Cincinnati Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

HELP RACCOON!!!

We have a raccoon in our attic!  Have any of you had a similar situation?  Any recs on critter removal company's? Or what to do?

Re: HELP RACCOON!!!

• OMG that is crazy!!  I would def let someone else handle that.  They can get really aggressive and mean if they are cornered.  I did a quick google search and came up with this company:

http://www.crittercontrol.com/

They are local it looks like.  GL!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I have never had this happen but one of my good friends works/owns a pest control company. The name is Abes Pest Control and the number is 859- 746-2237.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh this is the worst. We had one in our chimney years ago. We now have a chimney cap on our fireplace.  That thing tore off roof shingles & everything.  We called a pest control company. We are in Dayton though so I am not much help. It can be very expensive though. They were going to charge per raccoon. I guess sometimes mothers go into those places to have their babies. We were lucky that when the trapper came the raccoon was gone. Not fun! Good luck.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Ugh yes we had one in our walls and floors at a condo we were renting!  That thing would be walking around and scratching all night.  It totally creeped me out!

Call somebody to handle it because you don't want to deal with it yourself.  They'll come out and place a trap then come back and check on it/remove the racoon once it's caught.  Sadly, they usually have to put the animal down once caught :(

We used Tom at Select Pest Control 859-525-6515.  I think it cost almost $200 but it came out of the HOA budget since it was actually in the crawlspace beneath all the units.  Not cheap but gotta do what you gotta do...fortunately there was only one in our floors.

• Thanks for the recs.  We did look at critter control online, though my Dad ended up talking to an engineer at his work that used to do some side work through a critter/animal company.  He actually has some traps he is going to let us borrow and my Dad is going to set them up tonight.  He said we can just open the door set it in the attic and it should catch it.  We'll see if this works if not we'll call the companies you all recommended.  I was freaked out all night.  I hope he is gone soon and hope it's only one!
  • Good luck with the traps. We have used them before at my parents house (Have a heart kind) so it doesn't kill them. The problem was transporting them somewhere after we caught them. We didn't want to let them go right outside our house so they wouldn't come back in.  Might want to think about that too.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My Dads engineer has been so nice. he said is we catch it he would come out with his truck and take it out to where he lives....which I believe is on a farm and let it go or drown it.
  • image Mrs42509:
    My Dads engineer has been so nice. he said is we catch it he would come out with his truck and take it out to where he lives....which I believe is on a farm and let it go or drown it.

Ummm...is it just me or does drowning sound like a terrible and inhumane death? :(  If you must put it down please do so humanely.  And please please make sure there's no babies up there or if you trap the mother they'll starve to death...so sad. 

Oh, and I thought I read somewhere that it's actually illegal to trap racoons yourself in most states?  Not sure if Ohio is one of them but something to consider.

ETA: It is indeed illegal to trap and release raccoons in Ohio.  State law says they should be euthanized.  See "Is it legal for me to trap wild animals" (Question 4) at http://www.cincynature.org/springfaqs.html

• Alpha One Pest Control has a SuperTuesday Coupon today for $7 for a $75 gift certificate: http://halfpricecincy.mediawebconnect.com/Alpha-1-Pest-Control/23870
  • image Christine.Louie:

image Mrs42509:
    My Dads engineer has been so nice. he said is we catch it he would come out with his truck and take it out to where he lives....which I believe is on a farm and let it go or drown it.

Ummm...is it just me or does drowning sound like a terrible and inhumane death? :(  If you must put it down please do so humanely.  And please please make sure there's no babies up there or if you trap the mother they'll starve to death...so sad. 

Oh, and I thought I read somewhere that it's actually illegal to trap racoons yourself in most states?  Not sure if Ohio is one of them but something to consider.

ETA: It is indeed illegal to trap and release raccoons in Ohio.  State law says they should be euthanized.  See "Is it legal for me to trap wild animals" (Question 4) at http://www.cincynature.org/springfaqs.html

Yikes!  I just called and set up an appointment for someone to come out this afternoon.  Thanks!