Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Running in the morning

I've been trying to run in the morning before it gets too warm and the day gets away from me. The problem is I run horribly in the morning! My afternoon/evening runs are always my best. Any tips to help my morning runs improve?

Re: Running in the morning

• Keep trying! Are you eating anything before you go? Make sure you hydrate well the day before, too. And of course, bring water/fuel if you need it.

• Definitely eat before you go...just something small and easy to digest.  I can have a small bowl of cereal with almond milk about 30 minutes before heading out the door and it helps a LOT
    Food Blog: Cate's World Kitchen
    Ellie Jane - 9/12/11
    Post-partum races!
    11/6 - Kennedy Drive 8K: 36:27 (7:20 pace)
    12/4 - North Face Trail Half Marathon: 2:10 (9:27 pace)
    12/11 - Arts and Sciences 5K: 21:56 (7:03 pace)
    1/8 - Golden Gate Park 10K: 44:30 (7:09 pace) PR!
    1/22 - Waterfront 5K: 20:54 (6:43 pace) PR!
  • Keep at it.

Your body needs to adjust to being so active in the morning. When I first switched to morning runs it sucked. I didn't like getting up earlier, my body felt like it was in a funk, etc. Eventually, after about a week or two of steady morning runs, my body adjusted. I figured out what worked best for me in terms of "breakfast" and now I'm so adjusted to getting up early my body considers 7am sleeping in!

~~run.around.aroo: The Life of the Wannabe Runner that Lives Inside Me~~
  • I have been doing this too. I struggle with getting out of bed to begin with; getting up even earlier just to eat something has not been happening. I have noticed that if I stay really well hydrated and eat well-balanced meals the day before things go alright. If I go to a post-work happy hour and don't get home until 10, the run predictably is a little rough.
  • I have to have coffee before I run.?I?usually?eat?toast?with?pb?too.
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have a handful of shredded wheat and either 1/2 banana or some grapes before my morning run - I would die without that little bit of fuel!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been eating 1 square of dark chocolate and drinking a 1/2 c. of milk before my runs and then having another 1/2 c. of milk after my runs and it seems to help a lot. 
  • Ugh, I feel your pain.  I hate running in the morning but it's a necessary evil in the summer.

You'll get somewhat used to it after a couple of weeks.  Even though I don't think I ever *fully* adjust and run as well as I would later in the day, it *does* get easier.

I don't eat anything before I go in the morning, but I do make sure I drink plenty of water the night before so I don't wake up super dehydrated.

Blog:
    Blog: Eat, Drink and Run
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Last Race: California International Marathon - December 4, 2011 - 3:29:18, 7:59 pace
    Next Race: ARun for Young 5K - January 7, 2012
  • I'm the opposite.  I love running in the morning (hate waking up, but it's worth it).  I hate running in the afternoons.  I do terrribly.  I don't know why?  Maybe I'm wiped out at that point.

Before running I have a mini luna bar usually.  Then I have my 1% chocolate milk after running. 

• It takes some time getting used to a new workout time but if you do it long enough it'll be just like brushing your teeth in the am.  I used to be a afternoon/evening runner but now that it's getting hot I run in the am now.  Plus, DS is my alarm clock since he usually wakes up at 6-7ish for his am feeding and I'll just go for a run after I finish feeding him.  And if you want to improve your time, there's nothing like taking a run with a screaming kid that will make you want to get home a little faster.  Ha.