Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Favorite Soup Recipes

Anyone care to share?  Soup, stew, chili recipes?

I've been in a big soup making mood with the fall weather.  I'd love to get some more ideas for what to cook in the coming weeks.  Here are a couple new ones we've tried this year and enjoyed:

Curried Carrot Soup - I liked this soup because it was so easy to make with a short ingredient list.  It's a bit unique in flavor so it may not be for everyone but I really liked it!

Butternut Squash Soup - Made this last night - I picked the recipe because it didn't have any heavy creams/too much butter - it was good as the recipe states but I added some cumin for a little more kick. 

African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup - We loved this one because it was a little different but super tasty!  Long ingredient list though :-/

Re: Favorite Soup Recipes

• I just got 4 new recipes for soups the other night. One was for a Butternut Squash Soup. The other's were Mexican Tortilla Soup, Zucchini & Sausage Soup, and Tomato Gorganzola Soup. I tried the zucchini & sausage soup and was surprised that I liked it so much. The Butternut Squash one reminded me of mashed potatoes a lot.
  • Super belated, but I made this a couple of nights ago and we're still eating leftovers.  It won't blow your socks off, but it's a nice, basic chicken/noodle/vegetable soup.  I'll make it again.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/slow-cooker-chicken-and-pasta-soup-recipe/index.html

I cut back on the chicken and only used about a pound, but next time I make it, I'll use even less chicken and add more veggies.  It depends on your preference though.

• I don't really have a recipe for it, but my grandma used to make a really good hamburger soup.

Browned ground beef with onions and garlic.  Put canned tomatoes in with beef stock and frozen peas.  Add the meat.  When it's boiling, add some egg noodles, and cook until noodles are done.

It's just seasoned with salt and pepper.

There's no complex flavors or anything like that - just simple comfort food.  I like that every once in a while. 

• I made pumpkin turkey chili last weekend when we were up at Boyne.  It was a huge hit with our group.  I sort of combined a couple of recipes from allrecipes (the first one that comes up when you search pumpkin turkey chili and the pumpkin chili mexicana that Kasa has posted before).  
  • image Diana Prince:
    I made pumpkin turkey chili last weekend when we were up at Boyne.  It was a huge hit with our group.  I sort of combined a couple of recipes from allrecipes (the first one that comes up when you search pumpkin turkey chili and the pumpkin chili mexicana that Kasa has posted before).  

Yes

• I'm going to drag this thread out forever.  Ha!  But if anyone is still interested in soup recipes, here's another good one.  I made it a couple of times last year and I just made it again last night.  I really like it.  It's from one of the Moosewood cookbooks.

Okra Gumbo Soup
    1 cup chopped onions
    2 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    2 bay leaves
    2 celery stalks, finely chopped
    1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium carrot, diced
    1 cup chopped potatoes
    2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
    3 cups vegetable stock or water
    1 cup fresh corn
    1 cup sliced fresh okra
    1 Tbsp cider vinegar
    salt & ground black pepper to taste
    Tabasco or other hot sauce to taste
    1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce

Saute the onions in the vegetable oil until just translucent. Add the herbs, celery, bell pepper, carrot, and potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring to prevent sticking. Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn, okra, and vinegar and simmer until the okra is tender. Remove the bay leaves. Add the remaining seasonings to taste. Makes 4-6 servings