Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

*yaaaaaaaaaawn*

I super love wasting my time.  After being in the ER for 6 hours last night, they told us the same stupid thing and sent us home.  I'm tired, once again I don't believe the diagnosis (since they wouldn't do a scrape test for some reason), and W hasn't gotten any better.  

Also, since we were in the ER until 2, M woke up late and his CPT was a diick about it telling him that he was 'sick of hearing excuses.'  Umm, yeah M has never been late or made excuses thank you very much.  You must not have kids. 

Re: *yaaaaaaaaaawn*

• Have you been applying the cream your doctor gave you?  It's going to take a few days to start showing results.  And if he's touching it (like little kids tend to do) it may spread to other parts of his body.

Kids or not, your H's Captain is right, he has a job and he needs to be there on time.  Not getting enough sleep is not a valid excuse.  Had W just been released from the ER at 05:59 and your H was due in work at 06:00 then I could see being late.

[center][url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttfe42b.aspx[/img][/url]
    [url=http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thenest.com/tickers/ttd8d88.aspx[/img][/url] [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/29fci0i.jpg[/IMG]
    <p><p>

[url=http://akathewife.com/]Also Known As...the Wife[/url][/center]
  • If more than one Doctor has told you the same thing, I would go with that and do what they tell you.  You are not a doctor!

• I have been doing what they tell me, but that doesn't mean I believe their diagnosis.  

And M did make it on time, he just didn't make it 15 minutes early.  He woke up at 6:30 and was supposed to be there at 7.  He's never been late before, ever.  Getting 3 hours of sleep is generally not a good way to start your day. 

• imagehotmomma1:

I have been doing what they tell me, but that doesn't mean I believe their diagnosis.  

And M did make it on time, he just didn't make it 15 minutes early.  He woke up at 6:30 and was supposed to be there at 7.  He's never been late before, ever.  Getting 3 hours of sleep is generally not a good way to start your day. 

Well I guess now we know to keep a car seat at home in case of emergencies!  That way you can go with out him and he can get an adequate amount of sleep.

• Is your LO running a fever? Does he have loose stool? Vomiting? etc???

What are the OTHER symptoms that besides the skin rash? Is it hot to the touch? Is he coughing?

Could it be a food allergy?

Think outside the box and YES, until you are told otherwise listen to the dr's.

Have you requested a referral to a dermatologist?

And YES, I totally agree that you need to keep the carseat at home - or drop YH off at work... or have him carpool with someone. It isn't SAFE for you to be home with no way to transport your child.

• imageDolly Pants:
    imagehotmomma1:

I have been doing what they tell me, but that doesn't mean I believe their diagnosis.  

Well I guess now we know to keep a car seat at home in case of emergencies!  That way you can go with out him and he can get an adequate amount of sleep.

Yep.  He left it at home today just in case.  We honestly didn't think we were going to spend 6 hours there.  He just has to get through today then 3 weeks of leave!  Thank goodness.  I'm ready for a vacation. 

• imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

Is your LO running a fever? Does he have loose stool? Vomiting? etc???

What are the OTHER symptoms that besides the skin rash? Is it hot to the touch? Is he coughing? No cough, but he's running a low-grade fever.  I'm more or less attesting that to teething, as did the doctors last night.

Could it be a food allergy? This is my thought but the doctors have yet to listen to my request to do an allergy test.

Think outside the box and YES, until you are told otherwise listen to the dr's.

Have you requested a referral to a dermatologist? They also will not refer us.  I've asked, both times they told me they couldn't do it because they were not his PCM.  I think I'm going to call TRICARE today and see if they can do it over the phone.

And YES, I totally agree that you need to keep the carseat at home - or drop YH off at work... or have him carpool with someone. It isn't SAFE for you to be home with no way to transport your child.

• No, you can't do it over the phone, and no THEY can't because they are not his PCM.

Did the rash show up with the fever? If it did you can also chalk it up to teething.

What type of PJ's is LO wearing? Did you switch laundry det or fabric softner?

Has there been an environmental change?

I think you need to calm down a little bit. Not being snarky, but rashes are part of baby life. They fart funny and get a rash, they get hot... rash, they eat something new... rash.

If he isn't running a REAL fever then you need to just relax, listen to the doctors, keep his skin cool and dry.

• I think a lot of doctor's hesitate on the allergy tests on children as little as your son because it involves a lot of pricking with needles ecspecially if you don't know what your looking for.  When I took my daughter in for her allergies this year the peditrician told me that unless it was a food allergy and was dangerous (throat swelling up) they avoid them on smaller children. 

My sister had it done on my niece when she was 4 or 5 and regrets it to this day.   They had to prick her with like 20 needles on one spot and then her skin didn't react so they had to go to a different spot on her body and start over.  I couldn't imagine putting a baby through that unless you know for sure and it becomes dangerous. 

• I thought you were at the ER?  They aren't going to do an allergy test or give you a referral.

Make an appointment with his PCM, and in the meantime use the cream.  It takes awhile for ringworm to clear up.  

And "he must not have kids" is a stupid thing to say.  Kids or not, get to work in a timely manner. I had a boss who once said "to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late and to late is inexcusable." 

Fuuck TTC - I'm moving on.
    imageimageimageimage
    "It's a child, not a cheeto" Thanks mmariluh!
    "Ew. I've read all of two posts from you, and you stink like rotting garbage."
  • His pedi deployed right? Call TriCare, tell them that and ask for a new pedi/PCM to be assigned.  Then see said dr and get a referral.
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/25tc21k.jpg[/IMG]
  • wait - wait - wait...

You haven't been to a PCM at ALL? You haven't been assigned a new Dr.?

It is SOP that TriCare assigns a new PCM once yours (kids too) is no longer available. You need to call TODAY.

An ER doc is not going to know every skin condition under the sun, and they are not going to order tests if the rash is not life threatening.

:::shakes head in disbelief:::

PLEASE tell me I missed something in all of this.

• Sorry, I was napping.  

We have not been given a new PCM yet.  The lady I talked to tried to find him one the other day and then gave up and told me to make an Acute Care appointment.  

I would probably be a lot more relaxed about things if he didn't scream in pain every time I put a damn shirt on the kid.  Absolutely nothing has changed in this household, I'm allergic to everything under the freaking sun so we don't take chances with him.  They can do a blood allergy test where they poke him with ONE needle and draw blood, then test the blood.  They don't always do a scratch test.  Just sayin'.  

Also, I have been putting the Nystatin on him.  I'm not expecting it to make it go away in 2 days, but I am kind of expecting it to not make whatever it is flare more.   

• Not only can those test hurt babies, they're also probably really expensive for tricare to do just because you "demand" one.  If two doctors say it's ringworm and they say it should get better, just give it a little time.  I just googled and there's quite a few things that says it gets worse before it gets better. 

I'm sorry he is in pain, and I know you are his mommy and you want him to be happy, but this is one of those times that you have taken him to the Dr.  They have said what to do.  Do it, wait it out, and if he shows no improvement in a couple of days, go back.

• Whatever.  You guys can believe what you want but you don't see it so you don't really know.  I'm not trying to be snarky but I've had enough of this from Drs in the past couple of days.  Spreading to his face =/= 'getting worse before it gets better.'  

And I just tried to call TRICARE to change his PCM and I have to go in and do it.  Awesome, not like I'm leaving tomorrow or anything.  I think I'll change it to our Dr in Iowa and see what she says.

If it was your kid going through it, would you want a test done that could possibly prevent it from happening again? 

• imageKiller Cupcake:

Yes. Spreading to his face DOES mean getting worse before it gets better. 

And I'm sorry, where did you get your medical degree from?

You got a second opinion and it AGREED with your first opinion. What more do you want right now? You gave the first treatment less than 24 hours to start working before you deemed it ineffective.  

And no, you can't just switch care to Iowa and then back to your duty station for one visit to a doctor. It doesn't work like that.

Prevent what from happening again? You haven't given this treatment any time to even work.

You're being ridiculous. Sorry, but you are. You should have called your H home from work, called a cab, or talked to the two gay guys upstairs from you considering how urgent this is to you. It wasn't the end of the world while you were waiting, but now that two different doctors have given you the same diagnosis, which you're unhappy with, it is. 

Thank you!

Everything KC said.

Just listen. You have no reason to go against your first or second opinion.

• imageKiller Cupcake:

Yes. Spreading to his face DOES mean getting worse before it gets better. 

And I'm sorry, where did you get your medical degree from?

You got a second opinion and it AGREED with your first opinion. What more do you want right now? You gave the first treatment less than 24 hours to start working before you deemed it ineffective.  

And no, you can't just switch care to Iowa and then back to your duty station for one visit to a doctor. It doesn't work like that.

Prevent what from happening again? You haven't given this treatment any time to even work.

You're being ridiculous. Sorry, but you are. You should have called your H home from work, called a cab, or talked to the two gay guys upstairs from you considering how urgent this is to you. It wasn't the end of the world while you were waiting, but now that two different doctors have given you the same diagnosis, which you're unhappy with, it is. 

All of this.

The military expects you to be early ALL the time, it's a fact of life, kids or not.

• Also, I feel like I have to say this.  It was completely irresponsible for you to be at home with your baby with no car seat.  Then, not DO anything about it.

• Okay, how about we just drop it?  You guys have your thoughts, and I have mine.  I have a mother's intuition that has been right before when 4 other doctors were wrong.  It doesn't look like Ringworm, there's really no possible way he would have gotten it and, from my experience with M getting it, it does not spread this quickly.

The second opinion was crap.  M told them I had been told it was Ringworm and they said 'Well then that's probably what it is.'  When I asked them to test it (standard procedure generally) they told me they didn't need to.  Again, he look at it for all of 5 seconds.  I never once said that I was going against the doctors instructions.  I believe I said that I was using the cream and it was inflaming it more.  Do with that what you will.

And changing his PCM to our Dr in Iowa was a joke... jeebus. 

• Whoa whoa whoa. Chick you need to chill the eff out. You got the same diagnosis from two different doctors who went to freaking med school for this. Put the damn cream on the rash and give it time. Like KC said, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

And the "you must not have kids" comment, oh honey that is so far out of line you made a new road.

Just chill, child.

2010 AthensGAHalf official time: 2:37:15
    2011 AthensGAHalf official time: 2:33:31

Ze Blog
  • imageDolly Pants:

Also, I feel like I have to say this.  It was completely irresponsible for you to be at home with your baby with no car seat.  Then, not DO anything about it.

How did I not do anything about it?  I called M, he asked to leave to take his kid to the hospital, his Captain told him no.  I called people that I know that possibly could have taken us and they couldn't.  We don't know anyone here with kids, so I don't know what exactly I was supposed to DO.  We left as soon as he got home, I have the car seat today in case something does come up.   

• My youngest had an allergy test around 5 months old. It was one prick, not a skin allergy test but a blood test. I think that a lot of people are assuming that you are wanting him skin tested, etc. I wanted one done as soon as possible when we took him in to the ER for his eczema that was infected on his face but they couldn't. They had me get a referral from his PCM to the Dermatologist because we were on Prime where referrals were required. Even then, it took about 1 week until we found out the results. 

I think that you should continue to treat him with the medications that you've been given.

Go online and find the PCM that you want to switch to. Fax in the paperwork by the 20th and go see them as soon as they have an appointment available after July 1st.

If you switch to Standard you won't have to have a referral and you can just contact a dermatologist directly and schedule an appointment.

If he's in pain from it have you tried giving Benadryl to help alleviate the itch of it? If itching isn't a concern give him some Motrin/Tylenol or what you typically use for fevers and pain.

I know how frustrating it can be when your child has a skin problem. I am not sure if you saw the PIP I did the other day of my LO but his entire face from his cheeks down (not nose though) was covered in eczema and had a staph infection and his own damn pediatrician didn't REALIZE it was staph etc. So, I get how hard it is to need to switch PCM's but have to wait for the next appointment and to wait until your insurance has switched your PCM's.

Also, when our child's skin got completely ridiculous and the pediatrician wasn't helping us we went to the nearest Children's Hospital. That was where we found out we needed to do x,y,z immediately and then a,b,c to do follow ups, testing, etc.

Good luck!  

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/rka6nk.jpg[/IMG]
    6/50
  • This is entirely counter productive of me but your excessive posting and whining about every little thing that happens to you has become annoying. Maybe you should spend less time on the computer and more time taking care of your kid. I'm not calling you a bad mother but you definitely spend way too much time b*tching on here and posting about nothing. 

Call me a b*tch for saying that but frankly, it looks like you need everyone on here to tell you what to do instead of you just figuring it out yourself. It's one thing to use the web as a resource but it's an entirely different thing to use it as a way to not learn things on your own. "OMG! W ate a booger, what do I do?!" Yes, a slight exaggeration and I'm sorry that your child is in pain but I just don't get how he can be in so much pain yet his mom is online all day. 

You are not a Doctor. Two of them have given you the same diagnosis. You are being impatient and I'm starting to feel like you just crave the attention that comes with posting the stuff you do. You're either AWing your kid, bad crap happening to you or posting the most useless nonsense I've ever read on here...EVER.

I mostly keep quiet about crap like this but every time I come on here it's like 3457235 posts by you and they are about nothing. Use your FB or create a Twitter account for that. I hope W gets better but listen to the advice you were given and chill the eff out.

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2exyblx.jpg[/IMG]<p><p>
    Winning ain't easy
  • imageblueshirt2003:

My youngest had an allergy test around 5 months old. It was one prick, not a skin allergy test but a blood test. I think that a lot of people are assuming that you are wanting him skin tested, etc. I wanted one done as soon as possible when we took him in to the ER for his eczema that was infected on his face but they couldn't. They had me get a referral from his PCM to the Dermatologist because we were on Prime where referrals were required. Even then, it took about 1 week until we found out the results. 

I think that you should continue to treat him with the medications that you've been given.

Go online and find the PCM that you want to switch to. Fax in the paperwork by the 20th and go see them as soon as they have an appointment available after July 1st.

If you switch to Standard you won't have to have a referral and you can just contact a dermatologist directly and schedule an appointment.

If he's in pain from it have you tried giving Benadryl to help alleviate the itch of it? If itching isn't a concern give him some Motrin/Tylenol or what you typically use for fevers and pain.

I know how frustrating it can be when your child has a skin problem. I am not sure if you saw the PIP I did the other day of my LO but his entire face from his cheeks down (not nose though) was covered in eczema and had a staph infection and his own damn pediatrician didn't REALIZE it was staph etc. So, I get how hard it is to need to switch PCM's but have to wait for the next appointment and to wait until your insurance has switched your PCM's.

Also, when our child's skin got completely ridiculous and the pediatrician wasn't helping us we went to the nearest Children's Hospital. That was where we found out we needed to do x,y,z immediately and then a,b,c to do follow ups, testing, etc.

Good luck!  

Thank you.  We have been using the cream, and I will continue using the cream until told to do otherwise.  

I'm sorry that you guys don't understand where I'm coming from, but this is my child and I'm going to do what I can to make it better, if that means getting a 3rd or 4th opinion, so be it. 

• imageBBgurl:

This is entirely counter productive of me but your excessive posting and whining about every little thing that happens to you has become annoying. Maybe you should spend less time on the computer and more time taking care of your kid. I'm not calling you a bad mother but you definitely spend way too much time b*tching on here and posting about nothing. 

Call me a b*tch for saying that but frankly, it looks like you need everyone on here to tell you what to do instead of you just figuring it out yourself. It's one thing to use the web as a resource but it's an entirely different thing to use it as a way to not learn things on your own. "OMG! W ate a booger, what do I do?!" Yes, a slight exaggeration and I'm sorry that your child is in pain but I just don't get how he can be in so much pain yet his mom is online all day. 

You are not a Doctor. Two of them have given you the same diagnosis. You are being impatient and I'm starting to feel like you just crave the attention that comes with posting the stuff you do. You're either AWing your kid, bad crap happening to you or posting the most useless nonsense I've ever read on here...EVER.

I mostly keep quiet about crap like this but every time I come on here it's like 3457235 posts by you and they are about nothing. Use your FB or create a Twitter account for that. I hope W gets better but listen to the advice you were given and chill the eff out.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm actually only online during his naps.  I'll get on from my phone while M is driving somewhere or get on once W is in bed and M wants to watch his own show or whatever.  Feel free to think what you want, but my kid is asleep right now and I'm not neglecting him. 

• imageKiller Cupcake:

I'm pretty sure like 4 different people told you to call a cab and told you that most places offer car seats if needed... Which you said you were going to look into.

So how did that search go?

Mothers intuition is great and all, but if more than one doctor agrees with a diagnosis, thats probably what it is.

And I did call.  No one had car seats.  I called 13 different companies, actually.  But you guys don't think it's a big deal, so I don't understand why you are freaking out about me not going right away.

• Holy crap... this thread went to hell in a handbasket didn't it.

flibbityjibbit.

• imagehotmomma1:
    imageKiller Cupcake:

I'm pretty sure like 4 different people told you to call a cab and told you that most places offer car seats if needed... Which you said you were going to look into.

So how did that search go?

Mothers intuition is great and all, but if more than one doctor agrees with a diagnosis, thats probably what it is.

And I did call.  No one had car seats.  I called 13 different companies, actually.  But you guys don't think it's a big deal, so I don't understand why you are freaking out about me not going right away.

No, no.  We're saying we don't think it's a big deal, but if YOU thought it was such a big deal, you should have done more.

BBgurl, again, we agree.  Seriously, this is some sort of record.

• imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

Holy crap... this thread went to hell in a handbasket didn't it.

flibbityjibbit.

Yeah, it did.

2010 AthensGAHalf official time: 2:37:15
    2011 AthensGAHalf official time: 2:33:31

Ze Blog
  • imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

Holy crap... this thread went to hell in a handbasket didn't it.

flibbityjibbit.

View Image I'll shareStick out tongue