Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

f/u diaper post

We plan to use Pampers Swaddlers bc we got a helluva deal on the first year of those suckers. 

Could you please let me know what you use (or suggest staying away from) for wipes, diaper cream, body wash etc etc.  I need to get little man's bathroom supplied this weekend.  Any other recs are great too....such as stuff for me (bf-related creams, supplies, etc).  Thanks ladies, you rock.

Re: f/u diaper post

• Well, what worked for us was Aquaphor butt cream, and I always liked the smell of burts bees babybee wash - it smells like a cabbage patch doll, and you just wash them all over iwth it = its shampoo/body wash.

Hmm, what else - I can tell you whats still sitting in the cabinet after a year and was useless to us- teething tablets, baby orajel, gripe water, baby bliss gripe water, beaudreuxs butt paste, a&d, desitin, Johnsons baby lotion, johnsons baby shampoo....

I LOVE target wipes - they are more cloth like than the others. and they are cheap - their diapers are also awesome too.

Get lots of diaper genie refills if thats what you r using

I never had to use bewbie cream - I pumped like a mofo and bf, and have wonder nips - just not wonder bewbies. Never had an issue there, but these little pads that are gel like you can put in your bra - yah, those were nice, especially cold - cant remember the name, but they are reusable.

• Evan does really well with Aveeno baby products...wash and lotion.  My mom used to use J&J wash and lotion on him a few times and it dried him out.  Huggies Pure and Natural also did not work.  I really like Boudreax's Butt Paste for diaper rash.  Aquaphor is also really good to have on hand.  When I buy disposable wipes I always buy the ones that are alcohol and fragrance free....basically the most sensitive-skin friendly ones.

I think the Lansinoh nipple cream is amazing!  Medela makes one too but I think Lansinoh is thicker and covers better.  I'm not sure if you have decided whether you'll use disposable or reusable nursing pads but I really like the Gerber ones. 

• The only thing that we really stayed away from was Johnson's products (well, or any of the store brands like that) they seem to be a little more harsh on their skin. We used Aveno Baby and California Baby skin care/bath products for the first year or so.
  • Aveeno products are great, especially since they are not perfumed.  We love the wipes at Sam's, their brand.  They are super durable yet soft.  I like Boudreax's butt cream when we used regular diapers, I would also stock up some gas drops (Mylicon) and Tylenol.
  • Baby Wash: I love how Baby Magic smells... if you prefer to do J&J, the Target brand is about 1/4 of the cost and works/smells pretty much exactly the same. I hated the Burt's Bees wash & bar soap... it was filmy and didn't bubble up at all. I got those as a gift from someone so I'm not sure if they were the "real" thing or just what Target sells (which I heard isn't as good of quality as the real thing)

Wipes: Wasn't really partial to anything until now... with the poops C has recently... the Pampers Thick Care works the best. I tend to buy whatever the best deal is on Diapers.com when i order diapers every month or so.

Diaper Creme: Aquaphor and Burt's Bees Skin Creme

BF Creme: Lanolin (my mom also suggested that this is really good to use on a baby's face if they get chapped in the early months). I honestly got enough samples of this in the hospital that I didn't need to buy any of it myself and I nursed/pumped for 6 months. So I wouldn't go too crazy on buying it until you need to.

Married the love of my life 6/3/06
    Became a family of three 8/25/09
  • We used (and still use for spills and such when out) Target wipes.  Cheap and seemed to work better than Huggies or Pampers brand.

We tried Buttpaste brand, but it didn't seem to work as well as A&D. 

We use Johnson&Johnson for both lotion and body wash except on her face we use Aveeno lotion.  We bought a small bottle of the nighttime wash, didn't really see a differance between that and the regular wash.

Hyland teething tablets worked good for us once teething starts (3-4m old).  Do you have any pain reliever- I can't remember when babies can start taking pain med for low grade fevers?  Small first aid kit for the diaper bag (check Target's travel aisle). 

• We love the Aveeno products and still use them for Owen.

Lansinoh for nipple cream and also great for nursing pads. The gel pads Tiff mentioned are called Soothies. I recommend buying them at Walgreens vs. getting them in the hospital. They are the EXACT same brand but walgreens are around 12 bucks and the hospital charged $40 (for some reason the way this was coded it was the ONLY thing insurance didn't cover on our bill so that's how i know). You get 2 in a pack and yes, you can take them off, put them back on the paper they came on and throw them in the fridge to cool. Ahhhh, those things are great!

I used pampers wipes forever and then started getting into the target brand. huggies are good to because they are thick. Really, whatever i had a coupon for/cheapest at the time. This time though, I made my own cloth ones since we are CD'ing.

Mylicon drops

Tylenol

Motrin

Bordeaux's Butt Paste- BF babies don't tend to get diaper rash so we really didn't start using this until owen was closer to 2 y.o.

Holly
  • See, I knew you ladies would come through for me.  Thanks!! 

Confession: I'm totally paranoid about my bewbies being sore/cracked and then not being able to BF/pump. Tongue Tied

• image cubluebride:

See, I knew you ladies would come through for me.  Thanks!! 

Confession: I'm totally paranoid about my bewbies being sore/cracked and then not being able to BF/pump. Tongue Tied

Start using lanolin from day one.  I never had a cracked nip and I pumped exclusively for 8.5 months. 

• image *kms*:
    image cubluebride:

See, I knew you ladies would come through for me.  Thanks!! 

Start using lanolin from day one.  I never had a cracked nip and I pumped exclusively for 8.5 months. 

One of my girlfriends told me to take a tube with me to the hospital, and I've actually heard that I should start using it before the baby arrives.  What do you think?? Couldn't hurt, right? Our class tonight is all about BF, so maybe I'll get some good tips there. I'm such a nerd, I've been looking forward to this class the most (even more than the hospital tour).