Trouble in Paradise
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Green Thumbs check in

How is everyone's garden going this year? What did you plant?

We got rain for nearly two weeks straight and our garden went crazy! I've already started harvesting banana peppers and the string beans aren't far behind -- same with the tomatoes!

We added on to our back deck with a new set of steps and I finally convinced DH to plant a gardenia bush (my fav summer flower!) yesterday

And, probably the most exciting: the apple trees we planted when we first bought the house are bearing fruit this year. Not a lot on either tree, they're both still small, but we should get at least a dozen apples off them in the fall! 

Re: Green Thumbs check in

• I planted gladiolus, canna and left the perennials as is.

All the perennials seem to be larger and taller than usual. We had a tremendous amount of raina and snow this past season...and the blueberries are already huge.

• I am the ultimate lazy gardener. Two years ago I planted two big, beautiful tomato plants and got lots of fruit. Last year I was too lazy bc I was pregnant, but I found that some tomato plants had started growing on their own back there, so I cleared out the weeds and let them grow. Same this year, although I do want to get a couple of slightly more mature plants in there, because last year my "heirlooms" matured so late that I couldn't harvest until very late in the season. 

I also have some miserable basil and Greek oregano that my MIL gave me... probably from Home Depot. They are growing like crap back there. 

Oh, and here's a question: my MIL also gave me a hydrangea. I planted it and it promptly died. Transplant shock or might I have done something wrong? They started drooping on day 2 and from there it was a swift demise. 

• Ibis, where did you plant the hydrangea? They're usually pretty resilient as a plant (though the flowers don't take to heat very well). 

I've found the hard way that hydrangeas don't do well in full sun. If it's salvageable, maybe try replanting it in partial shade.

We have a huge one next to the deck in full sun that has managed to survive and, when I added two more last year to fill up that side of the deck, one got totally fried -- it couldn't take the sun 

oh, and I'm diggin' Miles's shirt! 

• This is the first year DH and I are growing veggies, and I think I went a little crazy with the planting. The previous owners had a fenced cement pad with a doghouse. We got rid of the doghouse, put up a greenhouse, and now have mostly a tabletop garden. We have spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, onions, garlic, 4 types of tomatoes, 5 or so different kinds of hot peppers (for DH to make salsa), squash, cucumbers, cilantro, and I'm sure I am forgetting something. I told DH that we are either going to end up with more than we could possible eat, or end up with nothing at all.

Only half the stuff is outside day and night, we still get below 50 at night, and the basil and tomatoes don't do well, so they stay in the greenhouse. We don't have anything to harvest yet, but we do have flowers on a bunch of stuff. We just don't have a very long growing season here.

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/mmbdis.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/t6xkxy.jpg[/IMG]
  • image LuckyVaCpl:

Ibis, where did you plant the hydrangea? They're usually pretty resilient as a plant (though the flowers don't take to heat very well). 

I've found the hard way that hydrangeas don't do well in full sun. If it's salvageable, maybe try replanting it in partial shade.

We have a huge one next to the deck in full sun that has managed to survive and, when I added two more last year to fill up that side of the deck, one got totally fried -- it couldn't take the sun 

oh, and I'm diggin' Miles's shirt! 

It's in the front of the house which is pretty shaded by a huge maple. I don't know, I'm blaming Home Depot. Stick out tongue

Isn't that shirt cute? My mom bought it for him. :) 

• I'm a little jealous. We just got ours planted last weekend. Plants have started to come up though! If the nice weather continues, I'm hoping to have beans and peas the first week of July. Yummm
    TTC#1 Lap #1 Jan 2009, Lap #2 April 2010, Lap #3 April 2011, Clomid cycle #1 Twin A&B born January 19th, 2012!
    [IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/afasue.jpg[/IMG]
  • I'm fighting to keep a Ca Oak that Iplanted alive and a tomato plant going. I have a black thumb but I keep trying.
    Time to put on your big girl panties

I've got your rainbows and ponies right here
  • I only the have the time to maintain a "container" garden. We usually get two tomato plans and some herbs (rosemary, sage, basil, thyme) and maybe one other vegetable.  I am not a fan of weeding, so a larger garden is out.