Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

He didn't qualify. :(

His comprehension/receptive speech falls within the normal range (albeit, on the lower end).  While this is great, they average the receptive speech score with the expressive speech score.  He's been determined to be delayed (and quite significantly with the expressive speech), but he's not two full standard deviations below the norm (he's like 1.5 or 1.75), so he doesn't qualify for services.

I did ask for some ideas on how to work with him on our own.  She encouraged using signs and would like us to read books with him.  The latter should be interesting since he acts like he's being abused when we try to look at books (and we've tried ev.er.y.thing. -- doing it at bedtime with a bottle...he'll refuse the bottle.  Letting him pick the book out at the store.  Choosing books with flaps or textures.  He won't have any of it.  Even the speech pathologist was surprised at the intensity of his book aversion!)

She'll check in with us monthly and did agree to re-review him a bit early, prior to the baby coming.  Hopefully we'll see major improvement before then, but it's nice to know they don't just test them once and then write them off.

Thanks for listening to me through all this.

Re: He didn't qualify. :(

• How does he react to computers? Perhaps you could go to a site/get some software for kids his age and view it that way. I know Alissa has plenty of books she uses on the computer. Or maybe the Tag system? The distraction of the pen might help.

My BFs DD went in for testing and didn't qualify. They gave her some ways to work on it, and she has improved ten fold.

photos by jennied photography

Alissa Jean

• Ugh, that's a disappointment that he can't yet receive the services - I'm sorry Jess.  He's a smart cookie, I bet he'll impress the hell out of them at he next review.
    Blythe, born 6/5/10, and Oscar the dog (not pictured), adopted 11/16/07
  • image shannie21:

www.starfall.com

He might like that.

Starfall is awesome. They use this in the PLV school district.

photos by jennied photography

Alissa Jean

• My question is, how do you feel about what they said?  Do you agree or disagree?

Having been through this with two kiddos and having one qualify with no question and then being told another one didn't because he didn't show enough need based on his speech (which was not the issue to begin with), I can tell you that if you don't agree with what they said about him not showing a need, if in your gut you feel he should have quailfied and needs this, then you can go over their heads about it.  I had to.

I ended up asking for Christian to be evaluated by the School Psychologist because she could put him in the program if she felt he needed to be there regardless of what the SpechPath or ECE teacher said.  You may want to look into this.  Christian's situation was different because he had no speech issues, but was diagnoised ADHD and was behind all the kids in his class on comprehension, to the point where his teacher refused to let me put him into a preK class at age 4 when we was going to start K the next year...not good.

Our situation with Noah was very similar to yours and we were asked by our Pedi to contact MPS because at 15 months Noah couldn't say at least 20 words.  At 18 months I think its supposed to be 50 or more plus be able to use two word sentences and say their own name and by 2 yrs old, 350 words...  He could only say maybe four or five words at 18 months.  I know not all kids are a like, but I just want you to know that if you do not feel comfortable with what they had to say, then you have the right to look into it more.

What does your Pedi have to say about all this?  Do you think he'd be fine with their decision not to qualify him?  Because he could contact them as well.  Dr Kaufman did for Christian.  He sent them a letter with all of his concerns and Christians diagnoisis to proof he had a need for the program.  And he would have done the same for Noah as well if he needed to because he felt very strongly that he needed the 'help'.

• image shannie21:

My question is, how do you feel about what they said?  Do you agree or disagree?

Having been through this with two kiddos and having one qualify with no question and then being told another one didn't because he didn't show enough need based on his speech (which was not the issue to begin with), I can tell you that if you don't agree with what they said about him not showing a need, if in your gut you feel he should have quailfied and needs this, then you can go over their heads about it.  I had to.

I ended up asking for Christian to be evaluated by the School Psychologist because she could put him in the program if she felt he needed to be there regardless of what the SpechPath or ECE teacher said.  You may want to look into this.  Christian's situation was different because he had no speech issues, but was diagnoised ADHD and was behind all the kids in his class on comprehension, to the point where his teacher refused to let me put him into a preK class at age 4 when we was going to start K the next year...not good.

Our situation with Noah was very similar to yours and we were asked by our Pedi to contact MPS because at 15 months Noah couldn't say at least 20 words.  At 18 months I think its supposed to be 50 or more plus be able to use two word sentences and say their own name and by 2 yrs old, 350 words...  He could only say maybe four or five words at 18 months.  I know not all kids are a like, but I just want you to know that if you do not feel comfortable with what they had to say, then you have the right to look into it more.

What does your Pedi have to say about all this?  Do you think he'd be fine with their decision not to qualify him?  Because he could contact them as well.  Dr Kaufman did for Christian.  He sent them a letter with all of his concerns and Christians diagnoisis to proof he had a need for the program.  And he would have done the same for Noah as well if he needed to because he felt very strongly that he needed the 'help'.

Thanks, Shannie. 

AJ's pedi did initially contact the school system because he was rather concerned.  We've been thinking about taking AJ for a second 18 month well visit to another pedi just for a second opinion since we got about nothing out of Dr. K at his last visit.

I've been concerned about his speech for awhile.  At 12 months, he wasn't babbling and had zero words or signs.  He'd never even said "mama" or "dada" (and still hasn't).  I mentioned it at his appointment and was dismissed (per usual with our pedi.  I have to overly advocate for every.little.thing.)  At 15 months, still no words or babbling.  Just grunts.  Pedi told me not to freak out -- that the second child was a lot different than the first.  At 18 months, he had one word ("ball") and one sign (he used to have three signs, but dropped two).  He's never tried to parrot anything we say, despite our best efforts. 

I honestly wouldn't care if he were "just quiet" or whatever.  The problem is that he's SO frustrated because he knows what he wants, but can't communicate it.  Not only does it break my heart, but it's frustrating for us, too.

I'm willing to wait a couple more months and use their suggestions and see if there's an improvement.  But I'll definitely go over their heads if I feel there's a need.  He's edging up on 20 months and the speech path said there should be a big improvement by two (she said a lot of times boys are just later to talk).  So, if around his 2nd birthday he's still not talking, I'll begin my freak-out/mama bear mode.  And, like I said, we've been tossing around just going to see a new pedi for a second well-visit so we can have more input on his overall development, food allergies, temperment, etc so perhaps we'll get more suggestions from that.

• I'm sorry.  Keep advocating for him.   He is good he has a good mommy that is going to help him. 
  • njh514njh514 member
    Keep on it! Owen didn't qualify the first time either but failed miserably the second time. The first time he was 2 1/2. The second time he was nearly three. Apparently once they hit three they start really paying attention. Keep doing what you can and eventually he'll qualify. Do you have any other concerns that a child behaviorist through the public school might be able to help with? It might be another way to take. I dunno. Just throwing out ideas because I know you (both parents and AJ) want help.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image smiles4ya:
    I'm sorry.  Keep advocating for him.   He is good he has a good mommy that is going to help him. 

This. You're doing great Jess! Hang in there!

Tied the knot: 6.19.04 Mommy to 3 awesome kids: Maren 3/06, Tommy 12/07 amd Kolbe 8/09