Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Sort of awkward..but sort of funny

Sooo, there isn't a lot going on here today, so I thought I'd share some of my life.

My oldest brother is getting married tomorrow. Love him to death, his FI is great, they are so happy together, and I am happy for them.

A few weeks ago, they asked me to be their officiant (haha!). I was supposed to be a bridesmaid...but their officiant couldn't do it at the last minute, and so they asked me. I've done one other wedding before (for two close friends) so it's not a big deal or a shocker, it's just that it's my BROTHER and I have no clue what to say in my sermon. (I don't want it to sound like a toast or an ode to my big brother, but I dont' want to sound like a priest either. I have a 3 hour car ride to figure it out).

On top of that, they are kind of..scatterbrained. They're not stupid, they're actually both incredibly smart, but sometimes lacking in the organization and common sense category. We're a little worried about whether or not they have remembered things that they'll need to do.  I called him a few hours ago to make sure they had a marriage license for me to sign..my mom was like "yeah..we're going to the courthouse to get one right now"

It's going to be an interesting weekend.

Re: Sort of awkward..but sort of funny

• image spiffyabigail:

A few weeks ago, they asked me to be their officiant (haha!). I was supposed to be a bridesmaid...but their officiant couldn't do it at the last minute, and so they asked me. I've done one other wedding before (for two close friends) so it's not a big deal or a shocker, it's just that it's my BROTHER and I have no clue what to say in my sermon. (I don't want it to sound like a toast or an ode to my big brother, but I dont' want to sound like a priest either. I have a 3 hour car ride to figure it out).

LoL, my brother's an ordained minister.... but I didn't want him marrying me.  ... as in ... "performing my marriage..." not literally marrying me. 

ANYWAY, talk about marriage, not necessarily your brother or FSIL.  Read a marriage poem, give marriage advice... I'm sure you'll figure it out.

• Good luck... I am sure you will do a wonderful job.

And I am sure with the connection and closeness you have with your brother that this will mean alot to him - and you!

Have a wonderful weekend.

• It's hilarious to me and my (immediate) family, because I have quite a few...conservative..aunts and uncles. Conservative in that, at my wedding reception they scoffed at rap music and didn't dance (of course, that didn't stop me and my drunk friends and my parents from dancing).

I can't wait to see what kind of scowling I'll get for officiating my brother's wedding...or being a Reverend in the Universal Life Church (they're devout Catholics).

I've already found a poem to use, and for the rest of it, I think I'll have to stick with the traditional marriage talk. I want to save the embarassing stories about my brother for the rehearsal dinner and reception.

• You will definitely have to post an update on Monday and let us know how it went.

Hope is not a strategy.
  • This is an awesome post - props to you for agreeing to officiate at the last minute, and good luck with the sermon! I'm sure you'll figure something out, and it will definitely be a great memory...please don't forget to update! 

• image spiffyabigail:

I can't wait to see what kind of scowling I'll get for officiating my brother's wedding...or being a Reverend in the Universal Life Church (they're devout Catholics).

FI's cousin is marrying us and she is this too.  And we are in a family of very devout Catholics.  I have already heard a few comments.  The last time I heard it, I said "FI and I are damned either way and we might as well take Cousin with us and make it a party!"

• Actually this is really charming. I'd use the passage from Ruth about whither thou goest; and the old fashioned vows (minus the obey part). Good luck!

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • image Sue_sue:
    old fashioned vows (minus the obey part). Good luck!

At our church (Southern Baptist), they now use "love, honor and cherish."  Works well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My uncle is a priest and married us.  It was very special and wonderful.  He didn't do anything cutsie or overly personal.  He just took his role seriously and professionally.  He spoke of family and commitment in his sermon and was thoughtful and clear throughout the ceremony.  It was a relief to have someone who cared about us and took a leadership role.   
    My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • I was in a wedding this weekend where the father (who is a Southern Baptist minister) performed the marriage ceremony for his daughter. It wasn't awkward at all. Actually, it was one of the most beautiful and heartfelt ceremonies I have ever seen!