Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Where to buy a ton of veggies, fruit etc. to store for the winter?

Hi Nesties!

I started "putting away" food this summer and just wish that I had planted a greater variety of veggies in my garden.

Where do y'all go locally to get a bunch of high-quality garden produce for canning, freezing and/or dehydrating?  And how do their prices compare to grocery stores?

I work out-of-town every Sunday and can't get to any farmers markets that day.  And I have to admit that I've never been to Tomato - Tomato or other farmers markets in Omaha.

Any tips??

Thanks in advance,

Sara

Re: Where to buy a ton of veggies, fruit etc. to store for the winter?

• I know there is a place out near Ashland, he's a pretty big producer... you could proably find some great stuff there AND I know that would be not to far from your self. I will as my coworker who lives near him what his name is tomarrow. Wenningoff's farms would also have a selections but they are on the north end of Omaha... much further from you...
    Our Fur-babies!
  • Well, we don't freeze, can or dehydrate anything - but in the winter we typically go to Tomato Tomato.  Their prices depend - some things are cheaper than the grocery store, some are more expensive. 

You should go check out the farmer's market downtown on Saturdays - it's quite fantastic.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks you two! 

Jasarah, I didn''t even know T-T is open year-round...  will have to go.

Sarah, when I was at a bar in Yutan (!) a couple of weeks ago someone was talking about this guy in Ashland who sells all kinds of produce, but I didn't get his name...  That would be cool if it's the same guy.  Thanks for asking your co-worker - I'll keep watching for your post!  Hope you've had a great summer - - how's your car doing and the running going?  Have you and DH been outside alot?  My guy's going hunting tomorrow or Fri - he's pretty stoked.

Cheers,

Sara

• I went to Tomato Tomato yesterday and was disappointed.  I'm going to an orchard hopefully this weekend to stock up on apples and peaches to can.  I need to find pears and veggies yet.  If you find a local farmer, let me know!  I never make it to the farmer's market...I'm lazy.
  • image dingwomancake:

Thanks you two! 

Sarah, when I was at a bar in Yutan (!) a couple of weeks ago someone was talking about this guy in Ashland who sells all kinds of produce, but I didn't get his name...  That would be cool if it's the same guy.  Thanks for asking your co-worker - I'll keep watching for your post!  Hope you've had a great summer - - how's your car doing and the running going?  Have you and DH been outside alot?  My guy's going hunting tomorrow or Fri - he's pretty stoked.

Cheers,

Sara

OK The last name for the guy I'm thinking of is Heldt. First name is Greg. My coworker said he could technically border Yutan but she's not sure! I hope that helps you. I know he's a big producer for Walmart.  Summer is going great. My car is running well although I wish It would quit so I can buy a new one! I'm still running some but the summer has been HARD and HOT!! We have spent a ton of time outside. DH hopes to do tons of hunting this year. We got a Brittany Spaniel this spring and he will be DH's hunting buddy. They have lots of work to do so I'm not sure how much hunting will get done and how much traning will get done!

Have a fantastic week!

Our Fur-babies!
  • Wenninghoffs is right over here on about 85th and Sorensen pkwy.  We like everything we've purchased from them.  I don't know anything about canning or dehydrating, but everything fresh was great =)  I also thought the prices were good.
  • Thanks y'all - 

And thanks for getting the guy's name Sarah - glad to hear you're still running!  My husband starts the hunting odyssey Friday (he hopes).  Nothing with four legs though, only birds.

If I find any good farms I will start a new post with a report. :)

Sara