Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

? for swimmers

I am brand new to swimming and am planning to take some performance swim classes to learn how to swim and hopefully someday do a sprint triathlon. My question is; what is the best swimsuit to buy for training? Are there any brands that are better? Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ? for swimmers

• Any brand that fits you well! Speedo, TYR, etc. I ALWAYS use polyester suits, ALWAYS!! They last forever. I have one that is over 5 years old and it still looks brand new. I just bought a new one becuase I wanted a different style. I love the lingerie straps they are much thinner than the maxback strap.
  • Thanks for the info. I had no clue they made polyester swimsuits! Where do you normally buy yours?
  • There is a local swim shop I go to. I actually saw some great Speedos at Marshalls the other day for $14.99, but passed.I usually never see workout suits at Marshalls and was quite surprised. If you know your size you can also order from www.swimoutlet.com

• Ditto Joenali - the polyester suit is worth it. I paid about $70 or so for a Tyr and love it. No more saggy bum after a couple months.

Look at sports stores. I got mine at a swim suit store at the mall, but now that I know my size I might buy online in the future. Make sure to get a cap and goggles too - I didn't right away, and it was a mistake. It's so much easier with them.

• What kind of caps are best? I have seen a few different kinds as far as material. Thanks for all of the info!
  • I have a few swimming tips in my blog. As for caps you can get cloth (which I wouldn't get), latex (recommend unless you have an allergry) silicone (easier to put on, but much thicker, I don't like them, use in place of a latex cap).
  • Nike makes HORRIBLE suits. Stick with TYR or Speedo. They make very comfortable suits that last a long time. I personally like the thicker straps better but that is just my preference. swim2000.com normally has better deals than other places.

As for caps the latex ones are the best unless you have an allergy. Then go with silicon. 

• image ms.c.seattle:

Nike makes HORRIBLE suits. Stick with TYR or Speedo. They make very comfortable suits that last a long time.

See, now I love my Nike suit and hate every Speedo suit I've ever owned -- they fade and the ass is hanging down to my knees after about two months.

It's just a matter of personal preference, I guess.

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • The other ladies have given you great advice about suits.

As far as caps go - I use latex ones, but I run into issues with them sometimes feeling like they're going to pull my hair out.  I typically used silicon caps for races (swim meets) because it was easier to take it off in between events and put it back on (without my hair feeling like it's getting ripped out of my head)...but for a triathlon you won't have this problem, obviously.

I don't recommend cloth caps for races - but there's nothing wrong with using it for training.  It gives you a little bit of drag while training. 

• image zitiqueen:
    image ms.c.seattle:

Nike makes HORRIBLE suits. Stick with TYR or Speedo. They make very comfortable suits that last a long time.

See, now I love my Nike suit and hate every Speedo suit I've ever owned -- they fade and the ass is hanging down to my knees after about two months.

It's just a matter of personal preference, I guess.

I like my Nike suit too. But I bought one in polyester.

• Hey, I just went through a few swim training sessions and learned so much! page me anytime and GL. In the tri-sprints I've been in, they give you a swim cap at the event.
  • Hi Ladies, I will be moving to Huntsville with my husband from Dallas, TX and I  swim, bike and run. I am needing to know where everyone goes to do all 3. specific pool? place to meet and run or just a place where runners typically go? and where the heck to bike as I have learned the mountain bikers take control there. lol.

Thanks!!!