Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Nervous- hilly 5k on Saturday.

I don't know if  can do this one sub-30. I ran one at the beginning of the month in 29:45. It was hilly,, but the steepest grade on mapmyrun was 3%. The 5k I'm doing on Saturday has a grade of 5%! This is going to be a hard one.

Re: Nervous- hilly 5k on Saturday.

• Just remember the mantra of hill running.

ALL hills are flat! Keep your head up and you'll do wonderfullly!

• Thanks! I found my motivation just now. There's a woman I don't care for running the race, so I will now proceed to chase her down and leave her in my dust. Isn't that terrible? It makes it so much easier to run faster, though. I just talked through my strategy with DH. I'm just going to treat it like the last 5k- sprint down the hills and take it slow up hill. It worked last time, so why not try it again.

I will be repeating that in my head on Saturday- all hills are flat, all hills are flat. Maybe I'll say it aloud as I run.

• When I had hill nights in training sometime between the 8th and 10th repeat I was repeating that phrase like gospel in my head.

Chasing down the annoying woman would work too, as long as she's fast. ;) But I have a feeling with a bit of determination you'll have her eating your dust no problem.

Make sure you let us know how it works out after the fact!

• Take it easy on those shins WO! A lady gave me great advice as she saw my "In Training-  Baltimore Half" shirt the other day in a race....

"it's just about putting one foot in front of the other. That's all a Half is, just one foot in front of the other!"

then she drifted off to her finish line for her 5K and I had to do another loop for my 10K....but I totally repeated that in my head throughout the rest of it! It got me through.

• I chant "We love hills, yes we do. We love hills, how 'bout you?"
    Karen 7.28.07

Running on the Rhode

I hate you very much
  • image WhiteOrchid.:

Thanks! I found my motivation just now. There's a woman I don't care for running the race, so I will now proceed to chase her down and leave her in my dust. Isn't that terrible? It makes it so much easier to run faster, though. I just talked through my strategy with DH. I'm just going to treat it like the last 5k- sprint down the hills and take it slow up hill. It worked last time, so why not try it again.

I will be repeating that in my head on Saturday- all hills are flat, all hills are flat. Maybe I'll say it aloud as I run.

That's a great motivator. Good luck!

<a href="http://www.lifeintheatl.blogspot.com">Follow me to AtlantaRunningMom.com</a><p><p><a href="http://marathonbars.com">Stay on. Keep on. - Team MARATHON Bars 2012</a><p><p>[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/14kd5r4.jpg[/IMG]<BR>[IMG]http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u501/lbellxc/NYCMarathonBadge-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image psyri:
    I chant "We love hills, yes we do. We love hills, how 'bout you?"
    2011 Race Schedule! 2/20/11-Flat 5k Foxboro-28:10 3/5/11-Irish 5k Pawtucket-26:57 PR!!!! 3/19/11-St.Pats 5k Providence-26:59 7/4/11-Harvard Pilgrim 10k Foxboro-1:00:00 Instant PR!! 8/7/11-Rock-n-Roll 1/2 Marathon Providence-2:11:07 Instant PR! 10/10/11-Tufts 10k for Women Boston-????
  • image psyri:
    I chant "We love hills, yes we do. We love hills, how 'bout you?"

I like that Karen!!!

2011 Race Schedule! 2/20/11-Flat 5k Foxboro-28:10 3/5/11-Irish 5k Pawtucket-26:57 PR!!!! 3/19/11-St.Pats 5k Providence-26:59 7/4/11-Harvard Pilgrim 10k Foxboro-1:00:00 Instant PR!! 8/7/11-Rock-n-Roll 1/2 Marathon Providence-2:11:07 Instant PR! 10/10/11-Tufts 10k for Women Boston-????
  • just consider this, the faster you run up a hill, the faster you'll be done with it.
    ExerciseMilestone