! I just always thought you really liked these things lol:

Me, too!  :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i don't like those gummy things either.  they stick to your teeth.

this is what Korean jujubes (dried) look like.

daechu 

• I read about the Korean wedding tradition of catching the fruit somewhere.  Are jujubes the same as goji berries?  They look like goji berries.  Now you've got me thinking about, and craving Korean food!  Wink
  • Daechu are stinky! Heheheh i always hated the smell from the kitchen when she was using them to cook. Very distinctive.

But i had NO idea that daechu were also called jujubees? Hmm. I'll ask my mom about that the next time we talk...how funny!

• image chikarakobu:
    I read about the Korean wedding tradition of catching the fruit somewhere.  Are jujubes the same as goji berries?  They look like goji berries.  Now you've got me thinking about, and craving Korean food!  Wink

Nope, they're bigger than goji berries...

I like jujubes (the fruit, not the gummy candy) =) They're basically some type of Asian date I think... so the size of it is about as big as a date.

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies