Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone ever been to a registered dietician?

Thinking about looking into seeing one. There's NO way that I shouldn't be losing weight with as much as I do. The only possible thing it can be is my diet.

I googled RD in Omaha and stuff like GNC as well as other places like Jenny Craig came up. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but I know it's not places like that. 

Any suggestions?

Re: Anyone ever been to a registered dietician?

• HyVee?? I know they have one on staff and there are signs advertising their services & they're free...

also, my cousin is a dietician & he works at a hospital, so that could also be an option.

• I second Hy-Vee's Registered Dietitian. I put on city-wide health challenges, and all the contestants meet with a RD from Hy-Vee each week. Unfortunately their services are not free, but you can get a pretty good deal if you sign up for multiple sessions at once. I would recommend Karen Kuzma at the 50th and O Hy-vee. She can have you keep a food journal and critique it, take a metabolism test to see (almost) exactly how many calories you are burning each day, etc. Most of all, she will keep you accountable to what you are fueling your body with and help you reach your goals. Her work number is 402.314.6704

• Sara! Thank you! Knowing how many calories I'm burning each day just by living is such an important part of my equation that I'm missing. I do currently track my food as well as take note of the calories I'm burning while working out (heart rate monitor). After I get done with all the races I've committed to in the next month, I'm so calling her!
  • hy vee here has one on staff
  • image JH1:
    Sara! Thank you! Knowing how many calories I'm burning each day just by living is such an important part of my equation that I'm missing. I do currently track my food as well as take note of the calories I'm burning while working out (heart rate monitor). After I get done with all the races I've committed to in the next month, I'm so calling her!
    You will love Karen! I also find I stopped losing weight when I kicked my running/training into high gear. Frustrating to say the least, and I was hoping it wouldn't happen. I always thought it was a psychological thing (not losing weight while training for a marathon) so I was determined not to let it happen to me (and it did). Oh well! Running a half marathon will be a victory and then I can go back to focusing on weight loss. Good luck!
  • Have you had bloodwork done recently?  Could it be thyroid related?
  • image Slento15:
    Have you had bloodwork done recently?  Could it be thyroid related?

I've had my thyroid checked a few times over the years, mostly when I was overweight and was hoping that was the reason for the weight problem. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm eating too few calories for how hard I train. And let me clarify that I don't feel starving or hungry ( I eat about 1600-1900 calories a day). But per my HRM I'm burning about 1200-1800 a day ... 6x wk. I just can not wrap my head around eating 2000+ calories.

• image JH1:

image Slento15:
    Have you had bloodwork done recently?  Could it be thyroid related?

I've had my thyroid checked a few times over the years, mostly when I was overweight and was hoping that was the reason for the weight problem. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm eating too few calories for how hard I train. And let me clarify that I don't feel starving or hungry ( I eat about 1600-1900 calories a day). But per my HRM I'm burning about 1200-1800 a day ... 6x wk. I just can not wrap my head around eating 2000+ calories.

My first guess would also be that you aren't eating enough calories--as much as I see you are working out in your posts you probably need to be eating quite a bit--have you posted your scenario on H&F--they seem to advocate making sure you are eating enough quite a bit and they'd probably tell ya you need to eat more but then again they aren't professionals :)  What someone else mentioned about it being hard to lose when training I have heard too though.  You've done great so far--I'm sure you'll get the next phase figured out.

• I am a dietitian. I have not sat for my boards so I am not a RD. I would talk to your doctor first and with most insurances you need a referral to see an RD. The first thing they are going to have you do is keep a food journal for a week or so. When doing so you have to be extremely honest which is hard for everyone. 

The HR monotors as means of estimating kcals burned can be extremely inaccurate. It depends on your metabolism and there is no way of telling what your metabolism is like unless you have specific tests run.

If you are looking for a start I would start with a food journal. If you have any questions you can email me. annedemps (at) hotmail (dot) com.

I have primarily worked in pediatrics but the basics are pretty basic.  

• If I'm being really honest, I can say that I am probably only 90% accurate with my food tracking (I've been journaling what I eat most days for 2.5 years).

And even if the HRM is off, I don't know how a person can lift weights 4x/wk, do abs 2x/wk, run 17-25 miles/wk + another 6-8 hours of cardio/wk and not lose weight. Arrrgh! But hopefully after this running season slows down (in Oct), I'll be able to really dial in on my diet. In the meantime, I'm trying to eat cleaner little by little (which is hard to do!!).