Fashion & Beauty
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

If you polish your nails, how often do you let them "breathe"?

I don't want to stain my nails and even though I use a basecoat, I'm scared they will stain.  How many days do you let your nails go without polish?

Re: If you polish your nails, how often do you let them "breathe"?

• I only polish my toenails, but I never go w/o polish. If I'm always repainting, who cares if they stain?
  • I don't really care about my toenails.  I just don't want to stain my fingernails.

• With my fingernails I usually take polish off and go maybe 1-2 days without anything, then manicure them again. I haven't ever really had problems with my fingernails staining--more with my toes, but thats because I always have a color on my toes--never bare.
  • I guess I'm just not sure why it matters if you are repainting them anyway. Do you mean stained by polish or yellowed? I assumed yellowed. I can see not wanting them stained red if you are repainting in pink, for example.
  • Usually a couple of days for my nails. If I don't have color on them, I usually use a strengthening complex and harder. For my toes, in the summer, I always have them polished. I figure they can breathe in the winter.
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not worried about yellowing or staining.  I use Orly Bonder as a base coat and even though I use dark colors, they don't stain.  I don't give my fingers or toes any time off to "breathe" because if I'm just going to put another dark color on top, it seems kinda pointless.  If you were doing clear colors, they would need a break to prevent yellowing, for dark ones, not so much.
  • maybe an hour...ever? I never am without painted toes and nails.
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • image veronabrit:
    maybe an hour...ever? I never am without painted toes and nails.

This.

I use all reds and pinks, no light colors, and I don't have a yellowing problem. I always use a base coat. 

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/160u695.jpg[/IMG]
  • image mcmahaee:

image veronabrit:
    maybe an hour...ever? I never am without painted toes and nails.

This.

I use all reds and pinks, no light colors, and I don't have a yellowing problem. I always use a base coat. 

Ditto on both.  I've never had a problem with staining or yellowing.  I always have painted nails.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have dark polish (with base coat) on my toenails the majority of the time and they have never stained.  Nails don't "breathe" so I don't give them any time in between.  You should be fine if you use a good base coat.
  • I maybe go a day at most in between painting mine, normally I take off and then repaint on a Sunday so only a few hours or breathing time.  And I never wear a base coat.  My nails still aren't yellow. 
    imageimageimage
  • I also do not wear a base coat.

I always heard that yellowing was caused by lack of exposure to oxygen, but I don't think a base coat would have any effect on that. A base coat would help keep them from staining the color of your polish, but letting them "breathe" between applications wouldn't make a difference.

I'm still not sure which we are talking about here.

• I know nails don't breathe.  I just didn't know if keeping nails constantly polished would yellow nails, even if a basecoat is used.
  • I used to not wear a basecoat when painting my toenails until my adventures last summer with an awesome spring green color!  The green had a bit of yellow tint and it stained my nails! I will now be using a basecoat the next time I polish my tootsies!  It's not very often my toes have polish the last year because I've been trying to get rid of the yellow (blech!)  

I don't polish my finger nails as they don't hold polish.  I can polish at home or in a salon, and within two hours it is already lifting and looks horrible!