June 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Bikram Yoga

I don't know at what point my logical mind said:

"Hey, I've been working all day.  I think the best thing to do now is pay some skinny stranger $18 to put me in a 105 degree room and make my fatas$ do yoga.  Yes, definitely the best thing to do."

That's what I did this evening.   I spent the bulk of the class in the standing or sitting pose (sorry I don't remember the names) because I thought I was going to vom whenever I did two poses in a row.

But they talked me into buying two-weeks unlimited as a beginner's special, so I'm going at least once more to get my money's worth.

Anybody else tried this?  Any suggestions to not feel like I'm goin to puke any given second?

Sometimes I think this healthy stuff is for the birds.

Anniversary

Re: Bikram Yoga

• I have never tried it.  My BFF tried to get me to do it with her for a long time, but neither of us ever did. 

Good luck in the next couple of weeks.  I am sure it will get easier as you keep going. 

• Shortly before I became pregnant I started doing Bikram. I found out I was pregnant about 5 classes in so I obviously stopped. Dude, you're right, it's friggin' hard! I, too, sat in the child's pose for most of my first 2 classes. It does get easier and, though. I really started looking forward to it because of the way I felt afterwards.

Best advice for you: drink lots of water, rest when it gets hard, where tightger fitting clothes, breathe, and don't push yourself when doing poses.

Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I decided to give it a shot right after I graduated college.... I wanted to do yoga & it was the only yoga place in town that I knew of.  It did get better after the first few times as my body got more used to it.  Then I took a break because I got the flu.  When I went back, my body still wasn't completely back to normal & I thought I was going to die that day (literally)... I walked out in the middle of class & then being young/stupid I was too embarrased to go back in for my towel & water botttle so I just left the building & them there.... oops.  Needless to say, I haven't gone back.  I just stick with regular yoga now.  Stupid story I know, but I feel for you definitely.... and it does get better after a couple of times!!