Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Buying new house - yard ???

We will be buying a new house anytime between now & the next 6-8 months or so. We are looking in a very small area, which consists of only older homes. The small area is necessitated by the parish where we will send the little boys to school, so we can't live outside of these parish boundaries. Thus there are not a lot of options - plus we are looking near the bottom of the price point for these 3 neighborhoods, narrowing our options even further.

We looked a house in the ideal neighborhood for us, on the best street in the neighborhood, IMO. House = perfect, truly. Nothing about it I don't like, has all of the particulars we need/want in a house (ie. bathroom situation, family room in addition to living, finished basement, etc). I have never seen a house in these old neighborhoods that meets the criteria we are looking for so closely. (for example, we want a 1/2 bath downstairs, 1 bath upstairs for the boys, and another for ourselves. This just is not at all common in these old homes.) It is very recently updated, nicely painted, wood floors throughout in great shape, and the kitchen was recently reno'd with new beautiful cherry cabinets & SS appliances, etc. So the moral of the story is the house is so nice & specifically meets what we want, I think it is highly unlikely we will find another that matches so closely.

Obviously there is a catch, or we would have gone running to the bank. The backyard of this house SUCKS. I mean it is small & narrow, and is landscaped up with an approx. 3 ft tall & 3 ft deep terrace, with a staircase that runs up the middle to the yard. I am going to try to post a picture of this yard.

So my question, after this verrry windy post, is... how much does this bummer of a yard matter? I've got 2 little boys who will grow up there. The front yard is fine, not huge or anything but flat. Also, this house is 1.5 blocks from Memorial Park. Plenty of running around room there, but it's not the same.

Thoughts?  I am obsessing over this [email protected] house, worrying that I am passing up a great opportunity to live in a beautiful neighborhood a few blocks from where my little dudes will go to school. But will I regret the crappy yard, or is it not such a big deal??? Helllllp!

Re: Buying new house - yard ???

• I think the landscaping looks great...yeah it is small but you are close to the park and its not like there is NO room back there.

I say go for it!!! Do you think you will find another house in this small area that is going to meet the majority of your "must haves"?

Good luck!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PP, I say go for it! My perspective is that you never find a house that has everything you want to a tea unless you build and start from scratch and since that isnt a option you have to look at something close. I say if the yard is the other thing holding you back, dont let it. LIke you said, the park is close and looks like you still have alitle running room! GL!
  • That yard looks very nice & easy to maintain.  I don't see that as a huge negative at all. 
  • image marybeth05:

Do you think you will find another house in this small area that is going to meet the majority of your "must haves"?

Not one that I can afford, no. They just didn't build them the same way, the closet/bathroom/overall room layout situation is sometimes kind of odd. But we love old homes, this is just how they are. Except this one ISN'T!

image melgul001:

you never find a house that has everything you want to a tea unless you build and start from scratch and since that isnt a option you have to look at something close.

I think you are absolutely right, you are not going to get everything you want in a house you can afford comfortably. This house has everything we want/need, except for a nice backyard for my boys to play in. I just can't decide if that should be a deal breaker. I think a lot of my hesitation stems from the fact that we are not under any time pressure to move. We can wait & see what continues to pop up... I just don't know if it's going to be as good as this. Arrrgh! Thank you for your replies, though, very helpful!

• just ask yourself -

Is the backyard a deal breaker?

Go with your first answer, dont listen to the "but", "well" or "what if"

• image tiff-n-nick:

just ask yourself -

This is good advice - trust your gut instinct.

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/avfpqc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/6f4j8o.jpg[/IMG]
  • It's not that bad.  It look fairly long.   Honestly, we paid a lot for a lot because we wanted a big backyard.   We aren't outside that much playing in the yard.   She rides her bike on the sidewalk and driveway. 

We bought a swingset.  She plays on it for maybe 15-20 minutes a day.  *if*   We spend a lot more time inside, doing things with friends, etc...

• I'm looking at this really close.   Is that a dog kennel?  That can come out?  Why are there 2 by 4's or whatever under that fence?  Are they concerned about water run off?    Is that mud or what is the dark coloring on top of those wood pieces by the brick?  

Water running by the house, very concerning and would be a deal breaker.  Wet basements are not fun

• image tiff-n-nick:

just ask yourself -

I like this advice. 

We looked at a house recently that was almost perfect, but the kitchen was smaller than what we have now.  A big kitchen is one of my *must haves.*  I struggled for a long time, but in the end, realized I wouldn't be happy with a kitchen that small.

Go with your gut.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it looks nice!! But for us...the back yard was what motivated us to move on our current house, it's in an older neighborhood too and was very updated but a little more then what we wanted to pay every month. But the big yard is just something we were looking for so we sacrifice a bit more money for these little boogers!! We have 2 young kids who just wanna run and play and while they can do all that in our front yard and we don't have a lot of traffic it just gives me peace of mind they can play in a fenced yard. Like PP though, if you are that close to Memorial Park they can run and have even more room there. And if you take out a good 6 months for winter in Nebraska =) you can only enjoy it for half the year!!

Weigh the pros and cons for sure, GL with your choice!!

• Jump on it.  If the interior of the home is what you're looking for, you can change or make due with what's on the outside. =)  I love that area of town.
  • image smiles4ya:

I'm looking at this really close.   Is that a dog kennel?  That can come out?  Why are there 2 by 4's or whatever under that fence?  Are they concerned about water run off?    Is that mud or what is the dark coloring on top of those wood pieces by the brick?  

Water running by the house, very concerning and would be a deal breaker.  Wet basements are not fun

We have a setup kinda like this but we have drains on the brick path to keep the water from the house. Our brick path is like 10 feet from the house and we dont have any water from there that comes to the house, it comes from our patio. This might not be the case with this house in the OP, but could be!

• For us, the yard is a deal breaker.  I love our house now, but we plan on moving in the next 5 years because of the yard.  The land is the one thing we can't change.  We can remodel, add rooms, change paint colors, but the yard will never get bigger.  

Our situation is different, the next house will start with the yard, not with a school or district, as in your case.