June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone here had appendicitis?

Has anyone here had appendicitis?  I?m trying to figure out if I possibly have it. I figure I?d be in more pain that I am right now. Anyways, Saturday afternoon, my whole stomach hurt (not like a stomach ache, just abdominal pain). It got pretty bad to the point I was doubling over. It eventually moved to just one spot?where the appendix is. It was tender to the touch and sleeping was difficult. Since then, the pain has subsided to a level I call just discomfort. Every now and then, I get a shot of pain in that spot.  I?m guessing it?s either mild food poisoning or appendicitis. I have no other symptoms of either. So, if you?ve had appendicitis, where you in significant pain until you had it out? Did it ebb and flow? Did it start small and build?
We have so much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.
My Bio (wedding pics added 7/6)
My 101
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone here had appendicitis?

• I haven't but my brother did in college.  He ignored it for 4-6 hours or so but then went to student health and he was running a fever and having crazy bad pain, like he couldn't walk.  They sent him to the emergency room and they did an emergency appendectomy. 

If you even think its appendicitis - I would get it checked, if it ruptures the surgery and complications are a lot worse.

• I've had absolutely no fever, or nausea, or anything else besides localized pain/discomfort, hence my hesitation.
    My 101
  • I had appendicitis a few years ago. It started out like that, but the pain kept getting worse over night. I ended up throwing up a couple times and sleeping in a ball on the bathroom floor because I thought I just had food poisoning. By morning time I was so sick I couldn't hardly move. I ended up going to the ER and having my appendix removed a few hours later. I would say if yours subsided it was probably just food poisoning or something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.12
    <a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/chaleybeth06/?action=view
  • I had it over Spring Break in '07... totally killed my vacation plans. I had no nausea (but no appetite either), just consistent pain that worsened over the course of 2-3 days til I couldn't stand it anymore. I did run a low grade fever a few hours before they removed my appendix. I was kinda stubborn and went to an urgent care doc first who said she thought it was appendicitis and told me to just go on to the ER. Mine was caught very early - my appendix was only starting to become inflamed but the surrounding lymph nodes were very inflamed.

The surgery was not that bad. Since it was caught early, they did it all laparascopically. The recovery was relatively easy and I have almost no visible scarring. If you wait and it bursts, they have to actually open you up which is a lot harder to recover from. 

• Thanks all. A nurse on my local convinced me to head to urgent care when I get home this evening. I doubt it's the appendix, but sounds like better safe than sorry. Plus, I have a tattoo at the incision location I'd like to preserve! Embarrassed
    My 101
  • All clear! CBC and UA came back completely normal. Doc's best guess was a spasm that could have been caused by something I ate, but not actually food poisoning. So no surgery. Yay!
    My 101
  • I haven't had it, but I've had several things I thought may have been.  Apparently one of the key signs in "rebound pain" - so when you press in the pain isn't bad, but then it becomes excruciating upon release of the pressure.

Nonetheless, appendicitis isn't something to play around with.  An ex boyfriend of mine had his rupture after his parents didn't take him to the ER when he started having pain.  The doctors said if they had waited any longer he would have died.  

Moral of the story: When in doubt, have it checked out!

• Haha score at being able to save your tattoo. My dad had it when my mother was pregnant with me. Being the bad ass (moron?) my father is he didn't go to the doc's for like a week. My mother woke up in the middle of the night to find my dad lifeless and jaundice, called 911 and he was rushed to the ER. His appendix had ruptured a day or 2 before and the toxins were all over his body. The doc said if my mother had not woken up and found him, he would have been dead in the morning.

He had to get his stomach pumped every hour for something like 10 hours. My dad has had some paintful stuff happen to him and he said the worst feeling he's ever had to endure was getting his stomach pumped while completely conscious.

[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2cr63p5.jpg[/img]