Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Travelling to Paris . . .

I'm sure there's someone here who has been, I'm helping a family member plan a trip as a gift to their spouse. I've never been, but this person has never booked travel and has no idea where to start so I'm helping from that perspective. Or do you think its better to use an agent? I'm looking for anything, hotel recs, places to eat, sites not to miss, etc . . .

image Ridin dirty

Re: Travelling to Paris . . .

• I like tripadvisor.com in general... I use it to check hotels and must-sees.

I can't help with recommendations since I was only there for work... I didn't actually get to see anything. booooo.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dctxu1.jpg[/IMG]
  • I've been several times, we're going again this summer. My cousin and best friend (Brooks' god-father) live there if you want any advice.

We always book individually not through an agent or as a package. 

[IMG]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/mzovoce/s628552874_122950_682.jpg[/IMG]
  • calling mrs. rum to the travel lodge. 
  • We went for 4 days and I planned the trip myself. I think Rum and SD gave me recommendations for where to stay/what to do when I was booking.

Flew PHL to Charles De Gaulle red-eye, direct on US Airways.

(note, CDG airport has two locations. Make sure they know which one they're departing from. We got lost trying to get home).

I found hotel deals online so we ended up staying at two different hotels, in two different parts of town. I've never switched hotels mid trip before but thought it was a cool way to experience the city.  First hotel is escaping me but the second was the Novotel, which is in a more touristy part of town but steps from the Metro.

I read Rick Steve's Guide to Paris. I don't watch his show but I highly recommend it. We found great restaurant recs and decided to get the museum pass because of it.  He gives you the option of doing an abbreviated tour or a full out tour of each of the sites he reviews, which we found so helpful.

• i second tripadvisor. i love that site. the travel board here is pretty helpful too.

My little nuggets

• i like starting with booking a flight online early and then getting some travel books.  that way you can figure out what you want to do/see and book hotels accordingly.  i usually do a follow up with trip advisor to see what the reviews for the hotels are prior to booking.

i haven't done paris so i have no recs on that part.  sorry!

• I've used tripadvisor for every vacation we've taken (even our honeymoon) to find hotels and restaurants.
    My Boys

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2d9vkzn.jpg[/IMG]
  • hotel st germain is i believe where we stayed. lovely and affordable, but a wee bit of a walk to the stuff near the river. 

i want to go back to paris.

• I also like the Travel page on nytimes.com
  • I will second Rick Steve's books.  They are really great for planning and probably the only book you need when traveling. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • image lachute:
    calling mrs. rum to the travel lodge. 

you're sweet. it has been faaaaar too long for me to have any useful advice other than go, enjoy, eat, drink, and take the bus as much as you possibly can because it is so much more fun to watch the roads and bldgs go by instead of the subway. that said, the subway is easy and should not be "scary" to tourists.  

I really do love Mus?e D'Orsay.  A lot.

Rue Mouffetard is markety and tiny restauranty and cute belgian beer bar-y.  go.

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/mjodh1.jpg[/IMG] Hi Francey!