Atlanta Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Finances Poll

How do you and your H/FI/SO have your finances set up (or want them set up)?[Poll]

Re: Finances Poll

• i voted "joint all the way" but i do have a savings account...it's mostly just sitting there, chilling and getting some interest.
  • I voted joint all the way, but we each have IRA's that we had set up prior to marrying. When they mature we are going to combine them, though. 
  • We're "joint all the way" in that all spending is "ours", as are all debts.

He makes sure his car and SLs and 1CC are paid (the things in just his name), I make sure my car, SL and 2CC (will be ONNNNNNNE next month <---- still the Debt Ninja!) and "our" bills are paid; AT&T, SF, rent, etc.

I keep track of a monthly excel sheet and check off once the bill clears the checking account and I keep track of how much extra we have to pay down debt so I do the "forecasting".

He keps an eye on Mint.com for all the spending categories so we don't go bananas on clothing or dining out or whatnot.

Meet Beyonce Jr.

Call me Kat =^..^= Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I voted other.  We both have individual checking accounts, a joint checking, and a joint savings.  When we get paid we move all of our money to joint checking except for our "fun" money which stays in our own accounts.   I have a savings account from before we were married that's just hanging out and he has a stock account that isn't invested in anything right now from before we were married.  Those accounts are ours to with what we please. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm different. We have 2 accounts, my before marriage account ("BM" which has my married name) and a joint. We use my BM account to pay bills b/c I have a checkbook (and a remaining box full of checks that are barely used for anything other than rent, $$ to friends, tithe, ect.) and bills are paid online. We also use my account for our large house savings account. The Joint is mostly for our fun money and groceries.
  • Out accounts are all together with the exception of investments my family set up for me years ago. These are actually still in my Maiden name. We don't have any debt besides the house. Special shout-out to our parents for fully funding our college educations.
    "HOW many US citizens and ranchers have been decapitated in Arizona by roving bands of paperless aliens, and how will a requirement that I have papers on me make that not happen?"courtesy of SueSue
  • I voted joint with "fun" money budget, but it's really joint + individual accounts that get an "allowance" via direct deposit. I handle everything except his checking and investments.
  • We deposit our salaries into a joint account and that's the only joint bank account we have and we pretty much use it for everything.  We really haven't touched our other accounts since we married.

• Wow. I can't believe how many people are "joint all the way!" It surprises me because a lot of recently married and young couples have come in to complain they can't balance their check books like that and need advice on how to do it. When DH and I moved in together years ago we set up an account and honestly never used it because it was too much of a hassle to have to balance back and forth. So we divided up the bills - He pays the mortgage and I pay everything else. Also, I'm more of the responsible one when it comes to getting things out on time, so it works out for us. As far as savings, that is joint and any big decisions we have to make about purchases we discuss before doing so... But there's no way we could run our checkings out of the same account.
  • We have everything joint.  DH also takes care of all the bills.  Both of our paychecks go into the same account.  We typically grocery shop together (thats something else that we enjoy doing together, weird...I know) and for anything else throughout the week he just gives me a guideline for what needs to go out to what bills so I know what we have for spending money.  I'm TERRIBLE with money so DH handling our finances was pretty much the only way to go.  We're both very satisfied with this set up.
  • I would have said completely separate, but our checking accounts are linked so we can instantly transfer money between them if we need to. Everything else is completely separate.
  • I put other but we are about 90% joint. I still have my car and our car insurance out of my old acct. We plan to transfer the insurance to our joint acct. when my car is paid off in a couple of months. Then we will be 100% joint.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image joelizabeth23:
    We typically grocery shop together (thats something else that we enjoy doing together..................  I'm TERRIBLE with money so DH handling our finances was pretty much the only way to go.  We're both very satisfied with this set up.

He grocery shops??? How did you accompllish this?

Oh yes the finances handling. My DH is a Finance Manager so about 4 years ago he made up a spreadsheet with amounts and dates. This is how I pay the bills , he hasn't looked at our bank balance in a long long time. I tell him when we have too much in our checking so I need to transfer, how did I get this job Hmm I have been bamboozled. 

"HOW many US citizens and ranchers have been decapitated in Arizona by roving bands of paperless aliens, and how will a requirement that I have papers on me make that not happen?"courtesy of SueSue
  • image MeredithE:

image joelizabeth23:
    We typically grocery shop together (thats something else that we enjoy doing together..................  I'm TERRIBLE with money so DH handling our finances was pretty much the only way to go.  We're both very satisfied with this set up.

H and I grocery shop together too, it's part of our Saturday ritual. We get coffee, play with puppies (the animal shelter sets up outside of the grocery store) and then we grocery shop.  

• image musgral8:
    image MeredithE:

image joelizabeth23:

H and I grocery shop together too, it's part of our Saturday ritual. We get coffee, play with puppies (the animal shelter sets up outside of the grocery store) and then we grocery shop.  

::strolls by:: MH does 90% of the grocery shopping, alone. Mainly b/c he prefers to do most of the cooking. So as long as I have a few choice items or say in what's being purchased, I leave it to him. ::strolls away whisteling::
  • We are separate but with a joint household account. I think we'd be in a better place financially if we were totally joint though so I'm thinking about trying to convince DH to switch.
  • I put other.

We have 1 joint checking and savings. I have 1 individual account. Both paychecks go into the joint account and I transfer money to the individual account to pay bills. So whatever is left over in joint is fun money so I don't have to worry about waiting for checks/automatic debits to clear.

• image musgral8:
    image MeredithE:

image joelizabeth23:

My H and I grocery shop together every Sunday, too. I HATE pushing the cart and he loves it, so it works out well. ::LAME ALERT:: We like spending time together at the grocery store for what ever reason. We have a good system and I like to throw the items at him if no one is in the aisle. Yes, the grocery store brings out my inner 8 year old.

• image mrsmozzarella:
    image musgral8:
    image MeredithE:

image joelizabeth23:

My H and I grocery shop together every Sunday, too. I HATE pushing the cart and he loves it, so it works out well. ::LAME ALERT:: We like spending time together at the grocery store for what ever reason. We have a good system and I like to throw the items at him if no one is in the aisle. Yes, the grocery store brings out my inner 8 year old.

I love you even more!