Atlanta Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

can I whine for a minute?!

I'm sure you all have heard me talk about my stomach issues before. Here is a little continuation on the saga. 

To put it all in a nutshell, I have never felt good. Apparently as a baby I was extremely cranky and always had rashes - we definitely should have known something was up. When I was in grade school I came home every day with a headache, so my parents finally had me tested for allergies and they told me I was allergic to corn and tomatoes. Instantly changed my diet and have been avoiding products containing corn (and any derrivatives) and tomatoes for 13 years. A few years later I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Well, 2 years ago after still not ever feeling healthy, I went to a nutritionist, who had me quit eating gluten. I felt better but was still having stomach problems. Not so bad that I couldn't live with them, so I always just assumed that this was the best it was going to get. My mom convinced me to go to a new doctor here in Athens while she was down this summer and get re-tested for food allergies since the tests have come a long way in 15 years. I got my results back yesterday, and not only am I NOT allergic to corn or tomatoes (although I am still gluten intolerant - it's not celiac at least), but I have a severe allergy to eggs and chicken. Apparently this is what has been making my stomach so upset my entire life. I eat 2 eggs for breakfast EVERY morning. Even cross contamination is bad for me - which means my husband also has to give up chicken and eggs.  I go back to the doc's on Monday for nutrition counseling, and I'm trying very hard to look on the bright side, that I can eat stuff that I haven't for so many years, but I can't help but be severely bummed.

/pity party.

Re: can I whine for a minute?!

• that really sucks! but at least you have found what has been making you so sick for so long. just think of how much better you will feel and i am pretty sure that you won't miss eggs or chicken in a couple of months!
  • A bright side... when cooking/baking there is an egg substitute that MIL uses (she's allergic to eggs as well) and it works great, so when you cook/bake your GF foods, you can still use the egg substitute to keep the texture!

Food allergies stink, but now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.

GI Joe! Wink

• Oh man, that's tough! At least now you know what's been making you so sick. I don't know what I'd eat if I couldn't have chicken, wow!
  • That does suck! When I was a teen I had bad stomach issues and it took a long time to figure out I was lactose intolerant. At least you have it figured now so you can eliminate them from your diet. Gool luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah I'm glad that I know now and won't keep making myself sick, I just wanted to be whiny and self-indulgent for a minute :) Thanks guys! I'll have to look into that egg replacer.
  • :'( I'm so sorry!  That really sucks!  You can whine as much as you need to anytime!!
  • image musgral8:
    Yeah I'm glad that I know now and won't keep making myself sick, I just wanted to be whiny and self-indulgent for a minute :) Thanks guys! I'll have to look into that egg replacer.
    I'll call MIL and get the name of the stuff and where she buys it. Give me a few minutes and I'll let you know.

Edit:

Talked with MIL- she'll get back with me on the name of the stuff. It's a yellow box found in the health food area of Kroger, or at Whole Foods. She's not sure it's at Trader Joe's though. She said that it's not cheap, but it lasts for a very very long time (like years). She keeps hers vacuum sealed and only keeps about a cup at a time in a seperate container for use to keep it as fresh as possible. 1 tsp. (with the specified water) is equivelant to 1 egg. She mentioned that the box also has recipies on it for quiches and such but the substitute does not taste like egg and you'd want to have it mixed with flavorful items to not notice the non-eggy taste.

• image Ms_Shell:
    image musgral8:
    Yeah I'm glad that I know now and won't keep making myself sick, I just wanted to be whiny and self-indulgent for a minute :) Thanks guys! I'll have to look into that egg replacer.
    I'll call MIL and get the name of the stuff and where she buys it. Give me a few minutes and I'll let you know.

Excellent! you're awesome! 

• that sucks that you're allergic, but at least now you know!! plus, steak is awesome =)
  • Honestly, I am super happy for you! You finally know what is causing your pain pretty much your whole life, and now you can really start finally feeling good. That's awesome!! Plus, now you can eat corn and tomatoes again! Smile

[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/23vnxaq.jpg[/img]

[URL=http://www.thebabycorner.com/countdowns/][IMG]http://thebabycorner.com/countdowns/image.php?type=2&o=10&c=5&date=2012-9-18&babyname=Brynn%20Elise[/IMG][/URL]
  • image musgral8:

image Ms_Shell:
    image musgral8:

Excellent! you're awesome! 

See my edit! Smile

• image JulesDiane:

Honestly, I am super happy for you! You finally know what is causing your pain pretty much your whole life, and now you can really start finally feeling good. That's awesome!! Plus, now you can eat corn and tomatoes again! Smile

DH and I are going out for mexican tonight! Steak fajitas here I come! 

• That sucks, but at least you have some answers!!
  • Think about how much better your stomach would feel once you stop eating chicken and eggs!! It's not that bad. Who needs chicken and eggs! when you can have Tomatoes and Corn!! :)
  • IT just dawned on me (I'm slow, I know). You're basically just giving up on all Chicken products- b/c it's chicken/hen eggs, right? Wink

I wonder if chicken boullion cubes are included with this "chicken product" stuff? hmmm

• yeppers. no chicken bouillion for me, or chicken stock. WTF kind of a weird allergy is this lol. 
  • Oh, and the egg substitute stuff is called EnerG- egg replacement. It comes in a 1 lb box (I think the sides are yellow for what my MIL told me earlier).

Egg Replacer - 16 oz,(Ener-g Foods Gluten Free)

I looked it up. The cost isn't as expensive as I thought it would be (at least from the website below).

http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?section=8&cat=8&id=97

Looks like you can purchase it here:

EARTH FARE
    1689 S. LUMPKIN ST.
    ATHENS, Georgia 30606
    (706) 227-1717
    BREAD, RICE MIX, EGG REPLACER, RICE BRAN, FLOUR

• You can use vegetable stock for chicken stock and bullion. I love the stuff! We use it in a lot of recipes. You can get it at Publix or Kroger.