Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I'm not grocery shopping this week, need ideas

I'm not grocery shopping this week.  I'm attempting to get rid of the odds and ends in the freezer/pantry.  But I'm running out of ideas.  So far we had brats/sausages/hot dogs with sauteed zucchini and squash with peaches and kiwi and orange teriyaki chicken with rice and soy sesame broccoli and wax beans.  Tonight we are having bean soup and corn bread.

I have a couple pounds of ground beef, one steak, one chicken leg quarter, one pork chop, and a couple tilapia fillets.  I also have a head of cabbage, some yukon gold potatoes, some carrots, peaches, beets, parsley, swiss chard, cilantro.  And then I have the usual pantry staples, canned tomatoes, various pastas, various rices (brown, sushi, wild), etc.  And I will be getting more veggies on Wednesday from the CSA (possilby collards, dill, lettuce, and a bunch of veggies that I'm forgetting about and more peaches and some pears).

I need to make 4 more meals before I shop again.  I was thinking I could make some stuffed cabbage with the ground beef and cabbage.  Never done that before, anyone have a good recipe? 

Other ideas that are jumping out at anyone? 

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10

Re: I'm not grocery shopping this week, need ideas

• I love to use cabbage for making stir fry.  I'd probably use the carrots for that too.

• image velocitygrl:

I love to use cabbage for making stir fry.  I'd probably use the carrots for that too.

We've gotten a lot of cabbage from the CSA this year, I've either made cole slaw or stir fried it pretty much every week.  Not sure I can convince DH he wants stir fry again this week.  :)

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • if you have tortillas of any kind, i love making fish tacos with tilapia. or, you can bake tilapia and make a rice pilaf kind of thing with it, with the carrots and some other veggies.

with the beef, my go-tos are usually hamburgers (duh), homemade spaghetti, stuffed peppers (also uses your rice! haha), or just a simple beef and noodles dish. could you make kebobs or something similar with the steak and veggies?  

imageimage
    bio
  • Why don't you use the ground beef adn cabbage for making some cabbage rolls?  There are a ton of recipes for them if you google and that uses a tomato sauce (canned tomatoes).  I would probably grill the odds and ends meat and have a free for all one night.  Tilapia -- why not add to it, bread it and cook it in pieces and have fish tacos (another use for cabbage, BTW)?  Beets I would likely roast and serve with some goat cheese or in a salad.  Carrots -- why not shred them up and mix in with the cabbage rolls?  Peaches -- just a side dish or cobbler or pie.  Or make a peach salsa with the cilantro.  With the other pound of ground beef, you could do regular tacos, lasanga and incorporate the chard into it, meat sauce.  So that's 4:  cabbage rolls, mix it up, fish tacos and lasagna/sauce. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Ditto pp that you can use the tilapia for fish tacos.  You can make a cabbage slaw either on the side or as a topping.  The breaded tilapia sounds good, but I usually just sautee it and add some taco seasonings. 

You could also use the ground beef, rice, canned tomatoes, etc. to make a mexican skillet dish (like spanish rice with meat).  I've done that for stuffed peppers, but the peppers wouldn't be necessary if you didn't have any.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You can use the ground beef, potatoes (mashed) & assorted veggies to make what we referred to as Potato House growing up. It's a casserole, that's sort of made like building a house. (Silly name, I know.)

Ground beef, browned - add in whatever veggies you'd like. I typically use onions & green peppers, but the carrots & possibly cabbage would work well. Add some A1 sauce, season salt & garlic salt - or whatever other spices you'd prefer, to taste.

Layer mashed potatoes over meat, and top with cheese. (If you want - not necessary.) Bake till cheese is melted, or until heated through.

• You can do parsley potatoes as a side with some onions and garlic (if you also have those).  Check out allrecipes.com and do an ingredient search.  There's some good stuff that comes up in there once and awhile. 

DS#1 - 8/2009
    CafeMom Tickers

my read shelf:
    Cindy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • The only thing that jumped out at me is a Pear - Pork Chop recipe (easily served with rice, etc) that I've used

Grilled Pork Chops & Carmelized Pears

I often search by ingredient on the $5 Dinner site:

http://www.5dollardinners.com/recipes/ingredientsearch

PHOTOS REMOVED

• Here's the recipe I use for stuffed cabbage.

Stuffed Cabbage

Serves 6-8

1 head cabbage
    1 pound ground beef
    1 pound ground pork (can just use beef if you want)

1 small to medium onion, chopped small

2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 carrot, shredded

1 celery stalk, thinly sliced or chopped
    1 cup uncooked rice

1 egg
    1 to 2 tablespoons tomato paste
    3 to 4 cups tomato soup (I use the organic cartons, you can also use canned tomato sauce)

Cut the core out of the cabbage but leave it whole. Place it, with the empty core area facing up, in a large bowl. Boil a small pot of water and pour the water over the cabbage and let it sit for ten minutes.

Heat the oil in a large dutch oven. Cook the onions until they are soft, add the garlic, carrot and celery and saute them for a couple extra minutes ? until they are also soft. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, transfer it to a bowl and let it cool a bit. Mix in the meat, rice, egg and tomato paste and season again with salt and pepper.

Drain the head of cabbage. Pull off large leaves, cut out the large vein ? if the leaf is very large, you can make two rolls from each, if it is smaller, you can cut the vein out partially and pull the sides to overlap before you roll it into one roll. Pat the leaves dry with towels. Roll about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of filling in each leaf (depending on the size of your leaf) and arrange in the dutch oven. Pour in enough soup to cover the rolls.

Bring to a boil and reduce the heat, letting them simmer covered on the stove on low, OR bring to boil on stovetop then put in 325 or 350 degree oven for 2 hours.

These also freeze well.

• image sam&val:

You can use the ground beef, potatoes (mashed) & assorted veggies to make what we referred to as Potato House growing up. It's a casserole, that's sort of made like building a house. (Silly name, I know.)

Ground beef, browned - add in whatever veggies you'd like. I typically use onions & green peppers, but the carrots & possibly cabbage would work well. Add some A1 sauce, season salt & garlic salt - or whatever other spices you'd prefer, to taste.

Layer mashed potatoes over meat, and top with cheese. (If you want - not necessary.) Bake till cheese is melted, or until heated through.

Ditto this! We always call this shepherd's pie. One of my favorite winter/fall dishes. Carrots go amazingly well in it. You could also mix up the ingredients as for this, but then stuff in cabbage leaves instead of baking as a casserole, mixing chunks of potato in instead of mashing them.