June 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Academic Organizations?

I'm looking into joining an academic organization, but have no idea as to which one. I graduate next year and I will be looking for a teaching position mid year. Plus there is a chance that we may move out of state shortly after graduating. And I know how important it is to network.  Right now I am a member of SPAGE and SGAE both of these are student memberships of teacher organizations. Last year I was invited to join two other groups through my university based off of my good grades. The reason I'm thinking about this is because one of my professors is the academic advisor for a co-ed fraternity that you must have a high GPA for. Just not sure that I would want to pay so much to be involved in something like that. Sorry for the rambling post. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Re: Academic Organizations?

• Are you talking about Kappa Delta Pi?  I was in it, and I felt it was great to put on my resume.

Since you are already in SPAGE, you could join the NEA with a student membership.  (I did this, and am now a regular NEA member.)

You could join an association based on your major.  I can't remember if you are elementary or secondary ed, but for me in secondary ed, I joined groups based on my majors.  I joined IDEA (international drama, theatre and ed association) and the National Council for History Education.  If you're in elementary, you could join an elementary association or do one based on your key areas of interest, such as an association for literacy.

I think that they're worth the time and money because of how hard it is to get a job in today's market.  They really shine on a resume, IMO. 

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • I am a member of GAE, the Georgia branch of NEA. It's more $ per month out of my check than PAGE, but in the case that you need their back up, GAE has better (and more) benefits. If you join GAE, I'm sure it transfers to other local branches if you move out of state.
  • image TaylorNShannon:
    I am a member of GAE, the Georgia branch of NEA. It's more $ per month out of my check than PAGE, but in the case that you need their back up, GAE has better (and more) benefits. If you join GAE, I'm sure it transfers to other local branches if you move out of state.

Several veteran teachers in my building saidthat NEA isn't worth the extra money. They have used PAGE (one was a science teacher in a lawsuit) for various reasons and PAGE has always done a great job for them.

I'm a member of Phi Kappa Phi.