Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I wanna lift!

I've just started running (couple months) and am up to running 2 miles straight. I'd like to continue running to get better, go further, get faster, etc.  I also want to incorporate a weight lifting program.

I created a little 3 times a week routine (legs one days, back and biceps, chest and tris) and started it last week (Friday before last).  I have not been able to walk straight for the past week (never mind running). 

My question is this:  How do I go about incorporating a weight training program into my routine?  I've always heard "go heavy or go home."  Which is what I did.  It felt great that night, but the next day(s), not so much.  Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,guys.

Re: I wanna lift!

• If you're looking to lose weight as well, try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It will certainly tone things up. I swear by it and I'm sure many other women on this board will too.
  • Well, if you keep at lifting, you won't get as sore each time. Even when you lift hard.

It's hard to mix heavy lifting and running, though. It's okay to lift a bit more moderate weights if running is your priority.

• Thanks, guys.  I think I'll lighten my load on the weights and start over in a couple of weeks. Running is my priority.  I'm looking to loose weight, but I don't want to be flabby and thinner.  I want to be toned and thinner.  So trying to figure out the whole exercise thing.  Diet is the easy part - just don't eat crappy foods. :)
  • image Just Peachy:
    Thanks, guys.  I think I'll lighten my load on the weights and start over in a couple of weeks. Running is my priority.  I'm looking to loose weight, but I don't want to be flabby and thinner.  I want to be toned and thinner.  So trying to figure out the whole exercise thing.  Diet is the easy part - just don't eat crappy foods. :)

I wouldn't wait too long to get back to lifting. You'll only be sore again after your next first workout. 

Christmas 2009 image
  • Also if you are not doing any type of resistance program you will lose muscle mass as you lose weight, so it's very important to do some type of lifting so you won't lose as much muscle mass...but you don't have to go crazy with it..
  • I'm afraid to lift now. I'll get back in there and do lighter weights, I guess.   It's been about 4 years since I lifted weights.  When I went in there I was doing legs (on a non cardio day) and as an example I was doing lunges holding two 7kg dumbbells.  Please just tell me that was way too much and I need ease up on the weights.  I lost a week last time because I too sore.  I don't want to go through that again.  I really want to run and get better and lose weight and look better.

Thanks, guys.

• You shouldn't be so sore after a lifting workout you can't move. You need to lighten up to a point where you're just mildly sore. Sometimes I'm not sore at all the day after, and that's OK too.