June 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WWYD: re forwarded email clicky poll

Sorry it's long!

One of DH's more distant relatives forwarded the following email (in italics). I guess it was BCC because I have no idea to whom it was sent other than myself. In all honesty, it pissed me off. Email forwards sometimes do. Usually I reply all with a link to Snopes and am done,but this one really got me, perhaps because I have had Muslim students in the past?

She doesn't know me well enough to send things like that in my opinion, not to mention it has several half-truths. My gut reaction is to reply all the response I have written. I can guess who the email was sent to though and I am betting my response would not be well received. Part of me thinks I should just let it go. My reply so far is in bold below the email. What would you do?

Apparently, the hearts and butterflies are intended to distract the American people who won?t question what the rest means.. . . who may NOT realize that it?s Arabic, and probably not something they would knowingly support. ? UGH!!!

New Stamp - the second one!!! USPS New 44-Cent Stamp Celebrates a Muslim holiday. If there is only ONE thing you forward today... let it be this!

President Obama has directed the United States Postal Service to REMEMBER and HONOR the EID MUSLIM holiday season with a 44-Cent First Class Postage Stamp.

All you have to say is "No thank you, I do not want that Muslim Stamp on my letters!"

To use this stamp would be a slap in the face to all AMERICANS who died at the hands of the people this stamp honors. Instead, please Honor the United States of America !

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of Pan Am Flight 103!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Marine Barracks in Lebanon !

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Military Barracks in Saudi Arabia !

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the American Embassies in Africa !

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the USS COLE!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM attack on 9/11/2001 !

REMEMBER all the AMERICAN lives that were lost in those vicious MUSLIM attacks!

If you are a Patriotic American please pass this along.

The stamp honoring the Muslim holiday of Eid has been out for several years. The one shown below is not a USPS stamp, it is from a create your own stamp website called Zazzle (it says Zazzle.com on it). You can read more about what below is true and false here: http://www.snopes.com/politics/stamps/eidstamp.asp

I mean no offense, but I do believe it's important to remember that there are many Muslim Americans that have nothing to do with terrorism, have lost family members to terrorism, and even have fought, and lost their lives, for our country. I am a patriotic American, but I wouldn't boycott Christmas stamps for the acts of the "Christians" of Westboro Baptist Church who protest "in the name of God" at the funerals of our soldiers who were killed protecting our country. I also wouldn't boycott Eid stamps for the acts of terrorists who claim to act in the name their god.

ETA: SS

[poll]

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: WWYD: re forwarded email clicky poll

• I've received forwarded e-mails before that really bothered me and I "replied to all" with a very cohesive argument. I didn't let shiit fly, I simply stated my thoughts and backed it up with some good stuff.

Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do you think the response is ok? I tried to be polite but wrote it as soon as I got it and then thought I might want to wait before sending it. My intention is not to get the shiit flying, I'm just afraid it might if I reply all no matter how polite I am.
  • star678star678 member
    Sixth Anniversary

Your response is perfect and thoughtful.  Reply all!

Too many times we get shiz like this in our inboxes and just let it go...and I'm guilty of that too.  Sometimes I get so angry at the stuff that shows up in my inbox and it makes me rethink the people I let into my life.

But honestly, your reply is tactful, honest, backed up by fact, and thoughtful, and it could change even one person's perspective to a less ignorant and hateful one.  So it's worth it, IMO.

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • I reply to all email forwards with the snopes link.

For a while, my mother would send the emails with a note at the top that "Sunshine608 will let us know if its true". Eventually people stopped sending her the crazy messages because they knew she would fw them to me and then I would unearth the truth.

No one send them to me anymore- one thing I cannot stand is misinformation and ignorance.

• image Lisa and Mickey:
    Do you think the response is ok? I tried to be polite but wrote it as soon as I got it and then thought I might want to wait before sending it. My intention is not to get the shiit flying, I'm just afraid it might if I reply all no matter how polite I am.

Your response is great--I don't know why I didn't mention that in my last reply. You did a good job with it--send it!!!

Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sent! Now we wait...
  • I know it's too late, but my stepdad's mom always sends me crap that is anti-Obama. I don't like Obama, but these people are HARD core... almost cultish with their hate. They live in rural Texas and are VERY conservative.

Their mentatlity makes me sad, and half of the stuff they forward to everyone has no substance.

I'm to the point now where I delete everything she sends... I don't even open her emails any more.

I am outspoken and do say what I think, but with her (and since it's via email), I just leave it alone.

Sometimes people are so set in their ways that it's like talking to a wall... they aren't going to consider what someone else says. I don't want to add fuel to the fire, especially since they are family.

To each her own- I dislike extremism of any kind.

• Just got her response:

I?ll respond from home computer.  (I was wrong to send this kind of thing from a work computer.)  You?re right- and I?m not offended at all. - c

No one else said anything so all is well (so far). :0)

• If she really did bcc all of the recipients, than I'm not sure they even will get your email even though you hit reply all. My dad does this frequently when sending out large emails as a way to protect our personal email addresses from being passed around the internet. I am 99% sure that reply all doesn't work in this case. I just don't want you to be surprised if no one else responds. Wish her response was a little more regretful though - oh well. I think you did the absolute right thing!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker